Seattle, Washington Area

Yippiee

Hey Folks - Looking for other Rev flyers to fly with in the Seattle area. (especially South - I live in Centralia - south of Olympia)

I would like to know some of your favorite spots to fly. Also, I would love to meet up with ya'll sometime for a little group flying.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks Mike

Hey Folks - Looking for other Rev flyers to fly with in the Seattle area. (especially South - I live in Centralia - south of Olympia)

I would like to know some of your favorite spots to fly. Also, I would love to meet up with ya'll sometime for a little group flying.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks Mike

There are some around the Vancouver/Portland area.

Hi mike, I live south of Tacoma. For areas to fly, your local parks can be decent places. Schoolyards with soccer or football Fields also can be good. Look for a park that is on ground a little higher then the surrounding area, this will maximize air pressure and increase wind speed somewhat. Try to stay away from trees, buildings and other large objects, this will cause turbulence and make flying a real challenge.

• 3 months later...

looks like the perfect thread for us seattle folks to post on our fields...hope you do not mind, mike...as of lately, sarah & i fly at marymoor park in redmond...for eastsiders, it is a short drive compared to the major expedition to kite hill in seattle...big field with relatively clean wind for inland...has its share of goose poop & mole hills...scarcely any general public walking through your flying space, dogs are on leash on that rare occasion...we use marybelle meadow, which is across the street from the rc airport...that's right, a separate field for kites & radio controlled aircraft, it has always been in my experience, that the sport that gets to the field first gets to use it...have never seen a park where rc & kites could coexist...there are other fields in marymoor, we have seen dual & single line flyers across the street, but marybelle meadow is large, could easily host events here...indoor bathrooms are next to softball fields & porto whatevers across street...

parking a slight issue, we park on the gravel road that runs through the field, or on grass, according to the wishes of the park staff...we generally meet them when they check to see that we have paid for parking, the park charges one dollar to park...machines located conveniently for this...if you have the receipt, they tend to let you stay parked by the field, if not you are asked to move to the parking lot across the street...park staff is polite & your good natured response will pay off generally...

marymoor sponsors concerts in the park & we have had the treat of flying to live music located in the concert stage area...during concert season, large banners are out that are perfect for wind speed & direction...eagles, hawks, herons, a birdwatchers delight...

http://your.kingcoun..._map_web_09.pdf

http://www.kingcount...SiteWEB600.ashx

so, how about it seattle folks, would you post some of your favorite local spots also...glenn

Edited by boomzilla

just a quickie on a seattle classic, kite hill...on a good day, it does not get any better...an absolutely gorgeous view, boats, kite boarders, those lake airplanes, & eagles...easy parking, room for a chair or blanket...no goose poop ever...short walk to bathrooms, even a lake swim when in season...

on the minus, can be overcrowded...sunbathers who set up in your space, new kiters with no kite etiquette, dogs off leash, strollers walking under your kites...we have even seen a guy several times who sets up a para kite & tries to fly away, totally unaware of anything but himself...we have yet to see him get away..

on a weekday, you may be able to fly on 120's...most of the time we fly on much shorter lines, 75's...the reason we keep coming back is the wonderful winds that come off the lake...on those days it is flying like you only get at the beach...g

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/magnuson/kite.htm

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/magnuson/directions.htm

• 1 year later...

looks like the perfect thread for us seattle folks to post on our fields...hope you do not mind, mike...as of lately, sarah & i fly at marymoor park in redmond...for eastsiders, it is a short drive compared to the major expedition to kite hill in seattle...big field with relatively clean wind for inland...has its share of goose poop & mole hills...scarcely any general public walking through your flying space, dogs are on leash on that rare occasion...we use marybelle meadow, which is across the street from the rc airport...that's right, a separate field for kites & radio controlled aircraft, it has always been in my experience, that the sport that gets to the field first gets to use it...have never seen a park where rc & kites could coexist...there are other fields in marymoor, we have seen dual & single line flyers across the street, but marybelle meadow is large, could easily host events here...indoor bathrooms are next to softball fields & porto whatevers across street...

