Vented or not?

imarche

Question

Hi folks,

I have a std B-series. Am contemplating a vented 1.5. The winds in my area are typically <13mph. Mostly in the 5-10mph range. I find the std B to be overpowering when winds are close to 10mpish and I've got both 2 and 3wraps LE together. It's too twitchy for my preference.

I'm thinking of a vented with 3wraps. I can add the 2 wraps from the B-series when needed. Do you guys fly with a vented in 10mpish winds? I've read the thread abt UL frames in venteds. Like the idea too.

Cheers

Clin

A Vented Rev, of any Kind, is a Must have for any Rev Flyer....

My personal favorite is to run a vented B with either race rods or 2 wrap. Then as the wind climbs change up through the spars. Then throw the 3 and four wrap in the leading edge. Then if you must the SLE. This will of course mean taking down your small banner that you have made to retrieve this broom stick :kid_smartass:

So I would suggest a vented B ( comes with three and 4 wrap)with a set of race rods.

Bazzer

Do you guys fly with a vented in 10mpish winds? I've read the thread abt UL frames in venteds. Like the idea too.

Cheers

Clin

For sure. A vented 1.5 with two wrap frame flies very well in 10mph, or less. You will find a really big difference and it is very smooth. When the wind comes up, change to three wrap and if needed, simply add your two wrap to the leading edge.

You'll love it.

For sure. A vented 1.5 with two wrap frame flies very well in 10mph, or less. You will find a really big difference and it is very smooth. When the wind comes up, change to three wrap and if needed, simply add your two wrap to the leading edge.

You'll love it.

Thks guys! That's my plan. I'd skip the 4wraps since I'd hardly meet those types of winds that would render it. The B-series vented is a little too dear. Am settling for a normal vented.

Clin

Thks guys! That's my plan. I'd skip the 4wraps since I'd hardly meet those types of winds that would render it. The B-series vented is a little too dear. Am settling for a normal vented.

Clin

I’m a bit confused. In the UK the standard B comes with Pro Use (2 wrap) and Ultra Light (3 wrap) frames and the vented comes with a second Ultra Light and a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame.

Are you considering a special order single “normal vented”, as by default a “normal vented” 1.5 comes with a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame with the thicker ½ inch sle leading edge. By the time you have replaced the leading edge you may as well bite the bullet, get the vented B and then you will be able to have a matched pair that will cover all the bases.

Clin

If you have your choice, choose a non-mylar vented version of the REV 1.5 whether it be a B or the SLE.

I personally have nothing against the SLE rods as they are quite good in very strong winds, however others will try to convince you other wise. If you don't want the SLE rods, I would suggest asking for the 4-wrap(Revolution Equipped) rods. They are great for those rare nastily strong winds.

I'm a bit confused. In the UK the standard B comes with Pro Use (2 wrap) and Ultra Light (3 wrap) frames and the vented comes with a second Ultra Light and a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame.

Are you considering a special order single "normal vented", as by default a "normal vented" 1.5 comes with a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame with the thicker ½ inch sle leading edge. By the time you have replaced the leading edge you may as well bite the bullet, get the vented B and then you will be able to have a matched pair that will cover all the bases.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to get a non-mylar vented with all 3wraps rods. I've tried the SLE rods but don't like it, while the 4wraps would be overkill for the winds I have, I think. I can add the 2wraps in if required, much like Jim Foster's suggestion.

Cheers

Clin

Hi Clin,

As you already have a 2 and 3 wrap frame with the B I wonder if it is worth considering ordering your non-mylar 1.5 V with Race rods?? I know it will cost you a few $ more but will further extend your flying flexibility??

As I understand it Race rods are almost in between 2 and 3 wrap for weight and fleibility with a slightly different "(re) action". I may be wrong though.

The vented B flies fly's like a dream in 10ish winds when equipped with Race Rods!!! I know the B-series cost more, but I think it is worth it for its flying characteristics. :kid_smartass:

My 2 cents,

Joe

I'd def love to have a matching vented B but alas, finance rules :blue_wink:

Btw, would you guys think a vented B or 1.5 would be more similiar compared to a std B against a 1.5? Since the vents are almost similar and I guess the venting position/size would dominate more, I'd guess the flight characteristics would be closer?

Anyone?

Clin

I'd def love to have a matching vented B but alas, finance rules :blue_wink:

Btw, would you guys think a vented B or 1.5 would be more similiar compared to a std B against a 1.5? Since the vents are almost similar and I guess the venting position/size would dominate more, I'd guess the flight characteristics would be closer?

Anyone?

