Seeking advice on how to stack Rev's...

fileone

I've stacked 5 rev IIs successfully by having stack lines only at the spars (2 on top and 2 on the bottom)

If you just want to test this out, you could try it with 4 stack lines on the top and 4 on the bottom, just at the spars.

Try it in lighter winds and watch to see how the pull affects the back kite, especially the LE. Depending on your tests, you may decide to add more lines.

With the power of the 2-4 I would suggest no less then all 11 points to have stack lines and for flying I would play it safe and go 200# if you have it.

I know how 1 pulls in light wind I'm a 300 lb man I wouldnt want to feel 2 :wacko:

i know you said that i should use 200# for the stack lines but what about the flying lines what lb and length should i have...im about 250# myself. :blue-grin:

i know you said that i should use 200# for the stack lines but what about the flying lines what lb and length should i have...im about 250# myself. :blue-grin:

For 2 of those I'd play it safe and Fly them on at least 200# as far as length thats pretty much what your comfortable with, I have a set of 200# x 120' that I use when the wind is over 15 mph for my 2-4. I'm sure you already have the Power Blast handles so your good there.

Let me know how you make out, I'll stick to stacking Shockwave's and Super Sonics :kid_smartass:

I think I would go 300# or higher for the stack of 2 2-4's. I would also highly agree with Jim (FortFlyer) and use all 11 lines. The power of the 2-4 can be quite a bit and only using the lines off of the standoff's could destroy your kites if the rods ever broke.

I would also suggest using 5 foot or longer stack lines for the two just to make sure you get good air flow over both sails.

Just my opinion, let us know how it works out!

• 2 months later...
All kites hang off of the front kite(s).

Could you clarify this, please? If you have a 5 kite stack, do all 4 hang off the first kite, or does each kite hang off the one directly in front of it?

And thanks for getting my 1.5 SLE to me so quickly Kent. I should be ordering another soon (once I pick a color) along with an extra edge spar (gusty Kansas City winds :kid_cussing: ) and stacking lines :D .

Stuart

[first post]

Could you clarify this, please? If you have a 5 kite stack, do all 4 hang off the first kite, or does each kite hang off the one directly in front of it?

And thanks for getting my 1.5 SLE to me so quickly Kent. I should be ordering another soon (once I pick a color) along with an extra edge spar (gusty Kansas City winds :kid_cussing: ) and stacking lines :D .

Stuart

[first post]

I will presume that you want to stack the REV 1.5.

On each of the REVs you would need to add pig tails (a small loop with a single knot) to each end caps of the seven bridle points.

The train lines usually come as a single set of 7 lines. You will need a set for each REV you connect to the first REV. All of the train lines connect to the pig tails you have attached to each REV, nowhere else. This means that the first and the last REV will have only one train line connected to each pig tail. All of the REVs between will have two train lines attached to each pig tail. One train line goes to the REV in front, the other to the REV behind.

I hope this makes sense to you. If not I will try to explain another way.

Stuart

[first post]

I guess I should clarify. Each kite is stacked to the kite in front of it. But all of the stacked kites are hanging off the front kite(s) in the stack. The front kites take the bulk of the stress. In a simple two kite stack, the back kite is flying like a single kite. The front kite is being pulled from front and back at the same time. Even in a three stack, the front kite is now being pulled by two kites, the second is pulled by one, and the back is flying solo. So all of the kites in the stack are hanging off the front kite even though they are technically attached to the kite in front of them.

I am glad you are enjoying your 1.5. Just let me know when you need another and we can get it right out to you. We also have official Revolution Stack Line kits in stock for when your ready to stack them together.

Hope that helps.

Hi guys,Thanks for all the info ive read on the stacking.

Im looking to stack 5 x 1.5s.I have SLE in the front kite and 3 wrap in the rest.Will this be enough.Ive been told it will,but after reading about the 8 wrap you mentioned Kent its started alarm bells ringing.

I also dont quite understand what you mean about the PIG TAILS and where they locate on the kites.

Sorry if im a little Numpty,but i want to get it built properly.

Thanks

BRIAN...

Hi guys,Thanks for all the info ive read on the stacking.

Im looking to stack 5 x 1.5s.I have SLE in the front kite and 3 wrap in the rest.Will this be enough.Ive been told it will,but after reading about the 8 wrap you mentioned Kent its started alarm bells ringing.

I also dont quite understand what you mean about the PIG TAILS and where they locate on the kites.

Sorry if im a little Numpty,but i want to get it built properly.

Thanks

BRIAN...

In general you should be okay in mild winds.

You could consider changing the front REV rods to the "Revolution Equipped"(4 wrap). That includes the SLE rods in RE. These are normally the rods on the REV 1.5 vented, not the JB. No need to special order tougher rods on a fiver.

As I was training my REVs together before REV ever sold the them as trains, I developed several ways to do the trains. The pig tails method is what I use the most. As I have used this method for over 10 years, I am not sure whether I developed it or maybe saw the idea on Sam Riiter's trains. I don't even remember anymore how he connected his REV trains together.

