Huge props to Ben at Revolution

darinf

Since the San Diego Kite Club meeting was today, I decided to take my brand new B series Rev out for it's maiden voyage in decent wind at their meeting site in Mission Bay. Although I have had it out flying a couple times, today was the first time I had any kind of wind to really get the feel for flying a Rev.

Everything is going great and I am getting the hang of it, then all of a sudden my Rev lands funny with slack on the lines and the wind somehow pulls half the kite back and snaps the leading edge spar! It was the middle spar of my 3-wrap rods that just snapped.

Ron, form the san Diego Kite Club comes running over after seeing my Rev flailing in the wind. With his help, he pulled the broken spar out and then says, "Hang on, let's see if we can do something about this." and runs off back to their gear bags.

In the meantime I am a little perplexed as to what he might be doing. I am thinking that the wind is probably too strong to put my 2 wrap frame in and that I am done for the day. I am also figuring I have to go to the kite store to replace the rod.

A few minutes later, Ron comes running back with a brand new rod! He installs it for me and gets me back up and flying.

It ends up Ben, from Revolution was there too and Ron was kind enough to ask him if he could help out a newbie flyer. He said sure and told Ron he could pull a replacement rod from his bag.

I couldn't believe it! I was SO grateful.

I mean, these guys don't know me at all. They have never met me before and here they are helping me out AND giving me a replacement rod. I tried to offer to pay Ben for the rod , but he said no. And then they invite me and my 8 year old daughter for pizza and sodas. :clap;

I just wanted to publicly thank both Ron and Ben for all their help.

Then as my daughter was packing up her kite, Ben came over and gave her a souvenir flag from the Japanese Wordl Kite Festival. She was SO happy!

Thanks again and I owe you guys big time. You weren't kidding about kite flyers being good people.

-Darin Fong

ben and lolly are the best hands down.. i have spoken with lolly for years and never met her in person.. however i feel like i can talk to here like a sister.. as for ben well he is the best ..words can not explain what kind of person he is to everybody in the rev family includeing my self .. kudos ben keep doing the great job of being rev,s big brother to us all

Since the San Diego Kite Club meeting was today,

snip ...

Sorry I missed you, I was there! I did notice Big Ben giving a young girl a kite or something just before he left.

I was running around wearing an older REV sweat shirt and shorts with a Padres ball cap.

Most of the day I was either talking with people, taking photos or flying a vented red/white/blue REV 1.5.

I am sure you recognize all of these REVs from today.

post-41-1213503180_thumb.jpg post-41-1213503197_thumb.jpg post-41-1213503222_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Yes, I saw all those amazing Revs!

You know I'm kind of an introvert and I was so busy getting my daughter's kite going and mine that I didn't even introduce myself to everyone.

I'll be sure to do that next time around.

That was my daughter that Ben gave the souvenir to.

My daughter had the best time ever. Now all she asks me is when we can go kite flying again. And then she started asking if there are any kite festivals that are local enough for me to take her. She's definitely hooked. So how old should she be before I can get her a Rev? :kid_cheerful:

-Darin

Hi John,

Yes, I saw all those amazing Revs!

You know I'm kind of an introvert and I was so busy getting my daughter's kite going and mine that I didn't even introduce myself to everyone.

I'll be sure to do that next time around.

That was my daughter that Ben gave the souvenir to.

My daughter had the best time ever. Now all she asks me is when we can go kite flying again. And then she started asking if there are any kite festivals that are local enough for me to take her. She's definitely hooked. So how old should she be before I can get her a Rev? :kid_cheerful:

-Darin

I'm not sure when I'll make it there next time. I have heard that the next SDKC meeting will be at Mariners Point because other things are taking place at Mission Bay that day.

As for your daughter, she is probably old enough to understand how to fly a REV. The only concern would be her wrists. Are they strong enough?

The winds yesterday were quite strong for San Diego thus I think that would not have been a good day for her to learn. Go for a day with milder winds at Mission Bay Park and then go up on the little hill away from the trees where the wind is more constant. Down in the flat part the ground wind is usually very low to zero for the first meter up.