Wiggles progress

Wiggle

I've been delighted to  read all the information about rev's and flying them. What a superb forum :-) 

My own learning experience has been totally different from the one's I've read.....so perhaps people might find it interesting? 

Im 50 years old and was bitten by the kite bug at an early age, my interest soared when Peter Powell invented the 2 line kite and later in life  at 48 i bought my first 4 line kite a striker 4.0. i was impressed with its size but disappointed with it's wind range!  To much wind was dangerous for an old guy!   So when I saw the revolution videos on utube i was gob smaked! Wow!!!   I thought they had fixed the videos on a computer! They did impossible things....i had to have one!  I found a rev B2 at 75 percent discount and decided to go for it!     I haven't been flying long but I'm already in love with it.   It sometimes feels like I'm learning to drive with a Ferrari !  When things go wrong they go wrong FAST!!! Inverted hovers quickly turn to full speed collisions with the ground! And propeller spins quickly become a BLUR....none of this leaves me disappointed, in fact quite the opposite.... Im looking forward to taming the stallion! 

You will have fun learning to fly a Rev using a B2. It is quicker than its bigger brother, the 1.5, and moves like Taz on steroids. When you become proficient using this kite, a full-sized Rev will be sooooooo eeeeeeasy to fly.

A bit of advice -- if you are going to crash, give to the kite. In other words, move your whole body forward and push your arms out toward the kite. This will reduce the severity of the impact. Or just hit both brake (bottom) lines hard. Try hitting the bottom lines hard a few times while you're not crashing yet to get the hang of it. That's how you stop the kite if you don't like where it's going.

To get control of your inverted hover try this. Fly to the top of the window, turn it over and fly toward the ground as slowly as possible. Go back up, repeat. Go slower each time. If you do this 100 times, I guarantee you will own your hover.

Thanks for the advice makatakam. I've adjusted the brakes after reading advice on the forum... Moving them up to the first knot nearest the handles making them less sensitive?... With this advice and yours on slowly flying the kite downwards i was able/confident enough to make the kite glide inverted first to the left and then to the right..,!! I haven't smiled so much since I was s kid! 

When you move the bottom lines closer to the handle you adding/increasing the amount of brake = more sensitive. And that's what you want to do with a quad-line kite. It sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me and everyone else when we tell you that will give you better control of the kite. I fly with so much brake that even experienced flyers say it is too much. If you can fly with maximum brake settings, then you will be able to fly in winds so low others can't launch and stay airborne in. Any questions that come to you, ask them here and we will try to help. We want you to succeed!

A simplification of the explanation of the increased brake setting may be that you are essentially setting your sportwing to be in a stall, barely flying enough to support the kite's & it lines weight.  Then any change of holding the handles or pulling on the lines directs your kite to move according to the intention of your input.  It is a popular style of flying.