Would I be mad to buy a Blast so soon...

Jonesey

Question

Just started on this Rev adventure (addiction?) with a vented-B and a 1.5 then picked up a tired Shockwave on e-bay, got myself a rather empty looking Rev bag and was wondering whether a Blast 2-4 is the wrong thing to be coveting at this stage??

The appeal is definitely in the precision and tricks but have it in my mind the blast would add something a different in the light/medium??

Tell me to wait and the kids might get their Easter eggs after all....otherwise that last 2-4 at kiteworld.co.uk has my name on it!

If the appeal is in the precision then maybe a Rev I. slow and graceful, or even a Rev II, fun and skittish, may be the better way to go. Closer to what you really enjoy whilst still offering a bit of variety and filling another pocket in your Rev bag and not leaving such a big hole in your wallet even if you buy a couple of eggs for the kids.

Seen the thread on short lines, a Rev II on short lines with near zero wind is a run way to send a couple of hours and sharpen the reflexes.

Hadn't thought about the Rev 1 option... but did read the short line/Rev2 topic. I am sure my kids will be grateful for the advice!

I guess I have the shockwave for a bit of a yeehaw now and then... just wondered if the Blast was little more 'sophisticated'......

the blast is a great kite however if your new to revs youll want to get some flying time in before you do get into the blast as it is a slightly harder pulling kite then those others.. do add one to your bag it is a fun kite to fly

OK now bear in mind there are 3 varieties to the Blast.

Blast - name speaks for itself and like Antman said it does have some pull to deal with but can be controlled.

Power Blast 2-4 - fun in ultralight will pull your arms off in as little as 5 mph, I'd suggest getting some experience first.

Power Blast 4-8 - Insane pull get lots and lots of experience before even considering.

The Shockwave for some reason is the most difficult to fly with precision more so then the supersonic which to this day I can't figure out what makes a kite with 2" more sail area in every direction fly so differently than its slightly smaller brother.

That Shockwave would be the one I'd suggest mastering after that any Rev aside from mega pull models will be a piece of cake.

Hope that sheds some light, Jim

I flew a friend's Power Blast, I don't know which one it was, in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. The wind was very light, we were flying 1.5 SULs.

The Power Blast was a real workout, even in the very light wind. It took a big step back, and a good, hard pull to launch but then it had lots of pull as long as I kept the kite moving. I flew it for about fifteen minutes. My arms and shoulders had enough.

I would become tired of this kite in a hurry, but then, I am into pairs and teams, and really like to fly the 1.5.

I would suggest trying one out before you buy.

They are different and they can really pull like a horse, if you don't know how to control a REV type quad real well. If you give it a bit too much forward or reverse, you can be in for a real ride before you know what happened.

If you can't test one before buying, wait until you are really good with the REV 1.5 in very strong winds. Then think about it a little more.

When you are to the point were the REV no longer flies you and you have absolute control of the REV, you would enjoy the Blast under the appropriate conditions.

Thanks for the input guys.. great advice, not sure where I would get a test flight but have booked in for Portsmouth in august so maybe there ... will certainly help my bank balance in the meantime!

Which does pose another question... what is it that makes a (usually) rational guy feel the need to buy more Rev's when my Vented B + race rods etc will pretty much cover the wind range round here?

I am beginning to think to think there is some hypnotic effect to the panel layout on revs and am pretty sure that if you play back any of JB's video's in reverse you can hear subliminal voice saying 'buy more Rev's' .... just a theory!

now I wonder if there's anywhere to fly indoors round here........ :blue-confused:

Which does pose another question... what is it that makes a (usually) rational guy feel the need to buy more Rev's when my Vented B + race rods etc will pretty much cover the wind range round here?

Don't worry, it's a disease we have all got. I understand you can get treatment for it at various support groups.

Now, repeat after me "My name is Jonesy and I am a revaholic"

I agree with johnnmitchell

I would say try and fly a blast before you run out and buy one. The blast flys differently then the 1.5. It likes to float & slide (yes and pull). It took me a while to get use to it. But once you do it lives up to its name.

Don't worry, it's a disease we have all got. I understand you can get treatment for it at various support groups.

Now, repeat after me "My name is Jonesy and I am a revaholic"

The difference between a Revdrunk and a Revaholic?

The Revdrunk doesn't have to go to those silly meetings.

1. for what you seem to like, I would deffinately suggest a rev1. I would not suggest the rev II. The rev 2 is fast and twichy, and requires slightly higher winds to keep it up (because of the small size).

2. The reason for more revs is to have more variety in the styles of kite flying, and to cover wind conditions in other places, not just where you live.

3. Indoors is very fun, but takes some getting used to. It is deffinately not as precise as most would like.

I got my Blast 2-4 several months ago. It was disappointing at first. It has so much inertia compared to the 1.5 (with 2 wraps) and I kept hitting the ground when I tried to fly it like the 1.5. It turned out to be very good experience and forced me to adapt to very different flying characteristics. I get great exercise with it and when I switch over to my 1.5 or Rev II afterwards I feel like a magician.

The advice for a test fly has its merrits but I would never have bought the 2-4 if I had test flown it. I'm glad I have it now and sometimes you put in extra effort because you spent the money and don't want to waste it. Soooo - Just buy one and get the experience.

I got my Blast 2-4 several months ago. It was disappointing at first. It has so much inertia compared to the 1.5 (with 2 wraps) and I kept hitting the ground when I tried to fly it like the 1.5. It turned out to be very good experience and forced me to adapt to very different flying characteristics. I get great exercise with it and when I switch over to my 1.5 or Rev II afterwards I feel like a magician.

The advice for a test fly has its merrits but I would never have bought the 2-4 if I had test flown it. I'm glad I have it now and sometimes you put in extra effort because you spent the money and don't want to waste it. Soooo - Just buy one and get the experience.

Agree!! I got a Blast soon after I started flying Revs. I flew it a hand full of times and put it away thinking I goofed and should have never wasted my bucks. I took it out again after quite a bit of time on my 1.5 and it was like a new kite. Now I take it out on low wind days and totally enjoy the differences. When you go back to the 1.5 it feels like there is no kite at the end of the strings. I also think flying the different Revs forces me to have a better understanding of the flight characteristic's of the kites and makes me a better flier on all of them.

Jonesey, I do hope you are kidding about kites or Easter eggs for the kids.

On the basis that 10 days have passed since Jonesey last bought a kite, I am certain the Blast will be ordered this week Whether the Easter eggs arrive or not is another matter.

It is just a shame that there is 30kts forecast for the next 7 days!

Still, I shall doughtless be laughing loudly as I hang onto his ankles while he is towed around the south coast of England!

:kid_devlish:

Sparky...

Unlike you I wont be spending my summer at a nice light air Olympic sailing venue in China so I need all the practice I can get in this weekend gales before my new blast arrives....

p.s. actually if you really wouldnt mind holding my ankles it would be much appreciated.....

Ok, ok... My name is Alden, I am a revaholic!

I just got of the phone with Kent. My Black/Blue/White Blast 2-4 is on it's way to me.

If I can't fly it I know where to come for advice.

-Alden

(Now we'll talk Joe into getting one) :kid_devlish:

Alden we can fly Team 2-4's at wildwood in may i'll be there hell or high water.

new team name iHurt :lol:

Sparky...

Unlike you I wont be spending my summer at a nice light air Olympic sailing venue in China so I need all the practice I can get in this weekend gales before my new blast arrives....

Just got back from there. Oh Boy Sparky, you're going to really love Qingdao, not. I should take a blast to amuse yourself with while the team makes their way to the leeward mark. ;)