Rev 1.5 Classic

monkey

Hey there, pending getting some official info from Revolution regarding KTAI this year,  this is just a quick update on new kites for 2017. I"ll add pictures to this post once I get permission from John Chilese to post them here.

The 1.5 sized Reflex is now done and ready for ordering. Basically the same tweaks (and a couple of new ones) as the original Reflex, just shrunken down in size to the 1.5 form factor. I've had one since before Christmas but, I haven't had a chance to fly it yet and it's driving me kinda crazy. No really. I do promise to write about it once I DO get it out for a fly.

There's also a very vented version of the 1.5 Reflex as well, which has been referred to as the Spider. There's been a few videos of the Hadzickis testing it outside the shop, with a pickup truck. :D

And finally, the Rev 1.5 Classic to help people when they want the true 1.5 "thing". Nearly identical to the earlier ones from last year, with a few tweaks as well. Folded in leading edges like the pro, and a set of Reflex verticals as well as non sprung ones.

Judging by the pictures, there's also some pretty amazing Masterpiece kites available....

thanks everyone, more info as I get it.

Awesome, it was an excellent show, the new Rev's are pretty amazing.  They all have wear strips installed now too, the last picture there is the new end cap design for the Reflex. It is an insert that goes inside the rod and fits very snug and is much smaller than the caps were. 

As mentioned above, all the new models have the Reflex technology (reflexology??), even the EXP.  Of course you can just add the older style rods to make them like the older design (no reflex effect) but once you get use to how the Reflex works I think you will prefer it all the time.  The edge control is amazing and the float is way awesome too.  When loaded the sail performs just like the old design with all the precision and speed.

Thanks for putting up the pics Monkey!  You gotta get your Reflex out and try it, I think you will be amazed.

Just to clarify as well, the Reflex is a bit larger in size than the 1.5.  The 1.5 Reflex is the same size as the Classic/1.5/EXP and New York MInute.  All rods are interchangeable with the 1.5 Reflex, the full sail Reflex has it's own special Reflex rods.

P.S.  I also have much more information on Club38 which I will put up in a bit.

17 hours ago, monkey said:

I'e flown and adored my full size Reflex quite a bit, nothing beats it in low wind! The Kite Collective did killer demos in 2mph with them when everything else was struggling.

and you don't even carry your Zen?  Want to swap a full size original reflex in exchange for an unused kite hiding in the back of the closet?  I can assure you, that Zen will get some airtime with me.  My 1st and 2nd Zens are sorely in need of trade-in, heck even the 3rd one feels old now.

let me know Monkey

On 2/1/2017 at 7:01 PM, awindofchange said:

Awesome, it was an excellent show, the new Rev's are pretty amazing.  They all have wear strips installed now too, the last picture there is the new end cap design for the Reflex. It is an insert that goes inside the rod and fits very snug and is much smaller than the caps were. 

As mentioned above, all the new models have the Reflex technology (reflexology??), even the EXP.  Of course you can just add the older style rods to make them like the older design (no reflex effect) but once you get use to how the Reflex works I think you will prefer it all the time.  The edge control is amazing and the float is way awesome too.  When loaded the sail performs just like the old design with all the precision and speed.

Thanks for putting up the pics Monkey!  You gotta get your Reflex out and try it, I think you will be amazed.

Just to clarify as well, the Reflex is a bit larger in size than the 1.5.  The 1.5 Reflex is the same size as the Classic/1.5/EXP and New York MInute.  All rods are interchangeable with the 1.5 Reflex, the full sail Reflex has it's own special Reflex rods.

P.S.  I also have much more information on Club38 which I will put up in a bit.

