The New Kite Curse?

LS Kite Stakes

Question

My primary hobby is astronomy. In the astronomy community, there is a accepted supposition that buying new "astrogear" (telescopes and associated gear) will cause cloudy weather, in proportion to the cost of the equipment, and make using the new stuff all but impossible for a while. This is often discussed at Cloudy Nights Astronomy Forum. My Mom bought me a new single line kite for my birthday, and it arrived today. We are also having very stormy conditions outside, rain, wind, rain, and more rain. I may have a opportunity to put it up this Sunday, (today is Friday) if forecasts are correct. Now this is a $30 kite, a New Tech Ascension. What should I expect when my $240 Rev 1.5 SLE arrives? No fly weather for two weeks or more???? :confused!:

17 answers to this question

Murphy's New Kite Laws:

• If you build or buy a light wind kite, the winds will howl.

• If you build or buy a high wind kite, the winds will whisper.

• For any other type of kite, it will rain.

I got lucky with my most recent kite though- a B-Series Mid-Vent.

I've had 4 sessions since I got it with steady winds in the 10-12 knot range, one day in the high teens to low twenties and today I got a chance to try it in low winds of about 3-5 knots and the Race Rods.

...looks like I got that one already.......

Oh you guys actually fly these things?? I thought the idea was to just buy one a week until you have a set and then buy them all again in the other colours ..... Damn I knew I had something wrong when I couldn't find a big enough book to stick them in!

Surely if you took them outside ignorant youths would run over them on their bikes an break your favourite race rods (sorry ... I'm still sulking!)

The beauty of living this side of the pond is weather wise 'managing our expectations' doesn't require much effort .... it rains we wear coats, it snows we wear thicker coats, it blows we hang on hard, it stops we walk backwards and if that strange bright light in the sky puts in an appearance we stand and stare at it for a while in awe then we put on our socks, sandals and slightly over sized shorts and slowly turn pink....

Either way you just have to buy enough kites and rods so you can fly in whatever's out there so ... oh yes and were all poor now ;)

. What should I expect when my $240 Rev 1.5 SLE arrives? No fly weather for two weeks or more???? :confused!:

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

With your rev you can expect a lot more fun,You can expect to be saving up for all revs in all wind / weather conditions

And i feel you will spend a lot of time on here reading and asking questions ;)

their really isnt such a thing as bad weather with rev kites.. i have flown mine i rain snow heat cold pretty much everything but a thunderstorm or a nor easter.. wait a minute.. rev vented shockwave in 40+ winds!!!!nor easter here i come ha ha ha

My primary hobby is astronomy. In the astronomy community, there is a accepted supposition that buying new "astrogear" (telescopes and associated gear) will cause cloudy weather, in proportion to the cost of the equipment, and make using the new stuff all but impossible for a while. This is often discussed at Cloudy Nights Astronomy Forum. My Mom bought me a new single line kite for my birthday, and it arrived today. We are also having very stormy conditions outside, rain, wind, rain, and more rain. I may have a opportunity to put it up this Sunday, (today is Friday) if forecasts are correct. Now this is a $30 kite, a New Tech Ascension. What should I expect when my $240 Rev 1.5 SLE arrives? No fly weather for two weeks or more???? :confused!:

Oh And Happy Birthday RS67Man :sign_kitelife:

I feel your pain! As another amateur astronomer (member of Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers), I expected weather issues when my new kite arrived. My 1.5 SLE came today as we started a record-breaking heat spell, with hot humid conditions too oppressive for kite flying. Maybe I can use the delay to study the instructions and video. I also need to finish editing a video I shot at the Wildwoods event and get it up on Youtube. I also avoid setting up my telescope in this weather, as I don't like swetting on my optics.

Clear skies and good breezes,

Wayne Reed

My astrophotos are posted on my website at: http://mysite.verizon.net/wayne1026/main/

I feel your pain! As another amateur astronomer (member of Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers), I expected weather issues when my new kite arrived. My 1.5 SLE came today as we started a record-breaking heat spell, with hot humid conditions too oppressive for kite flying. Maybe I can use the delay to study the instructions and video. I also need to finish editing a video I shot at the Wildwoods event and get it up on Youtube. I also avoid setting up my telescope in this weather, as I don't like swetting on my optics

Right on! Another astronomer who needed something to do in the daytime. The main reason for kites for me was so I had something to do at star parties during the day. I had gone to a star party in Goldendale WA last month, and packed the old skynasaur, I was glad I did! The Rev is going to make my star party afternoons real fun, and give me something to do on other weekends as well! :kid_devlish:

Oh you guys actually fly these things?? I thought the idea was to just buy one a week until you have a set and then buy them all again in the other colours ..... Damn I knew I had something wrong when I couldn't find a big enough book to stick them in!

Surely if you took them outside ignorant youths would run over them on their bikes an break your favourite race rods (sorry ... I'm still sulking!)

The beauty of living this side of the pond is weather wise 'managing our expectations' doesn't require much effort .... it rains we wear coats, it snows we wear thicker coats, it blows we hang on hard, it stops we walk backwards and if that strange bright light in the sky puts in an appearance we stand and stare at it for a while in awe then we put on our socks, sandals and slightly over sized shorts and slowly turn pink....

Either way you just have to buy enough kites and rods so you can fly in whatever's out there so ... oh yes and were all poor now ;)

Poorer in one way, richer in many others :kid_content: .

We (Choc and I) have now finally sorted out low wind, high wind, wrong wind, light rain, too hot,too cold problem: We've almost (just need one more) got a set that covers any weather from zero wind up to hurricane. Once you've got the bug, you can't ever stop, and that means finding a way to fly in any weather :D

Murphy's New Kite Laws:

• If you build or buy a light wind kite, the winds will howl.

• If you build or buy a high wind kite, the winds will whisper.

• For any other type of kite, it will rain.

Sooooo True! ...Sigh. Between the crappy weather, zero wind, and fourth of July picnics, I have not had a decent opportunity to fly my new baby yet. :(

I used to get some weird looks because I was prepared for everything. I was crazy because I had a rain suit in my bag and living here in Oregon used it on a regular basis.

Looking at it from a passer by perspective, a person sitting on a chair in the middle of a field in a rain suit in a storm flying for hours and hours would look a little odd.

Dean :crazy:

my club-mates frequently insist I'm auditioning for an advertisement in the LL Bean Catalog! I have several Rain-suits, ponchos hats & shoes for bad weather riding in the vehicle with me.

We advise new members to NOT buy a kite for a whole year, instead use ours until you learn more. On the other hand a solid pair of gortex boots and a well fitting rain-suit is an immediate and essential purchase!