2009 International Event

Felix

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW - anyone know the actual dates of Berck 2009 yet. I see that we have the US Spring break for my kids Apr 13 - 17 so if it tied in with that we could consider a trip.

Mark.

The 13th of April is Easter Monday. I have sent an e-mail to Gerard asking about the dates for Berck.

I wonder if all the 'formal' teams who attended Portsmouth and Bristol would be able to do Berck. If Team4Fun are listening it would be interesting to know if they would be at Berck anyway! We would be close to 60 then!

Felix

As its 'Pennies worth' day here's mine for what its worth..

I think these discussions go off on tangents because we don't state what the aim of the 'event' is and in particular what type of mega-team is planned ...

Is it:

1. Pro-teams combining at the end of a festival in the main arena to put on a display ... this should be organised between the teams involved and be by invitation only .. not necessarily a subject for public debate on here... if however as in Portsmouth some of us solo flyers get invited to participate then that's great but we have to understand there is a responsibility to the organisers/public to put on a show so if whoever making the call decides to cull us at any time that's just part of the deal.

or

2. World record attempts ... This is always going to involve non team flyers at some point ... It should also be hard and go wrong more often then not otherwise it doesn't have a lot of value as a world record ... If its at a festival then it needs to be at a time where the arena isn't going to be effected if the worst case scenario occurs.... Its still a 'team' event so as in any team there is going to be a range of abilities ... the skill being to fly to the lowest common denominator and still

achieve the required moves.. whatever the conditions.

or

3. Informal teams...Whatever the event we Rev flyers have a magnetic attraction and will end up sharing airspace ... the grid system gives us a way to get together in groups, join other groups and before you know it have a mini-mega-team going ... If the world record is a defined sequence of moves we can practice those for the day we get the chance to 'go to the show'.

Bottom line is either of the first 2 require organisation and someone has to be responsible for defining what's planned. I got the impression at Bristol there was a lot of finger pointing and blame shifting after Saturday which if it was an attempt at a world record shouldn't happen ... you enter the arena as a team and leave as a team, check your ego at the rope and give it your best shot, if you fail do it smiling and try and figure how to do I right next time .....

So for 2009 if there's a world record attempt being planned that's open to all ... let me know where and when :)

:sign_kitelife: well put mate.

BRIAN...

<snip>

you enter the arena as a team and leave as a team, check your ego at the rope and give it your best shot, if you fail, do it smiling, and try and figure how to do I right next time (commas added)

<snip>

Very well put. In my estimation, 'nobody' is currently qualified to criticise anyone who took part in the grid fly or worked on setting it up.

We will learn the lessons constructively and go forward.

Congratulations to all those who took part.

I am looking forward to seeing the NUMBERS taken higher, maybe at Berck in 2009 after Tokyo Bay in November 2008. As I said before, I am entirely disinterested in record breaking...

Felix

Very well put. In my estimation, 'nobody' is currently qualified to criticise anyone who took part in the grid fly or worked on setting it up.

I am looking forward to seeing the NUMBERS taken higher, maybe at Berck in 2009 after Tokyo Bay in November 2008. As I said before, I am entirely disinterested in record breaking...

Felix

:sign_kitelife: Well put mate. :)

Felix

I also think that the numbers although nice, are not the goal. When we did a 16 grid a while back it looked really nice, and with a bit of work "we dont do practice" could even be choreographed to music.

Thing is we are taking the size of these mega teams for granted now. Lets not forget what 2 line mega teams where like in there early days. They where very hap hazard. And if 8 kites were in the air at the end it was amazing !! Now The Flying Squad have a choreographed routine for upto 10 Rev's.

//X

Same as you Gary :) but without snow, I hope !

The 13th of April is Easter Monday. I have sent an e-mail to Gerard asking about the dates for Berck.

I wonder if all the 'formal' teams who attended Portsmouth and Bristol would be able to do Berck. If Team4Fun are listening it would be interesting to know if they would be at Berck anyway! We would be close to 60 then!

Felix

Berck also gets our five votes!

We hope to see all of you very soon.........

You should all have listened to me back at post #10 and saved yourselves 99 posts! Ha ha!

We might also have avoided the thankfully brief resurgence of Brit-embarrassing sniping back in the middle of the thread. I do not understand why some people seem incapable of taking advice or even hearing comment from people far more accomplished at this kite mularkey. To be honest, I don't really care, but it's becoming a real stain on this forum in my opinion. It seems that nothing was learned from the examplary attitude of our overseas visitors and the experienced flyers from here. What a shame.

You should all have listened to me back at post #10 and saved yourselves 99 posts! Ha ha!

We might also have avoided the thankfully brief resurgence of Brit-embarrassing sniping back in the middle of the thread. I do not understand why some people seem incapable of taking advice or even hearing comment from people far more accomplished at this kite mularkey. To be honest, I don't really care, but it's becoming a real stain on this forum in my opinion. It seems that nothing was learned from the examplary attitude of our overseas visitors and the experienced flyers from here. What a shame.

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for your input. I think that 'due process' is in order. (How else could I justify going to Uchinada earlier this year to meet with iQuad and the Japanese teams? I would really like to go to Tokyo Bay this November but....)

I think that the 'Brit' thing has now played out and that we are very well placed to approach the 2009 venues in a very positive manner.

Best wishes

Felix

I think that the 'Brit' thing has now played out and that we are very well placed to approach the 2009 venues in a very positive manner.

I'm sure, Felix. I certainly hope we all get together again in 2009 - hopefully more than once. I'd love to meet everyone again.

I'm sure, Felix. I certainly hope we all get together again in 2009 - hopefully more than once. I'd love to meet everyone again.

That would be great,but,

Including that Hotel Lassy you told me and Bruce about,,,,[starts gossip]

Just wondered pal,did ya get to see ,,Another Place,,,

C U SOON Fraser,stay well,be good.

BRIAN...

Update.

I just spoke to Gerard. He is enthusiastic about the possibility of a Revolution event at Berck-Plage 2009 but is concerned about Hotel accommodation etc.

The dates are 18 - 26 April 2009.

I would appreciate it if everyone could let me know if they would be interested in taking this forward. I will be speaking with Gerard again next week.

Thanks

Felix

Yes from me too - it sounds great. :kid_smartass:

...that Hotel Lassy you told me and Bruce about....

Phwoarr. What a total babe she was. If I thought I could see her again, I'd move to Bristol! (sigh)

Just wondered pal,did ya get to see ,,Another Place,,,

I did indeed Bri. Not the best of circumstances to see it - in a hurry, quite a few people about, tide not the best - but well worth the detour.

I would love, love, love to go... don't know if I could swing it. I will most definitely work on it!

I hope that 'lots' of the individual fliers from over there will find the resources. There is a tradition for single line fliers from the USA putting together a 'group' package to attend Berck as I recall!

Felix

With those being the dates, looks like that misses our spring break, so Too Much Fun would not be available. Sorry .

Mark

Very sorry to hear that. I did have a 'mental picture' of everyone from Portsmouth and Bristol getting together again. Wishful thinking but....

I have sent an outline note to Gerard and will relay his response in due course. I don't think that he could be persuaded to change the dates!

Felix

There's no reason we can't have two mega flies.

For those who can't make the French festival and can make the California festival, we can fly a grid at Kite Party.

I'd like to do both fests myself ;)

Besides having room to fly, what else needs to be provided?