parking a slight issue, we park on the gravel road that runs through the field, or on grass, according to the wishes of the park staff...we generally meet them when they check to see that we have payed for parking, the park charges one dollar to park...machines located conveniently for this...if you have the receipt, they tend to let you stay parked by the field, if not you are asked to move to the parking lot across the street...park staff is polite & your good natured response will pay off generally...

marymoor sponsors concerts in the park & we have had the treat of flying to live music located in the concert stage area...during concert season, large banners are out that are perfect for wind speed & direction...eagles, hawks, herons, a birdwatchers delight...

http://your.kingcoun..._map_web_09.pdf

http://www.kingcount...SiteWEB600.ashx

so, how about it seattle folks, would you post some of your favorite local spots also...glenn

I like Marymoor but for me 60acre Park off of Willows Rd and 124th is sweeeeeet!! The wind shoots down the valley and there is no obstructions.

Here: Sammamish River Regional Park, Redmond, Washington. Just type it into Google maps.

Whenever any of you want to fly shoot me an e-mail. Also join the local "Meetup Group" for kite flyers out of Kirkland!!

Edited by PNW Flyer

I wanna know of any places either in the San Juan Islands( I know of Fort Casey on Whidbey and Deception Pass State Park) OR places to hike into that take you to the tops of mountains!!

So far I know of a couple of good places one is inside Rainier and the other is off I-90 near Rattlesnake Lake. Anyone else??

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a great place in Everett. 615 13th St. It's an open field at the marina, right behind jetty island, but no ferry to deal with. Wind comes right off the water. Check windonthewater.com for conditions. The sensor is right across the water on Jetty Island (placed there by the kite boarders).

• 1 year later...

*Bump*

I'm a new Rev flier living in Seattle. Does anyone here still live in the Seattle area? Interested in meeting up to fly a bit? I've been out at Gas Works and tried Magnuson a few times (no wind, boo!), would love to discover other great places, ideally within and hour (and change) drive, but really anywhere in the region.

*Bump*

I'm a new Rev flier living in Seattle. Does anyone here still live in the Seattle area? Interested in meeting up to fly a bit? I've been out at Gas Works and tried Magnuson a few times (no wind, boo!), would love to discover other great places, ideally within and hour (and change) drive, but really anywhere in the region.

Sorry to say space is limited for good open flying in the Seattle area. :(

Most folks go a bit south the Tacoma/Lakewood area and fly at Chambers Bay http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/chambersbay.asp?id=232&page=7996

As you pull in to Chamber's Bay, do not take a right into the Golf parking area, but take a left to the winding road down that leads to the lower field.

Beautiful field! PCKA has their monthly Fun Flies there. http://www.pcka.info/

T

Sorry to say space is limited for good open flying in the Seattle area. :(

Most folks go a bit south the Tacoma/Lakewood area and fly at Chambers Bay http://www.chambersb...d=232&page=7996

As you pull in to Chamber's Bay, do not take a right into the Golf parking area, but take a left to the winding road down that leads to the lower field.

Beautiful field! PCKA has their monthly Fun Flies there. http://www.pcka.info/

T

As long as the winds are decent, Magnuson Park has several large, open grass fields that are excellent for open flying, as well as a few baseball fields that are nice. There are also a couple of turf fields, but I have yet to devise a way to anchor the kite on turf without using a stake. Kite hill has been quite crowded with people out on picnics and lounging around on the hill, not the ideal place to fly.

I also came across a nice field at the Beacon Hill Skatepark (beside the golf course). It looks as though few people know about it because I have yet to see anyone else there except a couple of kids playing frisbee.

I'll definitely check out Chambers Bay when I get the chance to drive down.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As long as the winds are decent, Magnuson Park has several large, open grass fields that are excellent for open flying, as well as a few baseball fields that are nice. There are also a couple of turf fields, but I have yet to devise a way to anchor the kite on turf without using a stake. Kite hill has been quite crowded with people out on picnics and lounging around on the hill, not the ideal place to fly.

I also came across a nice field at the Beacon Hill Skatepark (beside the golf course). It looks as though few people know about it because I have yet to see anyone else there except a couple of kids playing frisbee.

I'll definitely check out Chambers Bay when I get the chance to drive down.

Cody - I use a 5lb weight to hold down my handles during setup on turf!! Kick it off to the side while I fly!!