I'd like to recommend that the reinforcing patches be placed UNDER the leading edge sleeve's full length tube. After you've built one you should know the proper positioning.  Why have the stiff dacron edge sticking up at each patch?  Know what?  I've snagged it a couple of times already!  I will have to paint the edges with nail polish to make a smooth transition.  This is the difference between stock and a custom(ized) kite.  Little tiny details that really matter if you push the product hard.  Should this difference cost extra?  No!, just change the sequence of pieces being assembled.  How about a little tiny "belt-loop" sewn over the knots on the bottom elastic (so you can flick the kite inside-out "flick-flak")  That is not reinventing the wheel, but now you can do more with the kite and not face a tangle and impact with mother earth.  I've been asking for this modification for the better part of a decade.  It isn't costly or time consuming and really makes a difference.  sure you could cover those knots with electrical tape on the day of your big show, or slap on magic sticks

I'm really liking the new 1.5 Reflex(s), but the reason I gave up making kites myself is because Rev brought in some master class builders (Shook and Bazzer) who would do what was necessary to take great into perfection.  I don't want to make kites, but I can't just give up on my expectations either.  I'm hoping to raise the bar slightly on the tiny details and still buy factory fresh.  Ideally, I'd like to see the reflex spring mechanism "removable" too, for storage and transportation, so I don't have to carry a bunch of map-tube styled cases in my kite bag.

-plm

11 hours ago, REVflyer said:

I'd like to recommend that the reinforcing patches be placed UNDER the leading edge sleeve's full length tube. After you've built one you should know the proper positioning.  Why have the stiff dacron edge sticking up at each patch?  Know what?  I've snagged it a couple of times already!  I will have to paint the edges with nail polish to make a smooth transition.

Not sure what you are referring to, can you clarify a little?  The leading edge end reinforcement patches are sewn under the leading edge tube on the new models. Also, the end of the leading edges are now folded over and sewn inside so there is no longer the fraying issue that use to happen on the older models.

le-closeup.jpg

Got a feeling it has to do with the vertical's wear strip at the top. Not sure a "belt loop" style over the LE piece is needed, maybe just strips to protect the LE mesh from the vertical rod? Just my guess as to what he is getting at. :mellow:

The "belt loop" vertical strip represents just another possible snag point if you do things like axels.

5 hours ago, portlandflyer said:

Got a feeling it has to do with the vertical's wear strip at the top. Not sure a "belt loop" style over the LE piece is needed, maybe just strips to protect the LE mesh from the vertical rod? Just my guess as to what he is getting at. :mellow:

The "belt loop" vertical strip represents just another possible snag point if you do things like axels.

Not if it's inside the LE sleeve.

41 minutes ago, portlandflyer said:

Then it becomes another place to hang up your rods on swapping!

Yep. Perhaps we should just get back to the basics of kites. Build it to fly the best it can and that's it. If you want improvements and modifications go ahead and make them yourself. If all the improvements and modifications that some people want and need were all put on the same kite it would be too heavy to fly. But it would sure be durable. I say let it wear out and be replaced or repaired, but let it fly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, awindofchange said:

Not sure what you are referring to, can you clarify a little?  The leading edge end reinforcement patches are sewn under the leading edge tube on the new models. Also, the end of the leading edges are now folded over and sewn inside so there is no longer the fraying issue that use to happen on the older models.

le-closeup.jpg

covers over the knots, so you can't sang a flying line if you flipped the kite inside out (Flick-flak).  Maybe even "capturing" the spar so it can't jump over the knots! (see pix of Zen)

My Reflex has the corner reinforcing patches sewn OVER the leading edge sleeve material and sticking up in the way, such that something like nail polish must be painted over the edges to equalize, level and keep it slippery.  My kites are beat hard and ground work is often a part of it.  I don't want to untangle it by walking down there, I want to yank and spank until it recovers from the handles. any portential catch point is something to address, but I'd rather buy it with that little crap done already.  A patch at the folds of the leading edge keeps the kite from ripping away at the mesh.  You are showing concern for the customer by offering a great product with high durability.  They put the time and care into the kevlar patch at the bottom of the "Vee, right?  Why?  Because that is a high stress area.  They'd sell more kites without it, they'd wear-out faster and maybe with severe abuse they rip in half right away.  Not asking to invent the wheel, just make it a little easier to roll and to last longer.

knot cvrs:Zen.jpg

• Like 1