Seeking advice on how to stack Rev's...

fileone

Maybe the lines were made to fit a nice old Rev with the unequal bridle arrangement :-) Looks like it didnt take long to sort out though. Nice stack.

Must admit I have done the same. Measured bought lines and found them to be 2 pairs instead of a quad set.

Sorry for getting to this tread so late. The way I connect my train lines to the kite is with a simple larks head. This is also the way that the Rev Stack Lines are connected. You have a loop on each end of the stack line and then you simply thread the loop through the end cap and fold it over to larks head the loop onto the cap. The front kite would have one stack line on each end cap going back to the second kite and one larks head going to the bridle. The second kite would have two stack lines per end cap, one going to the front kite and one going to the third kite. The center line is larks head-ed to the large loop on the center of the leading edge and then "clipped" with the supplied clip to the loop on the back kite (or tied if you don't have a clip). I found that using this method makes the center line very slack because of the slack in the center loops of the kite. I therefore shortened each of the center by tying an additional knot in the line so they were taught like the other leading edge stack lines. Pull the leading edge of the second kite so that all lines are tight and then "pinch" the center line so that it is tight as well, tie a knot at the pinch (or re-tie your end loop knot and cut off the excess).

If you don't like knots you can always splice your line using a fid and make knot-less loops. This works very nicely for a stack and if you leave a bit of the end of your splice hanging out you can adjust your loops for fine tuning. When your all done just cut off the tail and slide it back inside the splice. Splicing your line takes a lot more time and effort than tying does.

I also found that the stacks for some reason put a lot more pull on the brake lines and you need to pull in the top lines a lot or the stack just pulls your arms out of their sockets. With my custom 8 stack of 1.5's I ended up pulling in the top lines about 2-3 inches.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for getting to this tread so late. The way I connect my train lines to the kite is with a simple larks head. This is also the way that the Rev Stack Lines are connected. You have a loop on each end of the stack line and then you simply thread the loop through the end cap and fold it over to larks head the loop onto the cap. The front kite would have one stack line on each end cap going back to the second kite and one larks head going to the bridle. The second kite would have two stack lines per end cap, one going to the front kite and one going to the third kite. The center line is larks head-ed to the large loop on the center of the leading edge and then "clipped" with the supplied clip to the loop on the back kite (or tied if you don't have a clip). I found that using this method makes the center line very slack because of the slack in the center loops of the kite. I therefore shortened each of the center by tying an additional knot in the line so they were taught like the other leading edge stack lines. Pull the leading edge of the second kite so that all lines are tight and then "pinch" the center line so that it is tight as well, tie a knot at the pinch (or re-tie your end loop knot and cut off the excess).

If you don't like knots you can always splice your line using a fid and make knot-less loops. This works very nicely for a stack and if you leave a bit of the end of your splice hanging out you can adjust your loops for fine tuning. When your all done just cut off the tail and slide it back inside the splice. Splicing your line takes a lot more time and effort than tying does.

I also found that the stacks for some reason put a lot more pull on the brake lines and you need to pull in the top lines a lot or the stack just pulls your arms out of their sockets. With my custom 8 stack of 1.5's I ended up pulling in the top lines about 2-3 inches.

Hope this helps.

Kent, Could you make some photos of your connections and post them here?

:) Thanks Kent.

All the help and avice has given me the confidence to get my little project up and working.Everyones been real Kewl.Ive wanted a nice stack for a while and with help from YOU GUYS & GIRLS,ive got a CORKER :D

Your the first to mention the BRAKES on a stack.I couldnt keep the stack up hardly at first.I fly with a good amount of Brake normally,but i near broke my wrists trying to get lift.My new lines where out though,but ther BAMG ON for the next flight on Wednesday.Weather permitting

Thanks Very Much everyone whos helped :clap;

BRIAN...

I am sure I remember someone mentioning it earlier in this hread, however twice is better than never.

Shorten the bottom train lines slightly on the last kite in the train, this should make the train more stable. Also fly the last kite rather than the front one.

Best of luck.

I have also noticed with the 5 stacks I have made up that they do not like brakes, so either bring in the top's a few knots or let out the bottoms or both.

I like to use my power blast handles for the stacks as well especially when i do a speed series stack they just seem more comfortable.

I was very amazed that while stacks do have some pull you cant tune the handles where they fly well and have a tremendous amount of LESS pull with full control.

BTW sweet colors I've been eyeballing that color set all year.

I am sure I remember someone mentioning it earlier in this hread, however twice is better than never.

Shorten the bottom train lines slightly on the last kite in the train, this should make the train more stable. Also fly the last kite rather than the front one.

Best of luck.

There are a number of tricks to stabilize a train.

If only the back REV is shaking and lagging you can:

- extend the train lines to the last REV.

- use a larger REV as the last REV

- shorten the lower two train lines to the last REV. (I have not tried it, just heard of it several times and it makes sense)

If you have a lot of shaking within the train, this is most likely:

- a difference in train line lengths. This includes pigtails, wrapped train lines and etc.

- age difference in sails. The mixing of well used with new sails can give make a difference. Use sails with similar aged stretching.