Clin

I think the difference would be the same as between B-series standard and a 1.5sle. But, I have never flown a 1.5sle vented, just my B vent. :confused!:

Joe

My personal favorite is to run a vented B with either race rods or 2 wrap. Then as the wind climbs change up through the spars. Then throw the 3 and four wrap in the leading edge. Then if you must the SLE. This will of course mean taking down your small banner that you have made to retrieve this broom stick :kid_smartass:

So I would suggest a vented B ( comes with three and 4 wrap)with a set of race rods.

Bazzer

Right on Bazz... :ani_victory:

Although It seems more expensive to purchase a B Series Vented Rev..

But It is not and here is why :g:

You Receive two Full sets of Rods.

A 3 wrap set and a 4 wrap set.

These two sets were created for three different wind conditions

3 Wrap for med to high Winds 7 - 10 Mph (Give or take)

4 Wrap for high winds 10 - 15 Mph

Combining the 4 and the 3 wrap for Very High Winds. 15 Mph and Above

It's like have three kites..

If you Purchase a set or Race Rods it flies Fantastic in Med winds 4 - 7 Mph

Also the B Series Kites come with Handles that have Knotted Leaders

for increasing or decreasing the Amount of brake desired.

Basicly, your getting more Stuff for the money and it is Relatively the same price.

The Difference is... you get what you need from the start..

For me....This is the Kite to Purchase.

I definaly agree with the above. Of course if you cant afford a B, but can afford a 1.5 with rods of your choice. Then buy the additional rod sets when you can. that is the way you have to go.

The Knotted leaders are EASY and CHEAP to make yourself.

The down side YOU DONT HAVE A B SERIES.

I have quite a few Revs in my bag. If I had been able to buy a B and a Bv as my first kites then I would not have as many kites!! Good for me, bad for Rev.

With the 2 B's in my bag I have Revs for ALL flyable wind ranges. 2 wrap, 2 x 3 wrap and 4 wrap with full and vented sails, a NEAT sail layout, what else could you need? Oh yes a Race Rod set and some flying lines!!

After this past weekend in Wildwood, I can honestly say the difference between a standard 1.5 and a vented 1.5 is like NIGHT & DAY in those kinds of winds. I don't own a vented yet, but kind folk were nice enough to lend me their venteds to play with. I used both a vented 1.5, and a vented B. I have to say both were equally smooth from what I observed.

vented always the first out of the bag for me, a must in our crazy strong winds.

It's a definite work out!

I actually don't like it when the wind drops off too much now I've built some tone/strength up.

I've owned a lot of vented dual line [bAN!] kites over the years and never enjoyed flying them. They were sometimes necessary for strong winds, but I always found their performance lacking compared to the standard and ultralight versions.

All that changed with Revs. I spent a blustery WSIKF afternoon with my Vented SLE a few years ago and couldn't get over how well the kite flew. Everything felt smoother and more controlled. For the first time, I could actually fly some precision with a Rev.

It's even better with a B-Series and a lighter frame. My current favourite is the B-Series and Race Rods. It puts a smile on my face every time. :D

I've owned a lot of vented dual line [bAN!] kites over the years and never enjoyed flying them. They were sometimes necessary for strong winds, but I always found their performance lacking compared to the standard and ultralight versions.

All that changed with Revs. I spent a blustery WSIKF afternoon with my Vented SLE a few years ago and couldn't get over how well the kite flew. Everything felt smoother and more controlled. For the first time, I could actually fly some precision with a Rev.

It's even better with a B-Series and a lighter frame. My current favourite is the B-Series and Race Rods. It puts a smile on my face every time. :D

I just picked up a B series vented and the guy told me it had 2 and 3 wrap rods. Tried what he said was the 2 wraps in light wind and it was like a feather. Question. Does the B Series come with 3 and 4 wraps Standard or was this a special ? I have an SLE with the standard 4 wrap leading edge and It's abour a 1/4" in diameter. How do you tell the difference in 2,3 and 4 wrap rod ? Picked up the B at Cutting Edge in Ocean Shores.

The Vented B is supposed to come with 3 and 4 wrap, marked "Ultra Light" and "Revolution Equipped" respectively.

The new rods have silver labels, with a corresponding number of feathers printed on it... 3 feathers for 3 wrap, etc.

2 wraps are generally marked as "Professional Use Only", or have two feathers on the new labels. ;)

Please confirm what you actually received with the kite?

Picked up my first B STD at Wildwood to go along with an old EXP and 1.5. Also have full set of Race Rods and 2 SLE's.

So now that I have all the various sets of rods I guess I now need to get a B Vented sail and Bridle to complete the circle..........for now.

Would Ben sell just a pre bridled Vented sail????