big bri

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. Git

12 Monkeys is a great movie, my honorable mention La Jetee is often cited as the inspiration for that movie.

Cool, will have to look it up!

You've got quite a few in your list I could have put in mine... Top 10's are almost impossible I find. A top 10 for each genre or sub genre I could cope with...

Not much of a movie buff but here goes

Little Big Man

Where's Papa

Longest Day

Wizzard of Oz

Saving Private Ryan

Hunt for Red October

Forest Gump

Rainman

The Graduate

Lord of the fly

The orginal BW The Thing. First scary movie i ever saw. When i was about 6. I am still scared

Hitchcock stuff

Star Wars Stuff (the first ones not thes prequils)

But absolutely Little Big Man was my favorite. It was historical. I fish the Big Horn river and have hung around that part of the country. Dustin Hoffman was great in that movie. Never did like George Custer.

LOL,Strange how that Movie had a similar affect on alot people of that age.I think it was that Dam Giga counter type Machine that bleeped faster as THE THING got closer.Way too much for a young Lads ticker[hart]to handle.

Then When they set it on fire,,,,OMG,,,I near ,hit myself and so did me Mum who was watching it with me.

John Carpenters version i like best.Kirt Russell Looks a bit like me also///// :lol::lol::lol: NOT

BRIAN...Its on the other side of that door....

LOL,Strange how that Movie had a similar affect on alot people of that age.I think it was that Dam Giga counter type Machine that bleeped faster as THE THING got closer.Way too much for a young Lads ticker[hart]to handle.

Then When they set it on fire,,,,OMG,,,I near ,hit myself and so did me Mum who was watching it with me.

John Carpenters version i like best.Kirt Russell Looks a bit like me also///// :lol::lol::lol: NOT

BRIAN...Its on the other side of that door....

Do'nt open the door!

cool hand luke

saving private ryan

gladiator

braveheart

dancing with wolves

the shinning

matrix

play misty for me

last samurai

the birds as well as most of hitchcock's movies and classic's

The car wash scene in Cool Hand Luke was the hottest scene in movies ever.

• 1 month later...

Oh fun!

In no order... and it's not really a top 10. I'm not insifghtful enough to be that accurate. Rather, this is a top 10 right now. I really only have a top 4, the rest are fluid.

1. Caddyshack

2. Alien

3. The Natural

4. Monty Python And The Holy Grail (Ni!)

5. The Iron Giant

6. Any of the Star Wars movies- mainly 4,5, and 3. And Blue Harvest is pretty freakin' funny....

7. Unforgiven

8. Silverado

9. Gladiator

10. That Thing You Do

• 1 month later...
OK... deep breath...

Crash (2004)

Pans Labyrinth

Shawshank Redemption

Blade Runner

Fight club

Little Mermaid (don't ask!)

Donnie Darko

The man who would be King

Life of Brian

Across the Universe

Crouching Tiger hidden dragon

Empire strikes back

Toys story 2 (because I'm in it according to my kids ... check out the toy store owner!)

A Knights Tale

Pleasantville

Ok more then 10 but once you start.....

Forgotten about this thread .... so am I allowed an update??

:) WATCHMEN :)

• 2 years later...

It could be one of many. I suspect you mean Boccherini La Musica Notturna Delle Strase de Madrid (you would need to check my spelling on that) but it could also be Motzart No 3 Violin concerto (its the 3rd movement in the film) or Bach Prelude from the Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 or even corelli Adagio from Concerto Grosso . Lucky Jack and the Doctor play together several times in the film, and some of the back ground music may be haunting you too. Suggest you try those on iTunes. Go for the boccherini first - in the film it is the one where Jack and the Doctor are in the captains cabin with the doctor plucking his cello and the captain playing his violin like a guitar (Is that the scene you are thinking of)

There are two CDs out of music mentioned in the Aubrey/Maturin books as being played by the two (or listened to).

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Evenings-Captain-Antonio-Locatelli/dp/B00000083U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300366836&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Evenings-Captains-Cabin-Aubrey-Maturin/dp/B0001HAHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300366881&sr=1-1

The music is played as if by two (talented) players, so it sounds a bit sparse to modern ears.

