All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. Another breezy day so I was flying the RSS kite today. There were two other fliers nearby but we were not sharing kit so they were flying the Xtra Vents by Bazzer. Flying was ‘at a distance’ except for one moment when a family group came a bit close. Should have grounded the kites really… A further session on the Hex Pilot and this time the breeze was consistently strong enough to keep the kite at the top of the window which turned out to be really quite high. Except, of course, for when a switch occurred and the kite went into a spin all the way to the ground. Dropping the line tension will probably resolve the spin but I was not quite set up to release line fast today. A further small adjustment to the bridle may also resolve line pressure sufficiently. I am very pleased to have put this kite together even if it does not eventually get used with the Peter Malinski Hexagonal kite train. Felix
  3. Earlier
  4. It was strange to be driving to Blackheath today. I was quite prepared to turn around and drive home again if there was any indication of congestion on the site. While there were people about, many in pairs at a distance, there was plenty of space at our usual spot. Mid vent 1.5 for a while just to remember how it felt on a dry surface with some sun breaking through the high cloud. I then set up the Hexagonal ‘pilot’ kite that was sewn up back in the autumn as a possible replacement for the missing element of the Peter Malinski ‘stack’. The bridle had been roughly configured but I knew that there may be some considerable ‘tuning’ required to achieve anything like a stable and sustained flight. A combination of re-tying and using dowel pegs eventually got close to stable flight on a fixed line. At that point I extended the flying line, hand held it, and found that the kite was flying like a well balanced fighter kite. It really needed slack line in order to change direction or to stop a spin. While I had put seven lines in the bridle the centre and top two are the main elements and it may be that the remaining four lines will need to be discarded. It is possible that they are the cause of instability. More experimentation is required but considerable progress had been made today! Felix
  5. Your video link doesn't work for me.
  6. Website distraction yesterday in a good way. I had found some details of the two kites that were raffled in aid of the Bristol Kite Festival 2009. They were in the original JMH design from 1991 but in the 1.5 format, one yellow, one blue. After a bit of further research I found some images by Laura Berg from Long Beach WSIKF 2009 and Laura was able to send me higher resolution versions for the web site. It was good to pin down that episode and to be reminded that Rich Comrass who Jake and I met in Miami 2013 was one of the winners of the raffle. It may now be possible to fly kites individually depending on the interpretation of the new rules that are coming into effect during this week. Felix
  7. Cervia would have ended today and the lilac bush in the Hackney garden here has begun to end its glorious spring show. Still haven’t started the Tetraeder exercise but the weather has not been great this last week. The 1992 Rev 1 re-make project is now in hand. Martin Lester will sew the sails and Revolution will finish them as has been our practice. They may be finished in time for any surviving Autumn events but probably will only really get used next year. Something to look forward to, anyway. It is quite likely that we will also get the fourth Rokkaku made as well, to complete the set. Not sure that my sewing skills are up to that yet so probably get ‘someone else’ to do it! I have laid off the JMH kite repair works in the last few weeks and intend to pick up on that soon hoping for a slight lifting of restrictions over the summer. One issue that I have encountered is figuring out how to remember what needs to be done and to keep track in some way. Getting spares organised and ‘in place’ is also needing further attention. That is a useful reminder that JC may also have some Rev SLE spares that could be very useful for some of the JMH kites, notably the early 7m Delta which needs replacement for broken bamboo spars. Felix
  8. Hey guys, I bought a Revolution Reflex EXP Kite some time ago and tried flying it several times. Everytime I could improve a little bit to manage it in the air. So far it went quite well but I have one issue I am not getting rid of. From time to time the kite somehow drifts to the side, completely loses its boost and crashes. I made a video. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you! <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/414278107" width="640" height="1165" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/414278107">VID-20200502-WA0005</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user114474601">Sven</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  9. Super excited to get my Rev into the air. I'm in central Wyoming and its Cooooold and windy alot here. I got my first Rev the "Tarantula" last summer but didn't get much time in as I was expecting a baby. He is big enough to watch now and the weather is turning warm. Cant wait to get out with my Kite that is currently hanging on my wall calling to me.
  10. ha, just saw this Monkey..... Ha, whole bag, not quite. I carry about a dozen kites minimum (in the Orvis Full sized Carry-on padded case). It is like a wallet or a cell phone, handy always! Then there's another bag of excessively sized quads that don't fit or make the cut to the "A" bag. Mini-Ryvs? A case for 4 stacks, hard-sider, plastic waffle board lined and Brianne's sewing expertise to turn it into a double sided case. I can carry half of it or all. each stack is six kites, three are 42 inch LE baby revs by Harold Ames, the last is a 36 inch set by Paul Dugard,... they need 25-40 mph to take off and are a hoot hiding by a structure whilst flying THEM out into that gale. Each half case holds two stacks of six kites if I could only have one kite though it would have to be a Zen,... I've abused four of 'em to valueless rags since introduction of that model. Gust buster, no wind long line super reliable demo kite, superb teaching aide, defines the words "slow and graceful" in flight dynamics (for example; axels are timed with sun dials!) Walking on foot to my local park, at least 14 kites accompany me, together with a dozen sets of handles, lunch (my Barbara is queen of sandwiches!). I tow a wagon, can't imagine why anyone would try to carry the kite supplies on their back only.
  11. So, that is the sixth week with no flying. Berck would have completed and Cervia would be well underway! Further work on the website through the week so there are now 29 event pages and 25 kite and banner pages. I have set up an entry page with a copy of the introduction page from about 1992 along with the storyboard I prepared in February 2020. The index has been reduced to five headings, some of them toggling with context. The good news this week is that JC has located the Blue (Ultramarine) Rokkaku from the 1992 set of four. That means that only the Red one is missing now. He also confirmed that he has the Flexifoil sails. They are illustrated on the c1992 page. Not sure what we would do with them but great to know that they are also not lost. We’ll certainly get them photographed when the opportunity arises. Felix
  12. hawkeye

