Short Lines

sailor99

Just got back from a short but phenominally interested fly. Rain is forecast for the whole weekend here, but there was a short clear spell this morning, and due to work pressures I have not been out all week, so I was out with the larks. It wasn't the sort of wind I would normally bother with being just the gentlest breeze, just 2-3 knots, but I wanted to try my new (well, second hand) SUL out. So set it up with the normal 80' lines. And it flew great.

Then I rememebered that I had made up some short lines out of left-overs when I made some 120' lines. So tried the SUL with those. Amazing. It is like you are holding the kite with your fingers. It is so close (the lines are about 30') and so responsive. I was just getting the new feel of hovers and the rest with these new lines when the wind picked up a little. So packed up the SUL and got out the standard B on the 80' lines. Then the wind went some more, perhaps 8-10knots, so swapped again to the B vented.

It was then that the revolation happened. Just for the devilment and because they were still laid out on the ground I put the B on the short lines. WOW and DOUBLE WOW! The combination of the vented, race frame and shortlines was, well, um, I can't think of the words. The vented softens out all the twitchiness but you still get the intamacy with your kite and sensitivity of control.

I am sure many people have done this before, but to me, on my own in a field, it felt as if I had just invented the wheel. And it struck me why I have got so hooked on these damn kites. No two days are the same, every time you fly you learn something new and it is challenging but not impossible to do. And long may this continue.

And of course all too soon the rain set in. Still, can't wait for it to clear and I can get out again. Wow! I could even fly in my garden!

The combination of the vented, race frame and shortlines....

Very interesting. Keep on experimenting and reporting your findings.

We too had a brief spell before the heavens opened (earlier than expected) this morning.

As you said no 2 days are the same here - the wind was very light, and it was great to use the different knot settings on the handles ;)

I managed to keep aloft when an unexpected pack of hounds came by on the public path without any trouble (phew)!

Must make us some short lines too.

Hi Jeremy.

nice one, now you have got the hang of short lines, next time out practise the catch and throw.

kite right over your head, both handles in left hand, pull top 2 lines towards you and catch.

dont do my trick and drop the handles.

once caught, hold kite javelin style, throw in a upwards direction, grab the handles and stop the kite from hitting the deck.

all the best steve.

i love useing 50 foot lines for flying the wildwood boardwalk that is a true blast as you can land your kite for a slice of pizza and then go down a few blocks more for some beers and flying enterinment.. the people love it when i do stalls of the roofs and sometimes i get free stuff for putting on a boardwalk flying show.. im no john b by any means but just to entertain the people with my basics is fine by me.. their have been days where i have had lines snagged on roof tops or worse so their are alot of risks i take when entering the boards...

Great idea Pudsli. I have seen it on a vid so, as you say, I better have a go next time.

I like the Boardwalk story as well Mr A. I will have to have a think about where I could do similar here, although I am not sure of the law in the UK. Perhaps a seaside promenade or pier.

The height limit is to low or not high enough.

Had one line kite up over 1500ft with fairy lights on and a strobe.It pulled like a truck.Took 3 of us to reel it in.Flown 2 dual line at once on 200ft.

Short lines on a rev or dualine are cool.

BRIAN,,,

I flew 200' lines a few times. The kite was so far away and small I found that I lost interest in it after awhile. Another problem was at the bottom of the window winds were lite at the top I needed a vented. It was lots of fun for a day and a great experience. Cut down they made a nice set of 120's for team stuff and a nice set of 80's to play with most of the time. I also have a set of 30's to use in small areas and crowded days which are a ton of fun. After a day of flying with the 30's I feel like I can do anything on the 120's.

It's all good! B)

I nearly suggested 30ft lines myself Denny,As ya say,once you get your head around the kite being so close and in your face almost[it does seem that way].The speed and movement are kewl.

When ya get the long lines out again.Its like flying in slowmotion.

BRIAN

When ya get the long lines out again.Its like flying in slowmotion.

You hit the nail on the head there. It was both weird and great going to the shortlines. But going back to the long lines (well 80' anyway) it seemed the kite was sooooooooo slooooow - and I had to put my specs on to see it!

It was both weird and great going to the shortlines. But going back to the long lines (well 80' anyway) it seemed the kite was sooooooooo slooooow - and I had to put my specs on to see it!

So does that mean you can fudge/fluff 'mistakes' more easily on the longer lines than the short ones ?

Booo it is raining again today :blue-confused:

So does that mean you can fudge/fluff 'mistakes' more easily on the longer lines than the short ones ?

I wouldn't know as I never make any. I only ever hit the ground or go racing off left field intentionally :innocent:

I have hear lesser flyers say that it is easier with long lines.

i also managed a quick flight in the new forest between showers yesterday to test my new race frame... 2-3knots max... was so absorbed/impressed I didn't hear a pony that sneaked up behind me and then nudged me in the back! not my best ever landing and my heart didn't stop pounding until I was back in the car... didn't realise this was such a high risk sport!

That was going to be my suggestion. Well doen Watty.

Always remember Dave Brittain flying at Oakland in the Hotel dining room, so small could only do 180's then bang off the wall or a little up and over, hitting the chandelier , when kneeling done.

Next time we get the UK crowd together remind us and we'll get Ian Webb to show his short line skills V good :kid_content:

perhaps have a short line day. Hey lets do Bristol on 20 foot lines, make the space easier :kid_devlish:

If you guys like short lines, try flying indoors with 5-20 foot lines!

i also managed a quick flight in the new forest between showers yesterday to test my new race frame... 2-3knots max... was so absorbed/impressed I didn't hear a pony that sneaked up behind me and then nudged me in the back! not my best ever landing and my heart didn't stop pounding until I was back in the car... didn't realise this was such a high risk sport!

It was like a Boxing Day hunt (minus the red Jackets) when we flew last weekend: pack of hounds and horses thundered through on a public path some distance away from us. It was a little unsettling but all was ok as we kept the kites either on the ground or directly above. They really shouldn't have been on the public path when they have their own fields.

So don't flame us.

No one batted an eye lid when Jonesey had a pony nudge them in the back whilst flying despite there being "Bye laws" in the New Forest where he had been flying.... ..didn't you want to comment (as usual)... or was it because the pony was wild and without a rider ?

stay safe... be aware.

Jonesey> Where abouts in the New Forest did you fly ? Glad you survived the experience. :)

Choccy... just off the old airfield between Beaulieu and Lymington.... Midweek nobody around (odd horse excepted), I have a few clients in Lymington and Bucklers hard so seemed like a perfect opportunity to test my new race rods on route... Didnt know there were any Bye laws referring to Kites..oops!

So should I be trying my shockwave on short lines?? maybe blindfold... one handed??

Either way dont think this Easter break is going to give us much time for experimentation... so far only managed to snatch an hour on the beach and half an hour in Bristol (visiting the old folks).. picture old couple and grand children sat in car with blankets over knees overlooking Clifton Suspension bridge whilst soon to be 50 year old son shows of his new skills(?) in 30knt gusts and wind chill of -5 to very little appreciation..... sound familiar??