Loads of Brake

Baloo

Question

I am sure I was following a conversation about flying with loads of brake. Been looking for ages and can't find it now. I think I was reading it Yesterday, either that or I was dreaming.

Anyway to the point. Tried the first (or last) top knot and second bottom knot this evening. It took a bit to get it launched, didnt like to fly when the wind dropped, I was on a b'v with Equipped rods mind.

Initially it wanted to keep flicking, then I found I could flack the flick. Tried it a couple more times, not too neat and rather slow but for the first time I could flack my flicks so can actually calim to have done a few flick flacks.

Got more used to it after a while. The kite was much quieter and seemed to do what I wanted it to do more.

Still got to own my hover and want to learn Bicycle.

Going to keep trying with the brakes on and see if it gets easier. Seems to make sense anyway.

Thanks for the posts about it making me try.

You watch I will go strasight to the thread now won't I.

Cheers all.

• Answers 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

OK, dumb question, what do I use for replacement leader on my handles? The leaders the 1.5 SLE handles came with are about 4 inches long, not near enough to do what is suggested. I would like to put several knots for different adjustments, as well as adding more brake per this topic. I have some white nylon cord that is about the same diameter, but I do not know if this would be suitable.

Don't know with out being there to see it. But if you have a local kite shop, ask for 100 or 150# dacron or the likes. Could just ask for sleeving. More than likely if they wanna keep your business they might even help ya tie what ever you need.

If not, start with a loop about 10.5" long, tied of at the end. Make sure to use a lighter or something to melt the left over past the knot. :kid_brooding: I hope you know what I mean.

It'll take practice unless your a line tying prodigy so don't sinche down the other knots till you have them even. But put a knot about every half to 3/4". John would probably tell you 3/4 to 1" apart and only for the top. I personally if you don't have these already is to do this for only the top. But to make one half the length with the same increments in between knots for the bottom till you get used to it. When your used to it, you'll be on the closest knot to your handles on bottom and can change to a single knot on bottom or leave what you'll have for more adjustment depending on your mood and flying style.

Hey Walt, if you want to try it out pretty much any non stretch line of suitable strength that will hold a knot will do.

If you have something that is about the same thickness it will probably be OK for a trial run.

It is much better to use the bridle type line if you are going to stay with it mind.

Depends on how much of a rush you are in.

I was in a rush to try it when I first saw it on here, tried it with some nylon, then put an order in for some bridal.

Not to be a hard a$$ (beat ya to it John), :w00t: (I crack myself up sometimes) I had a thought and lost it.

Oh yea, Rev flying is about control Baloo :kid_brooding: Don't rush it. Savor the moment when you get the chance. I'm so just giving you crap. I MEAN STUFF :blushing: My bad. :kid_devlish:

Dean :matrix:

I get it, I get it for those certain eyes. ;)

Dean B)

I'm SUCH a dork sometimes. :kid_frustrated:

Well for the lack of any real typos you should have a pint on my behalf. I'm on my well pints...... how many pints make a ..... oh YEA, man I suprise myself with intelligence sometimes. :w00t: Who ever said I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed didn't have backspace. :kid_brooding::w00t: Oh come on, that was funny.

I'm on my 7th pint. Why can't it just be 1 or 2 or 10? Why does the measured amount have to come into play. Thinking in terms of someone waaaaaaaaaay over there ;) could cause a headache over here.

LMBO

Dean B)

Alright Sailor, I just got a reason to pull out my SLE's.

Now, bend over for your whipping. <grin>

No, you are right Choccy. Not much more to be said....Other than if you are going to try you better bring more than 6 members of iQuad to Portsmouth. You'll need them all ;)

I am sure I was following a conversation about flying with loads of brake. Been looking for ages and can't find it now. I think I was reading it Yesterday, either that or I was dreaming.

Anyway to the point. Tried the first (or last) top knot and second bottom knot this evening. It took a bit to get it launched, didnt like to fly when the wind dropped, I was on a b'v with Equipped rods mind.

Initially it wanted to keep flicking, then I found I could flack the flick. Tried it a couple more times, not too neat and rather slow but for the first time I could flack my flicks so can actually calim to have done a few flick flacks.

Got more used to it after a while. The kite was much quieter and seemed to do what I wanted it to do more.

Still got to own my hover and want to learn Bicycle.

Going to keep trying with the brakes on and see if it gets easier. Seems to make sense anyway.

Thanks for the posts about it making me try.

