Airedrifter

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Yes they will fit but you would also need to make up/but a pair of the little washers to go over the end caps. The B comes with rods that fit inside the end caps. The SLE rods fit outside and need the washers to stop the rods wearing out the bridle. Happy to supply photos if it helps.

To be honest I cannot think of a single circumstance in which I would want to put a SLE on a B though. The rods are so good the SLE rod is totally redundant. My view of course and others may disagree.

For light wind and 360 work which I thing you mean 30 feet is good although some like as low as 20 or 15 feet for 360 work. Some also rate 50 feet for light wind and indeed 50lbs line. I guess I am saying it depend on what you want to do.

Just to add to what John says with the B series you get 2 sets of rods. This means you can put two sets in the leading edge. This means you can have a leading edge far in excess of the SLE in terms of the strength and stiffness.

With my vented B I have never had a doubt about the leading edge despite flying in some truly silly winds over the recent gales here in the UK.

If you buy a vented consider light weight rods. ;)

the SLE in any 1.5, 1 or rev 2 is totally useless .. i to this day dont know whay they still put them in the current rev kites.. the 1/4 size rods are the best race 2 3 and 4 wraps are all you will need for all the winds

While I understand Ant's sentiment, I wouldn't say they're totally useless.

Flying is very much a personal style thing... I'm a firm believer that fliers should try every configuration once as they develop their skills, to get a sense of what does what, and to see if there's a particular feeling in flight that they are partial to, regardless of "flight efficiency" in the performance.

I know a few pilots (very few) who simply prefer the SLE's characteristics.

Bottom line, the SLE tends to be nearly indestructible, a bit faster and significantly less precise.

However, I've said it before... On iQuad, we only use SLE's for flag poles and reprimanding our team members. ;)

I take it John, when you are refering to the lack of precision with a SLE equiped kite you mean the 1.5, friend Rob who near exclusivly flys SLE equiped 1's normally Sedgwick, has the sort of precision many of us only wish for with a kite.

ROFL alden.. i wont dissagree with john as he does make a good point .. however my exp years ago in 1997 came with 1/4 3 wrap rods and my first 1.5 after that came with the SLE .. at the time i didnt know the diffrence between the 2 untill i tried them both .. the SLE made the kite feel top heavy and stiff witch was very hard for me to control plus in light winds the kite peformed lousey.. with the 1/4 rods that i put into my 1.5 from my exp.. i found a HUGE differnce .. i dont know if exp kites always came with 1/4 rods but the one i got did.. once i got the 2 wrap rods and then the race frames today the kite really flies great .. but like john b says it depends on a personal feel of a kite and ones flying style..

I also agree with John on the SLE rods and I am one of the few that actually prefer the SLE rods when I fly...but only if I am flying solo.

When I fly with other pilots then I always swap out the leading edge with the 1/4" rods. They are much better for precision flying and hovering and are a lot more forgiving during flight. For solo flying the 1/4" rods feel a tad bit mushy and sluggish. I prefer the snap and speed of the SLE rod. I also prefer to give lessons with the SLE rod as they are nearly impossible to break.

As a retailer with customers who are just starting to find the enjoyment of Revs, I appreciate the SLE rod. I know that my customers will be spending a lot more time on the flying field learning to fly rather than having their day spoiled with a broken rod. As their skills improve they always have the option of swapping out the SLE rods with the smaller diameter rods such as the race or SUL rods if they wish to.

It does come down to personal preference. I always tell people to try the different rods and choose which ones they like best.

What really amazes me and I think this was a freak instance, Yesterday was very light and variable winds with constant SE to SW changes we started off the day with race rods and 3-wraps 1 of my sons kept the SLE in and it seemed his kite was not only faster but was staying up easier.

My other son decided to switch to the SLE as he was struggling and after watching him fly better I finally had to say "gimme that" now i don't if its because it kept the sail flatter catching more wind that caused it to have what seemed to be more lift but it did which is still keeping me boggled even as I type this.

Of course that annoying SLE twitchiness sent me back to my Race Rods rather quickly and while I had no problem due to experience it still was very prominent the added lift obtained by that flatter sail.

But all in all they still suck :kid_smartass: I'll keep my 1/4" any day.

YThe SLE rods fit outside and need the washers to stop the rods wearing out the bridle. Happy to supply photos if it helps.

Hi Sailor,

slightly off topic, but my SLE washers have been moving about like there's no tomorrow and I've not ever been sure where they should go. I also noticed that one has gone walk-about when we were out flying last night. So, would be really apreciated if you could send us a pic so I can see how it should be done.

Many Thanks

Groz

Hi Sailor,

slightly off topic, but my SLE washers have been moving about like there's no tomorrow and I've not ever been sure where they should go. I also noticed that one has gone walk-about when we were out flying last night. So, would be really apreciated if you could send us a pic so I can see how it should be done.

Many Thanks

Groz

O-rings work great as a replacement, either single well fitted or doubled over and slightly stretched. The latter does not come off easily and get lost.

What really amazes me and I think this was a freak instance, Yesterday was very light and variable winds with constant SE to SW changes we started off the day with race rods and 3-wraps 1 of my sons kept the SLE in and it seemed his kite was not only faster but was staying up easier.

My other son decided to switch to the SLE as he was struggling and after watching him fly better I finally had to say "gimme that" now i don't if its because it kept the sail flatter catching more wind that caused it to have what seemed to be more lift but it did which is still keeping me boggled even as I type this.

Of course that annoying SLE twitchiness sent me back to my Race Rods rather quickly and while I had no problem due to experience it still was very prominent the added lift obtained by that flatter sail.

But all in all they still suck :kid_smartass: I'll keep my 1/4" any day.

Now I only use SLE in a teabag rev or when it's 20+mph it seems to make the kite pull less as it's not deforming and powering up so it seems to be worth keeping the spars just incase lol

Now I only use SLE in a teabag rev or when it's 20+mph it seems to make the kite pull less as it's not deforming and powering up so it seems to be worth keeping the spars just incase lol

The SLE rods definitely have an advantage in strong winds because of the stiffness of the rods causes the sail to be flatter thus reducing the cupping effect of the sail which in turn reduces the pull.

Groz ...

Will these help? shows washer + Standard rod + SLE

Brill thanks Jonesey and all for the advise. Off to the hardware store to buy some 'O'z now :D