one for the Techheads

wufer

This is my screen 30 seconds after i klick on revkites(its the same for ALL sites)

30 seconds and Nothing.

To post this topic, i had to turn my computer off, and have a cup o coffee and turn on again

Its usualy after ive been on a while but its not overheating.

Ive cleaned and defraged, run virus, but still the same.

I dont think its to do with ram, as i just upgraded to 3gb ddr from 1gb, and it made no differance at all,

Bearing in mind, i dont have much idea about computers,,,any ideas?

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/5b50CHAK...Qp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Derek :(:(:(

This is my screen 30 seconds after i klick on revkites(its the same for ALL sites)

30 seconds and Nothing.

To post this topic, i had to turn my computer off, and have a cup o coffee and turn on again

I dont think its to do with ram, as i just upgraded to 3gb ddr from 1gb, and it made no differance at all,

AOL .... Hmmm (not very popular with me!).... can you try using Internet Explorer or Firefox without opening AOL? I expect its to do with AOL's spyware checking when you request a page either that or its a DNS problem (sorry not much help I guess) ....

Would be glad to logon to your machine remotely and have a look for you but probably easier to get someone a little closer to lend a hand!

Jonesey

Jonesey .

AOL, yes well, seems a lot of people dont like it, and lately i tend to agree; some days i cant connect to the internet without a lot of bother, other days i get disconnected and have all sorts of trouble.

About time i changed i think.

Thanks anyway.

big bri.

Well, like an idiot i phoned that number and the switchboard lady asked me who told me her number, and that a chimp had just got loose yesterday.

Well i told her i got the number from a bloke in Lancashire called big bri, and she said,

big bri/chimp, same thing innit :devil::P

Derek.

30 seconds and Nothing.

It does not look like anything is wrong with your hardware; video card, ram, cpu and etc.

It looks more like an AOL directly related problem.

I would agree that trying the browsers Firefox or Internet explorer would be a good idea. If AOL automatically starts, stop it.

Good Luck!

As soon as I looked at your first picture I screamed "AHHHH AOL!!!"

I was an AOL user for about 10 years, and now days, the AOL browser is a pile of junk. I would recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer. My mom still uses AOL. She knows that it sucks, but she continues to use it!!! I'm thinking that the problem is not your computer (if your at 3GB of RAM, you're doin pretty good), but it is probably either your AOL browser (most likely), or it could be your internet connection. If you are using satelite internet, verizon internet, or dial up, these problems occur more frequently than if you are using something like Comcast.

JNM.

Just tried IE and this is what i have, mmmmmm. No pics

2830228140101221756S600x600Q85.jpg

Derek

Give Firefox a shot. If the pictures appear with Firefox, then IE is blocking some images. Did you get some kind of warning message above the REV frame in IE? I think it is a light yellow bar going all the way across of about two line height. I think a red X is on one end.

Do you have any anti virus, firewall or other security protection software running? This would be the next thing to look at after the above.

Also try clearing the cache in IE. If the other image disappears it tells us more.

Also interesting to note, is that the small images are .jpg files while the larger one is animated .gif.

This tells me that .jpg files are blocked, but not .gif files.

Also, if your not getting pic on your page, try updating your browser. Can't believe no one has mentioned this. If you don't see pictures it's because your browser doesn't have the pluggin's for it. Alot of web sites use Flash. Don't have it, then you won't see some pics. Try clicking one of those red x's and see if it tells you what plug in you need. I would have to say your going to have to update IE so you can watch vids and view pics.

Dean B)

Well, installed firefox and can see all the piccys now.

Its sleep time here so ill have a play with firefof for longer tommorow and see what happens

Derek.

Have you checked you lines are the same length. Obvious I know, but easy to overlook :):)

As soon as I looked at your first picture I screamed "AHHHH AOL!!!"

I was an AOL user for about 10 years, and now days, the AOL browser is a pile of junk. I would recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer. My mom still uses AOL. She knows that it sucks, but she continues to use it!!! I'm thinking that the problem is not your computer (if your at 3GB of RAM, you're doin pretty good), but it is probably either your AOL browser (most likely), or it could be your internet connection. If you are using satelite internet, verizon internet, or dial up, these problems occur more frequently than if you are using something like Comcast.

Yeah, I tried a trial of AOL a number of years ago and threw it out the next day.

I have used Netscape and the derivavtives, variations and etc which later became Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird since Netscape version 1.0. I chose this because I worked multiple platforms Unix, VMS and Windows. It was the only thing that worked stable enough on all. I have never regretted it. Providers, stay away from any that do not work with Firefox(browser) and Thunderbird(emailer). That was my problem with AOL at the time. I have no idea about AOL today, nor do I really give a ####.

You should be able to download your AOL email as POP3 mail? (there will be a help guide somewhere on AOL)

Then get a POP3 mail client such as Thunderbird and use that to retrieve your mail (it will store it on your computer instead of online at AOL too!)

Hezz

One thing to check for is Spyware, this will kill your internet speed and bog your computer down tremendously. Not all spyware will show up in virus programs so it is a good idea to check for it from time to time.

One program that I have been using for some time now is Adaware. This is a free program for personal use, slight charge for commercial use.

You can download Adaware from www.lavasoft.com

Just look for the free download portion.

Spyware is programs that get loaded onto your computer from sources that you are not aware of. These programs are usually bundled in with other downloads and install without telling you. They usually track your internet browsing and send your browsing history (as well as pretty much any other info they want) back to their own site without you knowing about it. The problem is that once you load up your browser the spyware programs are hogging up all your bandwidth transferring their info first before you get to use the browser, causing it to hang or load veeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy ssssssllllloooooooowwwwwwww while it puts you on standby so it can do all its own activity without you seeing it.

There is also Malware which is very similar to Spyware except Malware is programs that will actually harm your computer or take over your system. Malware can actually overtake your browser, cloning it so that you think you are using your own browser but you are actually using their browser so they can track every thing you do, including enter in credit card info, passwords, banking info etc...

Adaware is a great program that will check for these types of spyware and Malware crap and let you delete it from your system. There are also other spyware programs and most of them are pretty good, Adaware is one of the best that I have used.

Hope this helps.

Just one thing.

To get or check for email, i still have to have AOL running in the background, right.?

Derek.

Why not sign up for a GMail account? With it you can access your e-mails from any computer, anywhere. It has very good SPAM filtering too and about 6 Gb of storage space.

Why not sign up for a GMail account? With it you can access your e-mails from any computer, anywhere. It has very good SPAM filtering too and about 6 Gb of storage space.

In addition browser email access, you can also pop gmail with email tools such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Works great!

Just one thing.

To get or check for email, i still have to have AOL running in the background, right.?

Derek.

I only use firefox, but I only have my aol e-mail. I just downloaded AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). Theis allowed me to IM the same people as I could on the AOL software, and it gave me alerts when I got a new e-mail. Also, if you just want to check your e-mail, you can always go to www.aol.com and check your mail there.

Watty. i have downloaded AIM

Two things.

You know when you are on AOL, and you get email, the lady said " you have email"

If you are on Firefox instead, do you still get "you have email"

Can you send email with Firefox and AIM

Cheers

Derek.

Watty. i have downloaded AIM

Two things.

You know when you are on AOL, and you get email, the lady said " you have email"

If you are on Firefox instead, do you still get "you have email"

Can you send email with Firefox and AIM

Cheers

Derek.

Derek....

Sounds like you probably need to get your head round the various elements your talking about ...

1. your internet connection/broadband .. this may well be part of your AOL package (although now part of Carphone wharehouse) or could be from another ISP (BT, Virgin Media etc etc).... this is your physical connection to the internet

2. You AOL account this gives you an email address and various other features aimed at providing a 'family safe' experience (quote!)

3. Web browsing ... once you are connected to the internet (as in 1. above) to view web pages you need a browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox or the one built into AOL's software

4. Email ... if you are using your AOL email address you can get this via the AOL software, webmail or a third party application like Thunderbird or Outlook.

Soooo.... to answer your question ...

Firefox has nothing to do with email... the "you've got mail" prompt is made by AOL's email software which you can of course have running at the same time you are using Firefox to access your favorite forum (whatever that may be?) ...

to answer the second question.. if you decide to ditch the AOL software then Thunderbird or Outlook will be responsible for 'announcing' new mail arriving! AIM is for instant messaging not email directly .. great for chatting to your mates in that strange language only kids understand.. ok m8?

Clear as mud?? if not you have my email address/contact details I think, so give me a ring and I will talk you through it...

Jonesey

Derek....

Sounds like you probably need to get your head round the various elements your talking about ...

1. your internet connection/broadband .. this may well be part of your AOL package (although now part of Carphone wharehouse) or could be from another ISP (BT, Virgin Media etc etc).... this is your physical connection to the internet

2. You AOL account this gives you an email address and various other features aimed at providing a 'family safe' experience (quote!)

3. Web browsing ... once you are connected to the internet (as in 1. above) to view web pages you need a browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox or the one built into AOL's software

4. Email ... if you are using your AOL email address you can get this via the AOL software, webmail or a third party application like Thunderbird or Outlook.

Soooo.... to answer your question ...

Firefox has nothing to do with email... the "you've got mail" prompt is made by AOL's email software which you can of course have running at the same time you are using Firefox to access your favorite forum (whatever that may be?) ...

to answer the second question.. if you decide to ditch the AOL software then Thunderbird or Outlook will be responsible for 'announcing' new mail arriving! AIM is for instant messaging not email directly .. great for chatting to your mates in that strange language only kids understand.. ok m8?

Clear as mud?? if not you have my email address/contact details I think, so give me a ring and I will talk you through it...

Jonesey

I'm afraid I need to correct you on part of this Jonesey. When you sign in to www.aol.com to check you e-mail, if you have mail a voice will come up and say "You've got mail", however you cannot change the voice like you can in the AOL software.

Wufer- on AIM, I believe tat when you get a new e-mail there will not be a voice, but I think there will be a pop up bubble thing that says "You have 1 new message" or something like that.

I'm afraid I need to correct you on part of this Jonesey. When you sign in to www.aol.com to check you e-mail, if you have mail a voice will come up and say "You've got mail", however you cannot change the voice like you can in the AOL software.

Sorry, you lost me there. This seems to be contradicting itself.

For emailers like Thunderbird, Outlook and etc, on windows, the announcement of an email is what ever you select under Control Panel >> Sounds >> Sounds for "New Mail Notification"(in Vista). Default is: "Windows Notify.wav". You can create and use any .wav file you want and use it for new email sounds.

Previous versions of Windows use the same tool, but I think the naming is different.

I am quite sure Mac OSX can handle this in a similar way. However I don't know it well enough to say how.