For my list:

1) M. Hulot's Holiday (Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot) (1953) Jaques Tati - Greatest movie, ever. Almost completely without dialogue. You know every one of these characters.

2)...

3)...

Nothing else even close, although I will give a nod to many of the Akiro Kurosawa movies like "The Seven Samurai", "Ran", "Throne of Blood", etc.

Love Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Traffic was fun too, but not as charming.

A few others I really like that are off the beaten path:

-Local Hero (my perennial best movie of all time)

-Monty Python's Meaning of Life (brutally funny)

-Philadelphia Story

-A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Woody Allen)

-Metropolitan (particularly if you grew up in Manhattan, as I did, in the late '70s through '80s, but funny for all)

-Shadowlands (Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis)

-The BBC Brideshead Revisited series - http://www.amazon.com/Brideshead-Revisited-25th-Anniversary-Collectors/dp/B000GYI3DG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1300388809&sr=1-1

and while we are on TV, be sure to get the complete "Bit of Fry and Laurie"

http://www.amazon.com/Bit-Fry-Laurie-Complete-Collection/dp/B000P0J0G0

and Eddie Izzard's live performances, particularly "Dress to Kill"

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Izzard-Dress-Kill/dp/B00003CWOU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1300388787&sr=1-1

some awesome Japanese films:

-Yojimbo

-Ran (kurosawa's King Lear - even if just for the visuals)

-Departures (recent: probably still in a theater somewhere)

Guest plod38

Mmmm Top Ten

I guess

1. Schindler's List

2. Blade Runner - brilliant film, and brilliant score by Vangelis

3. Shawshank Redemption

can't put these in any order

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Aliens

Blues Brothers

Highlander

Taxi - the french version

Leon

To be honest 10 is difficult, but my top twenty would also include

Green Mile

Blade - any of them

Dune

The Long riders - underrated film in my book, and with all those brothers playing brothers - David, keith and Robert Carradine playing the Cole, Jim, and Bob Younger

James and Stacey Keach playing Jesse, and Frank James, Dennis and Randy Quaid playing Ed and Clell Miller, Christoper and Nicholas Gues playing Charlie and Bob Ford

Terminator series

Das Boot - yes, in German, with subtitles

Die Hard

Shocker - Wes Craven classic

American Werewolf in London

Crossroads - no not the Britney one, but the one with Ralph Macchio - Watched the ending with Steve Vai playing the guitar in the duel countless times

The Lost Boys

Damn, that's 21 :lol::lol:

• 4 months later...

It took awhile to pare the list down to the following 17. I just can't sacrifice anymore!

In the order I watched the movies, because I really can't decide on the order I like them in:

The Italian Job - the original with Michael Caine. Began my love-affair with cars :blue-love:

You Only Live Twice - my father is a HUGE Bond fan!! Fond memories of being young, watching this one with dad.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - the Tim Burton version was more true to the book, but this is my favorite :kid_loved:

Albert Finney's Scrooge

The man with the Golden Gun

Raiders of the Lost Ark - my mind still bristles with day-dream ideas after watching this film.

Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back - began my real love for sci-fi movies, even though I saw Star Wars first (I was too young to appreciate it)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I can recite this entire movie, word-for-word :kid_loved: Started my love for British humor.

Aliens - my heart still pounds when I watch this movie!! Amazing tension!

The Good The Bad and The Ugly - helped me realize the good aren't always so good, the bad are always bad, and most people are right in the middle.

High Planes Drifter - greatest revenge movie ever.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again - Peter Sellers is a genius! This movie makes me laugh out loud to this day :kid_loved:

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

Clue

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - began my love-affair with the Ferrari. And Mia Sara :) I was 10!

The Princess Bride

The Game - the ending threw me for a loop! Like no other movie ever has!

:)

In no particular order, with the exception of the first 5

1. Labyrinth

2. Tron

3. the Dark Crystal

4. Ladyhawke

5. the Crow

6. Legend

8. Lawnmower Man

9. The Last Star Fighter

10. Edward Scissor-Hands

11. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

12. The Matrix

13. Star Wars V

14. Princess Bride

15. Avatar

16. Dune

18. Fifth Element

19. Dirty Dancing

20. the Last Samaria

Only because I can't narrow it down to just 10.