You watch I will go strasight to the thread now won't I.

Cheers all.

I am new to Rev flying but have been flying a lot this past week. When I was flying the wind was strong and gusty. I had trouble slowing the kite down. So to the forun for help I go. I have figured out I need more breakes in the conditions I was in. So my question is at what wind speeds would you use more breakes and how much break would you use? I guess I am looking for some kind of data breakdown.

RescueRev.

There is not a table of wind speeds v handle settings. It is a matter of choice. Try this as a rule and see if it works for you. At first set the brake up so the kite is really hard to take off - you need to give it full forwards and a good tug.

I took your advice this last weekend on the brakes. I had the top lines at one time 3 or 4 inches longer than the bottom lines. At least it worked for me. I flew for a while then extended the top lines another inch (knot). So your suggestion about take off did help.

Thanks

Brett

I am new to Rev flying but have been flying a lot this past week. When I was flying the wind was strong and gusty. I had trouble slowing the kite down. So to the forun for help I go. I have figured out I need more breakes in the conditions I was in. So my question is at what wind speeds would you use more breakes and how much break would you use? I guess I am looking for some kind of data breakdown.

RescueRev.

Really, your handle setting isn't dependant on wind as much as it is on the flyer's prefrences. As for me, I have a lot of break in heavy wind, light wind, and indoors. Just try different settings and see what you like.

Hello, long time listener first time caller...

ANy WHo, Break lines/Leaders:-

I Have very long lines top and bottom, couple of points

1 - tie the knots starting near the handles, that way the amount of line taken up by the knot wont effect the next knot (i does make sense honest)

2 - I ties the first knot then measure 1cm, mark the line with a felt tip, and tie the next knot so it just touches the mark, repeat on the left, continue.

3. If you go for long leaders, so make the lines a lot longer than you think you will need, the knots take up a lot of the line !

4 - having adjustable bottom lines to enables you to make field adjustments for line creep (stretch)

hope that helps.

OK, I've got a question. This thread really interested me (at least the first page or so) :confused!:

I've taken all my handles and changed the leaders to match my B-Series handles -- several knots on the top, and two on the bottom, all with the same spacing as on my B-Series handles. That's so my simple mind won't be confused when I change handles along with changing kite types. I've been flying like a newbe -- middle knot on the top and outside on the bottom. But this thread has me interested. So... Do I do the same thing with more brake with all my kites, or just the B-Series. I have Supersonic, Sonic Vented, Blast, Rev 1, etc. Should I go with more brake with all of them?

I know I tried more brake once before with pretty poor results -- had trouble getting off the ground. Should I use the "pull in the top line briefly" trick? Any other tricks?

I'm heading to the beach in a few days so will get a chance to try things out. Advice welcomed!!! :blink:

Thanks, Doug

With the Rev 1.5 I can fly no problems (actually more enjoyable) with the top leader at almost 9 inches with the bottom leader being stock with the one knot. (RescueRev's 1.5 that is) My Rev 1 does not like to fly that way. AT ALL. Personel prefrence but it don't like to fly. So MY Rev 1 leaders are about 6 inches long on top and equal top and bottom. With the Rev 1 my leaders top and bottom are equal but the bottom has one extra knot closest to the handles. One extra knot. Most of the time I'm at the very end (away from the handles) on top and second from the last (closest to the handles) on bottom. Lighter wind I move out on the bottom and in on top by one knot at a time until I get where I wanna be. Takes experimentation. You'll get it, just don't be scared about tweakin' on your kite till you find the way it fly's the way you wanna fly it. (without actually tweakin' hopefully. (white dope)) BTW, my knots are about .5 to .75 inches apart. I gotta redo my leaders. One is about .5 away from the bottom of the handles and the other is about .75 inches away. My last knot by the handles is no good. But I haven't had to go that far in, in a while so I'm lucky.

Dean

Another thought is that you don't need a ton of brake in lighter winds. Your looking for lift in light wind which is why my leaders (on the Rev 1 are equal) and that gives me more control. The 1.5 and the 1 fly a bit different with the 1 being better in the lighter winds. My Rev 1 with my settings and 4 wrap rods seems to fly better in 2 to 5 mph winds than the 1.5 with 2 wrap professional only rods. But at that point your flying like you would indoors.

Another thing to consider is that you have the 13.5 inch B-Series handles. Don't switch. Use the same handles and just learn what knot needs to be where givin the wind and your flying style.