Kite Stakes

I was talking about John B from Kitelife.He has since said that LS Kitestakes are no longer in business.So now Ill just stick with I've made,a golf ball on a spike. Cheers Dave M
  13. makatakam

Kite Stakes

Cool, because the rest of us have no idea which John you meant. Many other people make similar stakes, including the Chinese. I know this one guy, John, who uses a rusty screwdriver, but I'm guessing you already knew where to find those.
  14. hawkeye

Kite Stakes

I found them they are made by LS Stakes
  15. makatakam

Kite Stakes

Ask John. I'm sure he knows.
  16. hawkeye

Kite Stakes

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a kite stake like John uses. Cheers Dave
  17. Another diary entry for my benefit as much as anything else. Further work done on the Decs web site during the week and it now seem that a further re-build is needed to reflect an emphasis on the visual elements of the events recorded and the kites. I’ll probably look for a visual splash screen and take it from there. Some elements may be condensed… The easterly winds persisted all week so it would have been quite a challenge at Berck but at least mostly sunny! Felix
  18. I was completely preoccupied yesterday with web site updates using images that Davide Baroni had kindly sent. They are from Cervia 2014-2019 so plenty to be configuring with a few of my own images for context. Today Marian Linford has sent a whole set of images from Cervia 2016, so more to do! Light wind yesterday which would probably have meant an onshore sea breeze at Berck. Today and for the rest of the week it looks like easterly winds will prevail so it would have been quite difficult for kite flying. Felix
  19. 12-22mph SSE with clear blue sky would have been a perfect flying day so that is one day down to the lock down, rather than the weather. I did do my normal weekday 10 miles on the bike, except, of course, going around Victoria Park rather than through it! There were quite a lot of cyclists and runners in the parts of the ride where I do not usually see anyone at all. I had thought that I might do some Tetraeder building today but did not quite get to it! On the web site I ended up scanning colour prints from a group of early festivals so I now have some images of the kites to work with as well. Too many of the early digital images were just too small for the storyboard idea. Felix
  20. So, you just brought your whole bag Be well!
  21. Strong NNE wind with wintery showers would not have been particularly enticing for kite flying on Blackheath today. So, some more imagined launches and thoughts about further material for the web site. I have looked at some of the notes I made at or after events. It can be a strange shorthand for what was a very focused activity over periods of days in some cases. The routine in Cervia 2014 is a case in point particularly as Davide Baroni is posting images from his extensive catalogue on Facebook. I’m thinking that a ‘storyboard’ pdf of the JMH Rev designs would be a simple solution given that we do not have many high resolution images of the older designs. Just about getting geared up to do it alongside the various little bits of maintenance needed on JMH kites! Felix
  22. While taking the air, going for a walk, run or cycle ride may not be prohibited in London just yet it seemed appropriate to show restraint hoping that more stringent rulings will remain distant. So virtual kite flying only today after another week of consolidating records on the web site. The accumulative record is much more impressive than the constituent parts. I like the idea of gradually being able to populate the records of past events, maybe only with a couple of images but also with written memories. Interesting to have a record of weekly notes over the last 10+ years to hand as well! If the weather remains fine I might start on some back yard Tetraeder training. There may just be room to get a flyable unit built even with zero prospect of a launch. Felix
  23. Another breezy day, 15-30mph SSW, mostly cloudy but with the odd flash of sun and blue sky. RSS sails were comfortable and today, even with only three fliers there were some called moves. We put together the JMH Flare Kite 1986 as it is almost the last kite to have a page set up on the site. (Once done I will start on the Rev designs.) The wind was outside the comfort zone but it was useful to try adjusting the bias that appeared in the stronger gusts. The adjustment required is less than a dowel peg so I started to shift the bridle line. The first step in this respect was not enough but the line was marked for future reference. I have been considering making plans for a Malinski Tetraeder session but that will depend on weather conditions and if outside activities are permitted in the coming weeks. A slightly desperate prospect really! Felix
  24. If I absolutely had to, I could get by on a standard sail, a full vent and a roll of masking tape, as I did for a couple of years when starting out.
  25. Two Bazzers and Five Shook for me,....... 1. Zen 2. AuA indoor 3. SUL B-Pro full sail (or Phoenix Ashe) 4. 40% Shook 5. 75% Shook 6. B-2 Shook (called the CR2, only in a 75%) 7. a 135% Shook
  26. Alas no, it would not fit, the XX is a little bit bigger than the RX. But, Rev could certainly make you an RX travel frame.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements