Making handle leaders

John146

Question

I got some 100# bridle line to make some leaders for my handles. For the upper handle leaders I cut 19" lengths, folded them in half (for the larks head end) and knotted one end for the last knot. I put 3 more knots about 1" apart. The final size is about 7 1/2" with 4 knots. Does that sound okay for regular handles?

Do the knots have to be in the EXACT same spot for the left and right leader? (They're just a smidge off.)

Should the lower set be about 4" finished and how many knots should I put in?

Thanks for all the advice.

12 answers to this question

Hi Bob, I too made my own leader's and I too made the knot's 1" apart, but since flying with more experianced Rev flyer's they pointed out the error of my way's and have retied them at 1/2" interval's, give finer adjustment and also mean's you can quickly compensate for any differences that may occur in your line length's until you get the chance to re tie them at a later date.

I always like to point people to this handy article when discussing your leaders...

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue43/r...s43/content.php

Me personally? I just recently redid my own leaders. I cut the top lines 24" (to yield 7-8" leaders), tied the knots a half inch apart, 7 knots on the top, 2 on the bottom. I'm very picky about having the knots on the sets match as perfectly as possible.

Right! That's the article I had read but forgot where the link was!

This article shows the leaders being the same length on top and bottom. I read someplace that the bottom leader could be shorter than the top. Is that right? Since that will change the line length, it seems like it will change the way it flies (more brake? less brake?). Should I make the top and bottoms the same length?

Hi,

The best thing I learned at the AKA Convention in Florida was a slide knot to replace the knotted leaders. Sam Ritter and Lee Sedgwick were giving the class. This way you don't have knots for the lines to catch on and it's easier to adjust while on the handle.

When you larks head your kite line onto the knot the pressure holds it on spot. Release the pressure and you slide the knot to adjust it as you need to.

Choose your line length. Say 12". Fold it in half so the lines look like a U. Take the right side of the U under and over the left side of the U. Under and over again, but on the 2nd "over" leave a small rabbit ear loop..so don't pull it tight. Start to go under again, but bring the line through the back side of the bottom of the loop. Then take it though the little rabbit ear loop you left on the 2nd over. Tug. The knot you form will slide unless pulled on. I've replaced most of my knots with it and will replace all of them at Long Beach. You might want to put knots on the end of the lines so it doesn't slide off.

Some people adjust the top, some the bottom. The bottom leads can have slides too, so you can experiment.

BB Penny ~who swears by it.

Hi Bob, I too made my own leader's and I too made the knot's 1" apart, but since flying with more experianced Rev flyer's they pointed out the error of my way's and have retied them at 1/2" interval's, give finer adjustment and also mean's you can quickly compensate for any differences that may occur in your line length's until you get the chance to re tie them at a later date.

I know you guys in the US tend to have shorter leaders on the breaks then do your tuning on the top lines, but here in the UK I was taught start with equal length leaders and to do my adjustments on the break lines.

I have five six knots 1” apart on the bottom leaders bear in mind just tying the knots shortens the leaders anyway. Then two knots ½” apart on the top, for finer adjustment if necessary.

I know you guys in the US tend to have shorter leaders on the breaks then do your tuning on the top lines, but here in the UK I was taught start with equal length leaders and to do my adjustments on the break lines.

I have five six knots 1” apart on the bottom leaders bear in mind just tying the knots shortens the leaders anyway. Then two knots ½” apart on the top, for finer adjustment if necessary.

More Knots here

http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/knots.html

and

http://www.animatedknots.com/

There is certainly more than one way of doing things. ;D If nothing else, I think Rev flying proves that.