The humble ground stake

We all like to show our individuality - just look at the vast range of phones that are sold even though they are, at the end of the day, just phones. When it comes to kiting many of us are lucky enough to have the funds to buy a custom or masterpiece. Some of us make our own. But for those paupers who don't happen to be able to sew there is only one option available to display our kiting personality - our ground stakes. Now I have a golf ball (obviously) and a pool ball, which merely demonstates that I have little imagination. Stoneinshoebob makes a rather natty line in rubber duck stakes.

But what would you like to see mounted on the end of a metal rod (and no you may not say Gordon Brown)? Maybe you already have your dream ground stake, in which case post a photo. For me it would be an aircraft size bottle of wine.....

I have,FIFTY FOUR,10inch stainless steel 8mm dia[no rust].Lumimus Green and Orange stakes.Bought two full sets of snooker balls off evil bay.From a guy up north,who used to have a club.Bought the stainless,drilled the holes,painted um,resin in hole,push in stainless,job done.

Pudders made me a couple of crackers,a skull on the end of 12inch mild steel[rusts though]and a wooden ball with big bri in gold letters.Varnished up nice as ya like.

BRIAN...Loada balls if ya ask me

For me it's my 24" long, 5" diameter corkscrew. With that you can secure down, well, just about anything - even Sailors giant botle of wine. Of course not that practical for flying Rev's though, but the bit I really love it the way the other so called members of the public run in all directions when they see it :devil:

edit - Choc just reminded me that it also makes a great seat for Jonesey's kids!!!! (think that one through....)

For me it's my 24" long, 5" diameter corkscrew. With that you can secure down, well, just about anything - even Sailors giant botle of wine. Of course not that practical for flying Rev's though, but the bit I really love it the way the other so called members of the public run in all directions when they see it :devil:

edit - Choc just reminded me that it also makes a great seat for Jonesey's kids!!!! (think that one through....)

I have been playing with a broken race rod with a view to doing a carbon one..... work in progress..... did see on another forum that people wee using car gear knobs ... sounds like lot of options down that avenue...

Am going to order a set of Force-3 special edition ground stakes when they have their merchandise website up and running. ;)

I made some pirate stakes with a skull head as the handles and real nice sleeves ,i gave one to the Rougham auction and it sold for over 12.00 ...wow for a peg :) just look on the boot fairs for cheap resin object that will make a nice peg ;)

I just use some small "V" section tent stakes from Millets, with some ribbons of ripstop tied in for identification and wind indication. They are light/cheap enough to keep 3-4 in the bag

Ant

Work better in sand than the round bar Ant.Always handy to have on the wet sand.

BRIAN...

I've been using these Easton Aluminum tent stakes for, geez, probably 15+ years now. They last roughly forever, are extremely light weight, and are perfect for stuffing in a pocket after launching a kite. On the other hand, they're pretty worthless for tying down one of my Peter Lynn maxis.

I just have a humble golf ball stake that I use regularly. I am scared to use my IQUAD stake because I found if you leave them at the park they disappear before you get back there to retrieve them.

That said, I will be working on one that will be moderately unique in the near future if I can get the parts I need.

-Alden

Generally, I do not use a stake for the reason that I do not want someone tripping on the lines that are usually hard to see for the kite illiterates.

If someone trips on the lines, they could cut themselves or even damage my/your kite.

I always land for parking, leading edge down, it much safer. There is less chance of the REV self starting.

If the grass is at least 3cm tall I can usually start my REV without any problem. For the sand, I try to get the leading edge catching some sand(dig in) then it is easy to start. For hard packed sand, I will consider getting a stake out of my kite bag. The same for short grass.

My stakes? I have one that Ray Bethel gave me few years ago, but it stays home. I keep one or two tent stakes in my kite bag.

The trouble is (especially at festivals) children are very interested in the golf ball stakes and more so the duck Quackers.

The brighter the colour the more they are attracted to it (nightmare when lines/handles are being set up).

So if I were to have a massive diamond/swarovski crystal as my 'designer' piece, then that would be even more of a magpie's delight :lol: (not so humble).

Similarly a teddy bear; not sure I'd like the idea of the metal bit going inside them!

How about a dragon ground stake ? too spiky.

Guess I'll have to put up the boring golf ball one.

I now carry 2 of them on my belt. (Had to buy a belt especially to carry them!).

I like Sailor's pool ball but that is set ontop of the most massive spike (large diameter)!

Maybe I should go for a dice, with lucky 6 on top.

How about a Rubik Cube or similar puzzles like Mefferts Megaminx, Tetramix or Skewb. :kid_content:

• Like 1