Airplane safe travel cases

rcom714

Question

What do folks use for travel when it is necessary to check your kites under the plane?

I've looked into fishing rod cases but was wondering what the "experienced" Rev traveller uses when carrying on is not allowed.

23 answers to this question

Hey Quaa!

A lot travel with Golf hard cases, but we used a shotgun case (Yes, a gun case - about $27.00) from Kmart for USA travel. We did leave it accessible for inspection, and put kite stickers all over it. It WAS inspected in every location, but quickly OK'd.

Cath

Hey Quaa!

A lot travel with Golf hard cases, but we used a shotgun case (Yes, a gun case - about $27.00) from Kmart for USA travel. We did leave it accessible for inspection, and put kite stickers all over it. It WAS inspected in every location, but quickly OK'd.

Cath

Hey Cath!!!!!!

Travel within USA has been pretty easy and have never had a problem.

Travelling to Israel on El Al airlines and they have been, to say the least, somewhat unclear about what type of carry on stuff one can bring. Was just gonna bring one kite with spars on plane and pack the rest...lines, handles, spike, etc under the plane. Thoughts though were that what if they say "No Carbon Fiber Spars" on the aircraft.

Gotta a lot of comps on the stairway shirt. People loved it. :blue-cool:

Also gave Dennis your msg.

What do folks use for travel when it is necessary to check your kites under the plane?

I've looked into fishing rod cases but was wondering what the "experienced" Rev traveller uses when carrying on is not allowed.

I have been using the Rev Kite bag on serveral trips to and from the USA whitout any problems. Make sure you get your kite bag labled as Fragile so they handle it with some care.

/j

I drop the rev bag into a SKB golf club case, also inserting one putter. I advise the gate keepers that it contains "golf equipment" and usually I'm not charged an excess baggage weight fees. The case is easy to open and inspect, it's on wheels so I don't throw my delicate back out. Heck it's so tough I can sit on the darn thing waiting for transportation. I pack my shaving kit in there too, one less thing to hassle about at security check points.

Hey Cath!!!!!!

Travel within USA has been pretty easy and have never had a problem.

Travelling to Israel on El Al airlines and they have been, to say the least, somewhat unclear about what type of carry on stuff one can bring. Was just gonna bring one kite with spars on plane and pack the rest...lines, handles, spike, etc under the plane. Thoughts though were that what if they say "No Carbon Fiber Spars" on the aircraft.

Gotta a lot of comps on the stairway shirt. People loved it. :blue-cool:

Also gave Dennis your msg.

Thanks Messenger!! :blue_wink:

Just posted, then lost my connection!

Short version - try to carry on, but be prepared to slide it into you luggage. How? I could make you a 'travel' leading edge, Rev could do this, or get the new Rev II which is now made with that purpose in mind! To adapt a B series, I'd first want to ask Lolly for specs - don't want to messup the wonderful dynamics with a change in weight &/or flex!

When are you leaving?

SAFE travels! :blue-music:B)

Cath

Ive used a few diffrent ways.

Carpetman,get a piece of roll from him that carpets are rolled on.Tape one end and put your kites in and tape the other.Have a small roll of tape for return journey packed with your kites.

Drainpipe or plastic pipe,same method as above.Plumbers probably wont give it to ya,but very cost effective,strong and it floats[you never know]

Pack kite sails in suitcase,fold up with your shirts and shorts.Pack spars in thinner tube/plastic pipe.Tape as above.

I bought a kite bag thats sausage shaped,[KITE CONNECTION USA] thats just long enough for a blast to fit length wise,bought some plastic tubes[5 in total].You can get 2 rev 1.5s in each plastic tube or a rev one in the tube.Place kites in tubes,Tubes in bag,zip bag up and padlock.It has a zip pocket also for lines and handles.The zips are doiuble zip ended.So when you zip the zips up together,you can put a padlock through the eyes of the zippers.Cost was more,but its secure and easy to carry.

BRIAN...

BRIAN...

I have been using the Rev Kite bag on serveral trips to and from the USA whitout any problems. Make sure you get your kite bag labled as Fragile so they handle it with some care.

/j

In most of Europe marking 'handle with care' seems to mean open season to the bagage handlers with your luggage. I have often seen handlers at Euro airports deliberatly kicking and throwing 'hadle with care' bags around to see who can break it first! Tatty old bags that don't look special get the least attention (e.g. just loaded onto the plane)

The same goes for 'Priority' labels - in the UK especially, these are put to one side and loaded onto the bagage conveyor last :D :D

When i checked my kites in at the Airport.I did so at a seprate desk from my suitcases[usually].They scanned the bag[x ray machine]and asked the content[amazed look on faces].The bag then went through the screens and off.

Everytime ive arrived at the other end.The bag is within the first ten off the belt or the tube ive used.

Lucky me,perhaps.

The Pram[childs chair],suitcases,or anything else we end up waiting for.

I have sent kites to people all over the world,travelled well myself,always with kites.Bought one or two from all corners of the globe and so far,not a stick broken,no parcel lost,nothing.

BRIAN...you watch now

Still undecided about what to do but appreciate all the responses nonetheless.

As I'm leaving in less than a week I best get off my butt and figure something out.

Easiest seems to fold kite and just wrap spars in foam and put in a slim pvc tube cut at 31", place in suitcase and hope for the best.

Want to just carry the kite and spars on the plane with me as I've done in the past on most trips but flying to Israel on El Al airlines and they are pretty tight on what they'll allow on the plane. Obviously the size isn't an issue but more that I'm carrying five 31" spars.

Hmmmmm????

The same goes for 'Priority' labels - in the UK especially, these are put to one side and loaded onto the bagage conveyor last :D:D

Sorry - tangential thought - bordering on OT - but surely this is supports "last on, first off" handling?

FWIW: I agree with Big Bri's comment on using plastic (UPVC) drain pipes in a kite bag. Mine accommodates about four. This both provides a degree of rigidity to the bag and protection to each tube's content, having used it several times between UK and USA. Then pack either soft clothing or small inflatable kites at the ends to absorb some of the knocks and bumps.

any ideas are a great help to me as in the next year my dad,s florida house will be finished and is an hour from clearwater so i want to know how i can smuggle 20 revs in a small bag on a plane .. the bag i use now is an old beach chair bag but it holds 20 revs nicely.. will that work as a carry on???

I now just chuck my rev bag in the hold (got cought for ex baggage coming home from Portugal) lol

Hi I use a strong telescopic artist/plans drawing tube available from most good art shops, they have locking point's so can be extened to any length and have a locking cap as well, and a carrying strap, a size of 125mm diameter x 1.2m in length means I can get in 3 revs, line and a set of handle's .

hope this help's

Hi I use a strong telescopic artist/plans drawing tube available from most good art shops, they have locking point's so can be extened to any length and have a locking cap as well, and a carrying strap, a size of 125mm diameter x 1.2m in length means I can get in 3 revs, line and a set of handle's .

hope this help's

Hadn't thought about these as a solution. And, as it turns out there is a pretty decent art supply store not too far from me.

THX!

detination?

:big_blowup:

I think you had better take more care with your speeeling Brian or you may get a visit from the boys in the flack jackets. :)

What is it your insinerating Bob :kid_devlish: .

I must try harder or get a new keyboard.Having three fingers missing on both hands doesnt help,being partially sighted through years of masticating is a problem also :blushing::lol: .

BRIAN...