Need help with Ladder.

stryker2

Yes Mike, pivoting on a wingtip.

I have just placed another order for vented 1.5 this time, together with the advanced training DVD.

Unfortunately I fly on my own and have no help, so have to figure out by myself with the help from the REV forum and the training videos, both which have been very helpful to date.

• 5 months later...
Yes Mike, pivoting on a wingtip.

I have just placed another order for vented 1.5 this time, together with the advanced training DVD.

Unfortunately I fly on my own and have no help, so have to figure out by myself with the help from the REV forum and the training videos, both which have been very helpful to date.

When you move the ladder up, just walk a small step forward when the kite's leading edge is going upwards, and when you are doing ladder down, just do the same step, but walk (step) backward's.

When you move the ladder up, just walk a small step forward when the kite's leading edge is going upwards, and when you are doing ladder down, just do the same step, but walk (step) backward's.

Of course you could always try stepping backwards on the way up and forwards on the way down!

On a more serious note, there are a great many factors that will influence this move. The wind strength, the direction of flight, the speed you are trying to fly and if you are flying towards the leading edge or reversing the kite.

If you give us a description of what you see when you fly the move we may be able to target the advice a little more precisely but in the meantime here are a few tips that might help.

Try and "drive" the outer wing tip - so if you are facing right (in centre window) and are rotating around the top wing tip, take one step back and at the same time firmly pull your right arm back (whilst tilting your right thumb back). As the kite passes the horizontal position you can start to push your left arm forward, then your right until your are standing comfortably. For the precise finish, try and stop your kite asertively, just before your kite reaches the verticle position. Another little tip is to focus your attention on the tip you are rotating around.

For downwards step you should step into the move and again power the outside wing tip.

What I have noticed from teaching many people is that everyone is a little different. Some people get overloaded trying to watch their feet and move their arms at the same time. So, if the above does not work for you no worries, John may well explain the same in a different way. The secret is to be open to the various techniques then focus on the one that works best for you. I hope this helps :)

ps. I find this move easier in medium to strong winds.

Simply, for a tip pivot up, facing sideways... Hold the uppermost wing (pivot point) in a hover, and fly (drive) the lower wing around to the top.

Key items... Stopping accurately and not losing altitude... Try doing it slowly.

For the altitude, you'll gently pull back on the lower wing, just as it's becoming the top after you pivot, same principle as 1/2 a bicycle rotation.

Hope that's clear... I'm home after 14 hours of transit from London yesterday, quite tired. ;)

As John has mentioned, keeping the kite still and holding as you move up the ladder....another way which i have worked on is...not stopping as you go through the ladder, adds another dimension and skill level (getting the ladder straight) to the flier also the reverse ladder would be next on the list..........I'd like to see Mr Hoath having a go at this next weekend in Berck........i will just have to teach him..... ;) if he can't do it. :lol:

• 1 year later...
On a more serious note, there are a great many factors that will influence this move. The wind strength, the direction of flight, the speed you are trying to fly and if you are flying towards the leading edge or reversing the kite.

The other thing that wibbles me out is running out of room whilst flying up hill during the downward ladder moves. :blue-confused:

(I don't like it when the wind direction forces me to fly up hill at the best of times).

I shall try walking forward to help with the gravity issues ;)

I've always found that odd fields or environments have always taught me the most about Rev flying. ;)

It's taught me to be even gentler (if that is possible) ;)

It's gonna be a challenge for me to do the snap and aggressive style!

• 4 weeks later...

I had tried walking forwards when doing the downwards move but it didn't help. :(

The kite just kept falling out of the sky after the turn.....

(I've been puzzled for a few weeks on this now and I have been trying to get it sorted without much joy/help).

Last Sunday things came to a head when in team situation at Ostend.

I stuffed it for all when the Benefits move was ruined by my kite falling out of the sky after my tip pivot down and anticlockwise move.....

I just knew I'd need to do this move, hence my desire to get this problem fixed.

Since then I've cracked the issue (on my OWN). :)

I was flying up hill, walking foward whilst doing the ladder tip pivot down (plus the extra bit I was not doing before). :)

I was having particular difficulty when turning anticlockwise. (Clockwise was always OK).

Being right handed, my right hand turns downwards were fine.

It finally occured to me that my left hand/arm was not being forceful enough with the equivalent left turns down.

*Must pull left arm back more*

*phew*

All I need to do is keep the pull up with any anticlockwise downward moves to stop the kite falling.

It now keeps the altitude in the hover after each tip pivot down :kid_content:

I just wish I had remembered sooner how to keep the altitude, it would have saved alot of embaressment

and I would have got to see up close how Benefits really works. :blush:

I was enjoying that.

Now I'll go away and work on my left arm muscles/tone/strength and most importantly memory.

It's the same for my turns. Right hand is obviously stronger than my lazy left paw :lol:

I will stop avoiding turning left and/or down and keep working at that more.