The attached picture should explain how I do my train lines.

post-41-1193522877_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

John M itchell your a star Sir.Thaks very much for the trouble youve gone to.

I couldnt fathum if two pig tails per connection point are used or just the one,The picky explains that for sure,cheers.The spar info is great also John,thanks again.I think i will contact Kent for the Rev set of stack lines,I hate knots and tying them.

Have a good weekend John,

Thanks again

BRIAN...

John M itchell your a star Sir.Thaks very much for the trouble youve gone to.

I couldnt fathum if two pig tails per connection point are used or just the one,The picky explains that for sure,cheers.The spar info is great also John,thanks again.I think i will contact Kent for the Rev set of stack lines,I hate knots and tying them.

Have a good weekend John,

Thanks again

BRIAN...

I have never looked how REV is doing there train line connections. Why, I don't know.

You could eliminate the pigtail, but that means you have to thread the train lines into all the end caps, which is not that easy on the field.

What I have shown you, allows you to "easily" add in another REV or remove one.

The pigtails could be a weak point in your train lines. You need to make sure your pigtails are strong enough for the train you are making. What I am saying, is that the pigtail should be at least as strong as the train line.

When I install pigtails on a REV, I always leave them installed. Also, I don't bother removing the bridle unless it is a dedicated train.

I will have a look at the official stuff first John,Thanks.

The Pig Tail as you say are defo the way to go.Must save hours of messing and will be good for the Fine TUNEING.

I may just have a try first with two/three of the five stack and see how well i do.Now i fully understand how to assemble properly[thanks to yourself mostly]i think my Good Lady can do the Knot tying and i will do the Technical stuff[makeing the tea]It will be a dedicated stack,so i will have some spare bridles or save them if the stack doesnt float my boat[hardly likely].

Thanks Very Much john,your knowledge is priceless to us all.

BRIAN... :)

Here ya go.My first atempt at a stack.Just ran out of time to set up all five.Flew the four in around a 4mph breeze,LOVELY JUBLY.After some brake adjustment it was OK for its maiden flight.

Thanks for the help everyone.

BRIAN...

So this is the stack you were telling me about!

Very impressive. Let's see a picture of your stack in the air!

post-1680-1193591638_thumb.jpg

Here ya go.My first atempt at a stack.Just ran out of time to set up all five.Flew the four in around a 4mph breeze,LOVELY JUBLY.After some brake adjustment it was OK for its maiden flight.

Thanks for the help everyone.

BRIAN...

Bees in the air. Very nice!

Just wait until that wind gets up to 15 or 20 mph. Then you will be able to touch your toes without bending over.

:D:D:D:lol: ,I have to say John,i cant wait to have a good session on it.

I will finish it Tomorrow and hopefully do a little tweeking on her before i post a few inflight pickys and anything usefull[problems,tips,doZ & dontZ] for anyone putting a stack together.I may have a few more questions myself before im Happy with the finished article.

Just tried to upload a short clip of its Maiden flight,but im not Authorised for the Upload

Thanks again

BRIAN...

Please excuse my blatant lack of knowledge, as I have just recently become addicted to Revolution Kites.

I have already collected three Rev's, and I would like to experiment with a mini stack of dual EXP's.  I have absolutely no knowledge of how to approach stacking Rev's, and I was hoping to ask the experts on how to do this properly.

- Are stacking lines available for purchase, or do these line need to be fabricated by the individual flyer?

- What other considerations should be included in stacking Rev's (stronger flight lines, longer flight lines, etc)?

- Do certain Rev's perform better in a stacked configuration?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a newbie.

line sets for stacks are available from rev or look for dealers on the site to find some.

also read the forums to learn more,there's plenty out here.

good luck

Thank You Kind Sir.

I did mean that i had tried to put the clip directly on here and wasnt Authorised .I could have used the webshots method.I thought you Yorkies had some sorta Enigma machine or had Presidential connections or something to post it directly.

I will send ya the Feature version once ive tweaked the beasty Tomorrow.

Cheers Derek,thanks for your trouble.

Ile let thee aya go wen tha up north owd lad :P,BELTIN ...

Cheers marra

BRIAN...

Thank You Kind Sir.

I did mean that i had tried to put the clip directly on here and wasnt Authorised .I could have used the webshots method.I thought you Yorkies had some sorta Enigma machine or had Presidential connections or something to post it directly.

I will send ya the Feature version once ive tweaked the beasty Tomorrow.

Cheers Derek,thanks for your trouble.

Ile let thee aya go wen tha up north owd lad :P,BELTIN ...

Cheers marra

BRIAN...

Good job :kewlpics:

Thanks Brad :) ,

had a few line problems at first.Had no lift,i had so much brake on.Found the lines where out.I checked them as pairs before i flew as always,but didnt check against eachother.They are a new set made for me by a fellow countryman of yours,who will remain nameless.He had made one pair 6inch longer than the other.

I will post more when the weather is better than Today.

BRIAN... :)