When to use Race Frame

Strutless

Question

I purchased a B-Series Rev mid-vent Kite that came with a 3-wrap and Race frames.   I've been using the 3-wrap and enjoying the heck out of it.  I tend to fly when it's 10+ mph, never in light wind.

(I just like the pull of a kite in stronger wind).  My favorite wind is 15-20.   Should I try the race frame?  Is it too fragile for 10mph +? Will the kite fly ok?  or should I be looking into getting a 4-wrap for the

wind that I like to fly in?

2 answers to this question

4 wrap would be stronger for those stronger winds.  The race frame will work best on the lower end of the wind range (under 12 mph).   Usually it all depends on just how hard the kite is pulling and how much flex your frame is taking.  If the leading edge is bowing a lot, it is usually time to go to the stronger frame.

you can change how much it feels (pulls) by varying the amount of "down" tuned into the handles.  

Square to the wind = the maximum pressure (imagine a sheet of plywood in wind tunnel)  

By angling it either forward or backwards from square you can lessen the pressure,... one way makes it back-up better and one way makes it have less pull.  Examples? Well if you were flying a stack it was pulling your arms out, you'd angle it towards more forward drive, it doesn't want to back-up as a stack anyway, so lessening the pull (not allowing the sail to arrive at square) is appreciated.  On the other side is a competition flight for quad precision.  You want it slow and precise, more "down" gives you that control.  You want to flail away and do some tricks or slack line flight, more down is where it's at!

Changing the leading edge stiffness also affects how fast the sail re-inflates if doing tricks, more bend is a quicker re-powered up.  The other side of all that flex is "tracking".  A stiff leading edge will stay on course once set into motion better.  It will turn easier on the wind-tips and fly a nice straight line,... almost free!

A heavier leading edge is great for catching the kite, a more flexible leading edge is great to throw and re-power it up at the ends of the line.

No one framing solution fits every need, even in the same kite sail.

I'd use the race frame whenever I wanted to do tricks or slack line flailing, the heavier frame in a team environment.  My line sets would vary as well as the length of the handles too.  Shorter handles/ longer lines on the stiff frame.  Long throw handles and short lines on the flexible frame.