I did take the personal revs to Blackheath today but managed to ‘forget’ the handle bag. As no one else was expected that really didn’t matter but I had also left the SLK toolkit behind as well. That might have been irritating!
The challenge today was to set up the Edo kite solo. After the kind assistance of the team at the beginning of June I knew that I had to establish a method to accomplish this. I know that ground stakes are only to be used ‘carefully’ and as conditions were relatively calm I used the mooring pin to attach the bridle and the flying line. I set the spars and then walked the kite away downwind and placed it face up with the leading edge/top of the kite upwind secured, on this occasion, with my jacket.
I then combed the lines back towards the anchor point. This is a slow process but it helps to know that it will resolve successfully.
The bridle point was then switched from the anchor to the flying line and the kite was walked out and placed face down leading edge still to the front and the bow set. Then the kite was rolled and the bridle lines checked with the leading edge on the ground.
Finally, keeping the bridle lines supporting the kite it was turned to leading edge up and launched once the centre of the window had been found.
I launched the kite several times and while it was stable in the centre of the wind window when the wind was lighter as soon as a stronger flow occurred the kite tracked clockwise until it inevitably hit the ground.
On breaking down the kite the process was reversed but I put a holding knot in the bridle lines at the anchor end first before taking the comb back to the kite and looping the lines together, using the carabiner to hold the final loop!