Stacking of course

dean750

I don't seem to be able to find my old self made stack lines for our Rev 1's. Bummer since I had them perfectly dialed in. The second kite in the two kite stack never wobbled. It was just as solid as the first kite.

Ok, so since I can't remember, what is the general rule in length for the stacking lines? It almost seems like mine were just a little over half the width of the leading edge and about three quarters of an inch shorter on the two lower points.

Dean

I think thats how I made them the last time was using the center and one outter rod for the length.

Shorter on the bottom tunes all wobble outta the second kite. Back then I wasn't flying with as much brake as I do now, so maybe that'll make it different. But back then the shorter bottom lines wouldn't allow the second kite to even think of wobbling. Forced the top lines to always stay tensioned.

Dean

Thanks

• 11 months later...
for the 1.5 rev 2 or rev 1 kites i use 5 .... 5 foot lines with 2 inch pigtaile to attach the lines to .. the pigtails work for tuneing and takeing the wobble out of the stack
OK, I now officially feel dumb. I have been flying my 4 pack of 1.5s and never did hook the centers because I could not figure out how to keep that even with the links that I put through directly on the caps. Mind you, every time I help some one with a single line I make a pig tail for them and teach them the larks head. Some times you just can't see the forest for the trees!

I think Ant actualy uses pigtails to link all the lines, he threads the pigtails through the end caps etc, one for each for front and back kite, two for the inbetweenies.

Then instead of adjusting the length ot the stack lines he "tunes" the pigtails.

Saves having to remember which line go's where if you are in the habit of stripping the train down to pack it away.

Of course you could just use pigtails for the mid leading edge connection.

The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would apply well here, any pictures of the pigtail attachments? both where and how

I'll have a stack out at WSIKF, I'll take some pictures. John has promised to get video of it dragging me down the beach too!

My usual rule of thumb for stacking is half the length of the leading edge

Just curious, how does one take the wobble out of a stack? I built my first stack a couple weeks ago (just a 2-stack, vtd. 1.5 in front and std. in the back) and the rear kite mostly tracked just fine but every so often would start bouncing around like crazy! Tried shortening the bottoms a bit, etc. etc., nothing helped..............

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious, how does one take the wobble out of a stack? I built my first stack a couple weeks ago (just a 2-stack, vtd. 1.5 in front and std. in the back) and the rear kite mostly tracked just fine but every so often would start bouncing around like crazy! Tried shortening the bottoms a bit, etc. etc., nothing helped..............

I think all stacks 'hunt' a little if you hover too long but I think I've found the answer to that 'fly the back kite' problem .... :lol:

post-2056-1252265917_thumb.jpg

post-2056-1252265940_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would apply well here, any pictures of the pigtail attachments? both where and how

Slow reply Kiteking, if you have not found out by now, here are some pictures of the ones that I just made a few weeks ago. They do not have any extra adjustment knots yet but I think you will get the idea, extra knots just like "B" handles.

StackinglinkforRevs.jpg

StackinglinkforRevs2.jpg

They also make it a lot easier to take down the sack at the end of the day.

Slow reply Kiteking, if you have not found out by now, here are some pictures of the ones that I just made a few weeks ago. They do not have any extra adjustment knots yet but I think you will get the idea, extra knots just like "B" handles.

They also make it a lot easier to take down the sack at the end of the day.

The concept I used since the early 90s was double pigtails. One going forward and one going back the train lines could be easily removed and tied as a set and checked to see that they are staying the same length and adjusted if need be. It really knocks the hunting down , in some cases to zero.

I don't remember if I got this idea from someone or whether it was another of my REV ideas.

The concept I used since the early 90s was double pigtails. One going forward and one going back the train lines could be easily removed and tied as a set and checked to see that they are staying the same length and adjusted if need be. It really knocks the hunting down , in some cases to zero.

I don't remember if I got this idea from someone or whether it was another of my REV ideas.

John, are you using two separate pigtail lines for the forward and back or is it one line tied off with knots on each end?

John, are you using two separate pigtail lines for the forward and back or is it one line tied off with knots on each end?

Two separate! One going forward and one going backwards. I also usually leave the bridle on so I can quickly fly one alone, or train it.

There is a negative factor in doing this in that you will have REVs in your train that have sails that are stretched differently thus the train can wobble(hunt) more readily.

In the last four years I haven't flown trains at all. I left those REVS behind in Europe.