Rods on the front or back side?

alnegri

Question

Hi.

I owne 3 Rev. All of them have the rods on the front side (the pilot side).

I went to a festival and a master told me the rods must be on the backside.

Is it true????

thanks.

alberto

Yes its true ..... Rods on the back ALWAYS! I know from bitter experience having flown with rods on the front for the first few weeks.....

Change to the back and you will be amazed how much more control you have!

I know from bitter experience having flown with rods on the front for the first few weeks.....

Change to the back and you will be amazed how much more control you have!

Ditto... Heck.. I read in this forum somewhere that even J.Barresi flew with them on the wrong side in the beging. Put them where they awt to be and you'll see a change as drastic as Night and Day especially if there is anything over 10mph for wind!!!! :kid_devlish:

• Like 1

I quite nearly made the mistake of trying to fly the kite with the rods in the front, and was saved when I actually sat down and -- gasp -- read the instruction manual. There was something highlighted in there saying that the vertical spars go on the back of the kite, and I must say, the thing was hard enough to handle during my first flight, so I'm glad I didn't make it any more difficult than it needed to be by messing up the assembly.

It seems counterintuitive to put the rods on the back of the kite like that, especially when you see the sail all stretched out over the rods when it's full of wind. But I guess that's the idea -- make the ends of the wing straighter probably helps stabilize the kite in some arcane manner.

A few islandQuadders tried out the iHog P-Series Quad on Sunday at the Parksville Kite Festival.

I couldn't hold it steady enough one-handed to get any good pics, but Cathy took quite a few. It was a lot of fun, but it doesn't even fly as well as a Rev with the spars on the wrong side. ;)

A few islandQuadders tried out the iHog P-Series Quad on Sunday at the Parksville Kite Festival.

I couldn't hold it steady enough one-handed to get any good pics, but Cathy took quite a few. It was a lot of fun, but it doesn't even fly as well as a Rev with the spars on the wrong side. ;)

Here's one for you Steve.

He's after the french fries that guy is eating.

Here is a photo of Dana.

He said tie lines on my hands and feet and fly me like a quad kite.

What a sight that would be.

Would top the Prism roolup bag quad.

Riot.

post-2088-1216705961_thumb.jpg

post-2088-1216706120_thumb.jpg

Here is a giggle for you all... My 2nd hand t300 rev 1 arrived 4 days ago and on the instruction on the old owner I loaded vert spars upwind.

I've logged 8 hours so far and have been so impressed with what I've been able to do that I'm now trying to fathom what I will be able to do !

As a side note- I got my duel line delta out today and kept trying to curl back my pinky fingers to brake: )

This is my first post, I have only just signed up because I have just bought my first Rev (B Series).

I wish I had read this topic before trying out the first time, yep I stuck the rods on the front, did fly like a pig, straight up and

over my head and down it came. I tried for 2 hours, I amused the onlookers, they must have thought I was a right dick.

I even watched all the Rev videos by John B and still didn't take it in. Oh well, I have been out again and got it up in the air,

just have to practice and practice I suppose.

I'm not giving up

• Like 1

Hi pond44 welcome to the Forum.

Great to have more Aussies too :)

Dont worry mate, very common mistake.

The Important thing is you are on the right track now.

Let us know how you get on.

I am still a beginner myself.

I have been doing a Blog on here as I learn:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/blog/17-learning-quad-west-australian/

Take a look if you are interested.

WA

• Like 2

i used to fly in between two building (it will "focus" the wind better <LOL!>, right?) with a "Backtracker".

I didn't know you needed even flying lines or that you could adjust them for brake either. I'd unwind untwist unwrap and moan for an hour, then fly for a minute! 2 years worth of this crap, then found a kite club

everything changed, building, fiddling, buying, modifications, sharing & travel. It's worth the hassle

The information on-line plus current equipment that's available is all so much better than when I started!

I've seen people leap past me in skill with flailing tricks and last year they didn't know which end of the handles to hold upright!

It's all still so much fun my face hurts from smiling all day, I get little white lines in my facial tan from the grins.

Welcome and please share as you progress.

-plm

• Like 1

For yur next "trick" - rods on the front side, and bridle on the back side! (It's possible.) Looks right unless you notice that the bridle seems to have unnecessary twists, and the logo says something like "noituloveR".

So two rules:

1. You can read the trade name of the kite facing you (as you fly.)

2. You cannot see the vertical spars because they are BEHIND the kite.

I've always been in sync with #2, but #1 snuck up and smacked my reality.

• Like 3

I have just got a rev kite i were haveing so many probs with it.to start with there is no bridles just washers i put the bars on the front and all my rev would do is go up and flip farwads. so iput the bars on the back side and now im rocking the only prob im having now is i can stop but not go backwards or revers hover. and im sorry about my spelling lol

Welcome to the forum reving sonic. It seems like you need more brake in the line set-up, longer top lines relative to bottom lines. Assuming all four lines are the same length, use pigtails (short bridle lines with about six knots every 1/2" and larks headed to the top of the handles) to lengthen the top lines and putting more brake into the set-up. Larkshead the top lines further out on the pigtails until you reach a comfortable setting for your wrist to make forward, hover, and reverse inputs.

PS: Forgot you said there's no bridle, until reading below. Adjusting brake won't help until you get one.

Hmm, more variations to try. And I will, why not? I think it will be interesting to put one vertical on the front & one on the back & see if I can fly it. My first Rev was partially disassembled when I got it but somehow I put it together correctly. Good karma, right?

I like to put my upright spars where the outer horizontals were, and put those on the back side of the kite upside-down. This configuration always gives me the best control possible. Oh, and don't forget to reverse the polarity of the middle horizontal.

Good luck and keep smiling!

• Like 2