Redundant SLE Rods

markmichel64

Question

Having swapped out the SLE rods over the weekend and replaced them with 1/4 inch ultralight form my new B series, I am much impressed with the improvement in flyability. Now this poses the question of what to do with the redundant SLE rods?

Sailor uses them as high tech tomato plant frame, but anyone got any other ideas.

I was thinking of bring my model yacht into the high tech era and giving it a carbon fibre racing mast.

mark :sq-grin:

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I'm not too proud to admit that I have used my SLE rods on my Vented B on at least 3 occasion lately .... Seems a no brainer when its as windy as it has been and your just having a quick fly and dont want to break anything... that and I used my broken race rods for my runner beans so dont have any other use for them ;)

I have to say I'm not in any great hurry to right mine off. When it's really howling mine still come out of the bag to play, not not often granted but they still have a home in my kite bag and I would be gutted if I lost them.

I like my SLE rods; they make the kite look really neat when it axels. It will usually spin two-and-a-half times with a single pop and rotates all nice and smooth and flat around its center axis. I've also found that the kite can handle a surprisingly wide wind range with an SLE; I was flying just fine with minimal pumping and movement in a 2-4mph breeze last Wednesday.

Not saying I won't all but ditch the SLE in anything but gales when I get some race rods, since that seems to automatically happen to everyone. But I can't imagine the axels will look as purty with the floppier sticks. :blue-music:

I use mine as a travel banner pole if I don't have room for a telescopic pole. Works very well and packs into a spare rev 1.5 bag along with the banner.

I'm using three end rods and two center rods and its the perfect length for a 10 foot banner. Oh, and I use a skyshark p300 as a spike into the sand.

Keep Smarties in them. With a complete SLE I calculate there is enough room for 453 Smarties, and it would protect them from getting crushed. The black would not be too good at reflecting heat though, so don't leave it in the sun.

You have far too much time on your hands - calculating the number of smarties - Excellent idea though & probably the best so far! In the absence of anything better, the prize (a tube of smarties) will be dispatched at short notice