THANKS AGAIN FELLAS ;) for topdraw advice.

I will Try my Super Blast Handles as suggested by your good self Fortflyer.A change here,a tweek ther seems to make the world of diffrence.

The Pig Tails are also a revalation in set up[Thanks again JM] hadnt thought of Pig Tails,but im a little,,,,cant see the woods for the trees type fella at times,,,, .I first used a Pig Tail that was 4inchs long before the knot on each connection point.When i read JMs post and and advice with the easy as pie picky[thanks John],i retied another couple of knots in each pigtail for tweaking.Once ive got it as balanced as i think is possible.I will cut and seal the Pig Tails i dont use[i THINK]as they should be Redundant.

May put longer pig tails on the back kite to lengthen the distance slightly,it did seem to bounce around a little.

I will check and report back next Flight Soon,

I would like to see the,, OFFICIAL SET UP THAT KENT HAS ON HIS KEWL SITE,,

BRIAN...Getting by with a little HELP from my FREINDS :gathering:

Vry interesting Kent. Never thought about making braided loops for kite lines. Would presumably work for flying lines also.

Braided loops for fly fishing lines I have tried.

Will have a look at my flying lines.

I know my current stack lines are the cored type. Will have to find some more line.

I presume you can supply it??

Supply is no problem. Shanti and Laser Pro are both hollow core. I have used this method for my flying lines as well but I went back to using the sleeving as it is a lot easier and faster to adjust if needed. On my stack lines I try to use the spliced lines because they are so much cleaner looking and I can make the stack line set up while I am watching some useless show on TV waiting for the wind to blow.

The surprising thing about the splice is that it is super strong and doesn't slip. When you invert the line back onto itself the braid is also inverted so the direction of the braid is opposite that of the braid in the center of the line (like two Chinese finger traps - one inside the other - working in opposite directions). Both of these end up working against each other to lock down onto the line so it can't move. Then when you tuck the pigtail back into the line it adds another lock that is also opposite of the inverted line lock. To get the loop back out of the line you have to bunch the line up in two opposing directions for it to come undone.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My two new Bs arrived this afternoon, so I took them and my other two for a test stacking. I think it was Baloo who suggested that I shorten the bottom lines slightly - great suggestion, it made the whole thing way more solid. The four went up beautifully in about 10 knots of wind, and turns and dive stops were just perfect. The combination of a red and yellow vented to start then a red and yellow standard worked a treat, and looked a treat into the bargain. It gives you a great work out too - its amazing how much they pull, but they still never seemed uncontrollable.

BTW monoxide, I just saw your question. I had the same problem. Eventually it stuck me - you simply larks head the stacking line to the knot on the loop that holds the bridle.

• 4 weeks later...
Pictures please Sir,

Hello Baloo,

Some stack piccies are in the gallery under sailor and my "Jolly Ups".

Ok so it is with a shortened version - without all the standards (as wind was a little strong) but you get the idea. ;)

I've suggested groz try stacking Bluey and Purple together sometime....

Gosh how clever that the rev team matched the sky colour perfectly with the 'vent' panel (that it fooled me into believing it were a vented kite) :blush:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?au...=si&img=596

That vent material is quite transparent isn't it... you can see the spar showing through it. (hence my initial confusion) :)

(mesg edited above)

Wind was a bit much, nah, you'd just not eaten enough pies to handle it :lol:

Nice pic Choccy.

ThanX Baloo.

It does look good IRL and a little funny when it oscillates.

I have a short movie file of it flying... ;)

I wonder if the next colour to be released will be orange ?

Now that would go lovely with the gold and red.

• 7 months later...

It was a beautiful day today: sunny and warm enough to wear just a hoodie over a T-shirt. Winds were perfectly smooth and steady, so I thought I'd try stacking some of my B-Series.

One the front, a Vent with 3 Wrap Equipped, followed by a Mid Vent with Race Rods and Standard with 2 Wraps. If the winds were stronger or gusty, I would've used beefier framing, but it was just about laboratory grade. B)

I flew the 3 stack on 90# x 120' lines, but if the wind had been a bit stronger, I would've gone to the 150# line. The lines were singing, but not screaming. The stack got lots of compliments from the people in the park. I still need to do some tuning, but unfortunately, there was no one else around that could fly a Rev, so I couldn't get a good look at the stack from the side.

post-1987-1228275411_thumb.jpg

post-1987-1228275484_thumb.jpg

post-1987-1228275515_thumb.jpg

Only thing I can see is that you should put lines on the outer endcaps as well, the inflight pictures all the lines look taught so your good there.

Looks nice B)

I was going to use 7 link lines, but I ran out of pigtails. :blushing:

This wasn't very well planned, I just tried it on the spur of the moment to see how the stack would work with the 3 different sail types. I just thought that I'd take advantage of a very rare perfect December day.

It is very hard to get a good pic when you're flying by yourself. It's a fair amount of pull to fly one-handed and even then, you mostly see the lead kite. A couple were taken by a dog walker for me and the tip stand one was done by staking my handles with them in a 45° landing and walking down to the kites. The wind was that smooth and steady- the kites stayed posed like that the whole while. :D