rev handle clips

antman

the last few times i went flying i always had a problem with the triangle clips snagging up on my lines .. this happened alot at the rev clinic .. well i took them off and found the handles to be much better .. also i noticed a weight loss as well.. its eazy to do .. check out the photos .. the handles work great.. im sure others fliers have done this already but if so its a great idea..

post-87-1207413137_thumb.jpgpost-87-1207413153_thumb.jpg

i have leaders for these i just didnt put them on yet

The holes in the handles for the clips usually aren't polished and can have sharp burrs that will abrade the leaders.

You could insert some vinyl tubing or a cut off vinyl end cap of the right size to protect the leaders.

On my Ti handles I used stainless steel TIG wire to make a clip and then ran the leaders through a hole on the end caps:

post-1987-1207416523_thumb.jpg post-1987-1207416490_thumb.jpg

I did this some time ago only no clip at the end of the lead just a longer leads and knots.

Sence the picture I got new end caps from Rev which didn't have the 2 holes on the side. I used a hot nail to make the hole in the end so it would be smooth.

When I removed my clips I inserted a plastic Rawlplug in each end of the handles. Then a round head screw into the Rawlplugs. Make sure you use screws not threaded right to the head. Leave 2 or 3mm of clearance between Rawlplug and screwhead. Feed the cords through the end caps, lark headed the cord to the raised screws and ightened the screws as necesssary and replace the end caps.

I did mine over 2 years ago and have been using them ever since without problems, the lip at the top of the Rawlplugs protects the cord from any sharp edges on the ends of the tube and once you tighten the screws any movement is negligible and without movement there is no wear.

Just in case "Rawlplug" doesn't translate across the Atlantic click here.

I hope I am not opening a can of worms, but what is wrong with the arrangement the handles come with?

For many, nothing, but some people (and I include myself in this) have problems, with the triangular clips either sticking or catching and pulling the other lines. If you're not having problems then the advice is "if it aint bust, dont fix it".

well john b to answer your question ... i did break a few leaders before i discovered that i could smooth out the sharp hole with a wire wheel grinder at my job ... it got rid of the sharp edges by the hole ends .. i still want to add a better reinforcement to this setup as i want it to be a solid setup before i can give advise on it ... so far its still not 100% but for now after a few flies its has been much better ... more updates to come..

My solution from back in '93 was pretty similar to steveb's, but with just a small nail poked through the holes the clips ordinarily occupied:

"Most Rev flyers have probably experienced the frustration of snagging

a line on the metal rings to which lines are attached on Rev handles.

It is a simple matter to do away with those rings entirely and

install a new attachment method. Start by removing the rings (use a

pair of plyers to pry them open). Next, remove the vinyl endcap.

You'll see that the handle is hollow, and there will be two holes in

the side from the ring. Use a file to smooth the edges of the end of

the handle, then find a nail which will fit through the holes meant

for the ring. Cut the nail short so that when the head of the nail

is pushed tightly against the handle, the other end is flush with the

side of the handle. Cut a small hole in the very tip of the

vinyl cap and insert the end of a knotted loop of line through

the hole in the cap. Pull the nail far enough out of the handle so

you can slip the loop of line over the handle. Push the nail back

through the other hole, and finally slide the endcap back on. The

final result will be a smooth handle end with a piece of line

sticking out from the very end. This line will have a knot at the

end to which you can larkshead your flying line."

I've only done this on the 17" handles I typically use with a bridleless rev II; the handles I've gotten with my b-series kites are still stock.

after todays fly i noticed how much nicer it is without the snag points.. steveb i thought of doing this same idea.. i didnt think it would hold therugh the vinal cap.. but looking at your setup photos i see that it does.. i have a few other methods im going to try .. i will hit the shop tomorrow and set the handles for my few ideas that i thought of so far .. im not trying to make history .. im just trying to make my flying a little eazier .. as i always do.. this setup so far is pretty good but im thinking for long term it wont work.. thats what im working on now.. the last few pigtails i used so far have lasted a while but are lightly fraying.. the smoothing method did work but i have a few more methods i want to try first.. soon i will have the handles i want..

hi all.

if not happy with the triangle clips, and you want leaders.

take of triangles,and rubber cap.

put inside and glue some dowel.

drill through hole, and then buy a p.t.f.e internal bush from a fishing tackle shop (size 6 i think)

put plastic cap back on, find the hole (pain in the butt bit) drill to size of bush, insert bush with a bit of glue, cut to size.

thread leader line through.

this will stop the leader from wearing and snaping.

all the best steve.

• 2 weeks later...
the last few times i went flying i always had a problem with the triangle clips snagging up on my lines .. this happened alot at the rev clinic .. well i took them off and found the handles to be much better .. also i noticed a weight loss as well.. its eazy to do .. check out the photos .. the handles work great.. im sure others fliers have done this already but if so its a great idea..

post-87-1207413137_thumb.jpgpost-87-1207413153_thumb.jpg

i have leaders for these i just didnt put them on yet

Do you still have the bits you took off and if so do you want them ? if not can I have them as I did the same and now want to go back. I have had a lot of fraying of leaders and am now p***ed of with it lol

I bought new endcaps and removed the triangles.

Drilled a new hole and putted new lines in.

Inside the handles i cleaned the drilled surface with sandpaper.

I allso put beads between the knot and the hole in my grips.

Hope it will work and last a long time

post-1786-1208287029_thumb.jpg

If you look at the upper set of handles in this picture, you will see a different idea. Since this picture I shorten those handles a few inches.

post-41-1208325969_thumb.jpg

On the ends of each handle is an aluminum insert sticking out about 25mm(1in). Internally it goes probably 40-45mm(1.5in or so). It is glued in with epoxy. You will notice that the pig tail swivels around the end thus eliminating a momentary wrap around the end of the handle. The pig tail is installed after the insert is glued in. How was that done? I shall photograph an insert shortly and you will see how it is done. The design is my idea and my brother turned them on his lathe. Usually it is the opposite, he designs and I make. However in recent years things have changed.

john.. i thought of this too but didnt do it because if a pigtail breaks how do you replace it??so far my handles are holding up but i do need to do something for longterm use as im sure these will break in time..

john.. i thought of this too but didnt do it because if a pigtail breaks how do you replace it??so far my handles are holding up but i do need to do something for longterm use as im sure these will break in time..

It is no problem with my design to replace the pigtail without pulling the insert out.

Now all I have to do is photograph one of the inserts for my next handle upgrade. Then you will see how I do it.

The main problem you will have is the manufacturing of these inserts. If you can't do it, who will do it for you and how much?

Has anyone tried to re-orientate the triangle clip to the vertical position instead of horizontal? Or use a half round clip?

I have thought about what you have mentioned. I was wondering how you would attach the clip because it needs two opposite sides to attach to. A flat surface would not quite work, with that clip.