Reflex RX wind range

dpgsam

Question

There's no venting options for the Reflex Rx, and the manufacturer recommendation lists:

Revolution Reflex RX Stunt Kite Specifications:

Wind Range: 0-14 MPH
Frame: Rev Carbon fiber 5/16″ Reflex

While that sounds like an insane wind range, what happens to this sail in 16-24mph winds?

Can I still fly it without any risk of breakages? Compromise sail stretch?

Is the Spider the only alternative?

Can I buy and use old frame sets? Not 5/16 rods?

Thanks in advance for your speedy response!

3 answers to this question

Hi, dpgsam.

The stated wind range is what an experienced pilot can fly it in. If you're just beginning to fly quads, shave 3-4 mph off of each end of the range. Until you have a hundred hours of flying experience (depending on how often you fly and how quickly you pick up on it) you probably won't be able to keep it in the air at the lower end and it will be quite difficult to fly with any control at the upper end. At 16-24 mph the sail will definitely stretch over time. This will not ruin the sail by any means. It will only give a little bit different flight characteristics to which most experienced flyers can easily adjust. It doesn't make it worse, just different. Even an experienced flyer will have control issues above 14 mph, hence the recommended range.

If you make the wrong move at the wrong time, at any wind speed, it is possible to break the kite, either frame, sail, or both. The odds of breakage increase with wind speed and top end speed of the kite. The faster you go, the more it hurts when you hit the ground, or with whatever you manage to make contact. Don't worry about it. Almost everyone will have a mishap sooner or later. Sail stretch is something you can't avoid. It will happen eventually with all kites. Repeated gusts of wind pressure on the sail, sun, rain, dew, playing in the water, repeated folding and rolling when packing up and/or setting up, high temperature, low temperature, humidity and handling all contribute to sail stretch. Polyester ripstop is cloth after all, and in time will wear like any type of cloth does. Again, it's not something to worry about. You will get hundreds of hours of fun before it happens, and the kite will still be flyable.

As far as alternatives go -- well, it gets complicated. For very many years, the B-Series was the go-to kite for most flyers who continued to fly regularly, and the B-Pro Series was the high-end go-to for those who really got into it. Both were available in standard, mid-vent, and full-vent sails, with an additional extra-vent available in the B-pro. Neither of these is in production any longer. I have 14 Revs of assorted styles and sizes in my quiver that will last for a long time and cover all the wind conditions I will encounter, and, therefor,e have not really looked in any detail at what is currently available. You can check the Rev website for what is available now, or with any of the kite shops in the country for any remaining stock of B-Series sails. The B-Pros were custom-made, so it is not likely that you will find any available. I'm sure others will chime in here with recommendations regarding what the company has in production at this time.

The only thing you have to know about frame set interchangeability is that all are interchangeable within like sail size. There three sail sizes Rev I, 1.5, and II, with the Rev I being the largest, the Rev II the smallest, and the 1.5 falling in between. The first Reflex made is the only exception. Again, if you're not sure about any of this, ask here. Rev has made some "specialty" kites for a few flyers over the years that will vary from regular production sails, but it is not likely that you will see any of these on the used market any time soon. They would be the only variations in what frames will fit. The SLE leading edge may not fit into some of the newer models, but it is seldom used except in the Speed Series kites.

Not as speedy a reply as you would have liked, I'm sure, but thank you. Remember, even though it's a lot more complicated than a kids' diamond kite, it's not rocket science.

Have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- The people I've talked to who have Spider sails do like them.

• Like 1

Makatakam thank you for that solid detailed reply!!

Helps me a lot as I shop for my first Rev !

I'm aware of the B-series you mentioned. They are now sold as the "Classic with Reflex" on the Rev website.

However, for just a little more dollars I could get the Reflex Rx I asked about in the post above. Furthermore, I'm more in love with the design and colors of that sail compared to the Classic/B-series. Hence the questions above, as Classic is listed for a greater wind range and even changes info if selected Standard or Vented sail options at the menu.

I am just worried that as it looks from the few photos on the website, the Rx is a standard sail and so might be too limiting on my wind conditions here.

The spider vented variant is even more dollars and even less ripstop material for a fragile sail, so I'm eyeing the Rx or XX only for now.

Thanks for the reply though !!

If you think that you will flying more seriously than just a passing fad, go with a standard sail that has vented versions available in that model, unless you don't really care if they match each other in appearance. As I mentioned, I'm not very familiar with the newer models, but I'm absolutely sure that if you stay with it you will acquire more sails. A standard sail will teach you control quicker than a vented sail simply because a vented sail is smoother in flight. There is no "one size fits all wind conditions" kite, so unless the average wind speed in your area is above 10mph, start with a standard sail. A lot of people start with a used kite so they don't have to worry about beating it up as they learn. Check with the flyers in your area, or give Lolly a call at Revolution Kites. Don't worry too much about making the right choice. Your preferences will change as you develop your own style and there's a very good chance that whatever you start with will not be your go-to kite in the long run. Ideally, you should fly other people's kites for a couple of years before you buy your first one, but 99% of the time that's not possible, and honestly, even I wouldn't want to wait that long before having my own.

Easiest way to do it is to get your favorites down to two choices and flip a coin. If you really stay with it you will expand your collection. If not, you will be able to fly in the wind range of the one you have.