homemade progressive stack

antman

well folks my next project is complete.. with such sucess with the blast stack .. i decided to make my own color clashing progressive stack .. only this one has an EXP in it .. i havent flown it yet as im going to today... i hope it works..

post-87-1206811023_thumb.jpg

well i know the colors dont match to well but hey ill do what ever i have to to get what i want :kid_devlish:

Well done Ant, now you got a stack of stacks.

I have been thinking about making a progressive up.

What length lines did you use. I wonder if the ones I use with my Rev 2 stack would work??

And how did the Rev 2 look with the extera weight on it, did you double up the leading edge??

baloo i use a 4 wrap on my rev 2 and 3 wrap on my exp and rev 1 .. the stock rev stacks are all 4 wrap but to me i go by the old method of putting the stronger rods on the first kite to take all the force of the others pulling it.. i flew it today in a 9 mph wind with 80 foot 200# lines and it was a great first day of flying and a crowd grew on the wildwood boards .. im on to something now .. to stack what ever i can rev wise... im loveing this new project and im ready to show it off in oc maryland and wildwood festivals comeing up .. nobodyspecial now i have a stack to fly with you

took it out flying today and it flew great .. im ready for the progressive stack owners .. i can fly mine with you all :kid_smartass:

I flew my stack today too.It just happened to be at the smithsonian kite festival in washington ,dc.Winds were great.Going to fly at the reflecting pond today.

Thanks for the info Ant.

Just a quick check, the standard issue type Rev 2 rods, are they 4 wrap or 3 wrap??

And how long are your stacking lines?? All the same length or longer for the back set??

baloo my rev 2 has 4 wrap the other 2 have 3 wraps in them.. the best part is that this took me much less time the any stack i ever made

It must be something to do with spring - I made up my first stack today too!!! Just 2 Bs for my for a starter - Well everyone's got to start somewhere - a standard and a vented with the vented at the front. I found the back kite wobbled around a lot, particularly during inverted hovers. I think I need to check those stacking lines to ensure they are absolutely the same length again.

baloo is right and youll also want to tune the stack to make sure all the lines are even..the best part about my stack is that i thought the exp wouldnt keep up with it .. i had a 1.5 ready in case but it is now not needed .. i wonder if im the only owner of a progressive with an exp in it

You might just need to shorten the bottom lines a bit Jeremy.

Presume it is the same with a 2 stack.

My Rev 2 3 stack wobbled till I did the line adjustment thing. Only took about 1/2" to make the difference.

Thanks

I must admit I thought I had got all the lines equal so was surprised when it 'chattered'. I will try shortening a couple of the bottom lines as you suggest.

Excuse my ignorance, but some basic qu's - feel free to re-direct me if there is already a post with appropriate answers..;

1. What length should lines between kites be?

2. How many stack lines are needed - 5?

3. I presume you need stronger flying lines if there is any breeze?

3. Sailor - where are you flying these stacks in Hampshire?

Thanks

Hi Sparky,

There was quite a discussion about stacking. Not sure how to re direct you so,

1, If I remember rightly about 2/3 the length of the leading edge should do.

2, You need at least 6. Both ends of the LE, top and bottom of vertical spars. Many reccomend centre of LE also.

3, Stronger than you would an single kite, depends on breeze. Als you might want to put a stronger LE in the first kite.

4, Not sure on that one.