Wildwoods International Kite Festival 2015

Hi Everyone!

I hope this initial communication finds you and yours all well and surviving the winter as best you can. I’m quite sure most of us are very happy to finally be seeing a little bit of warm weather – I never thought I’d consider 40 degrees a heat wave!

So, it’s that time of year again when I begin communications re the Wildwoods International Kite Festival with this year marking the 30th anniversary! The registration form is almost complete and will be available on the Sky Festivals and Eastern League web sites within the next week or two.

This year’s looking very strong, with some guests who haven’t been around in a while and it seems there's been some interest with folks posting in the 2014 events' comments already for 2015 - yeah and thank you!

Our host hotel, The Oceanic, 609 522 6500, is accepting reservations for the event though be sure to mention the kite festival to receive the event pricing.

Mark your calendars for this year’s event and I truly look forward to seeing everyone again in just two short months!

Warmly,

Beatrix

So psyched for #30! I told Marc last year that there was no way I was missing this anniversary, even if I did an international trip early in the year (that's what derailed me from coming the past two years).

Count me in...

It's a Thursday thru Tuesday show for the two pauls

(Paul Dugard and Paul LaMasters), 05/21/2015 to 05/26/2015

see ya' then, I hope

PS: All the sport kiting activities are compressed into a single day (on Saturday & no precision events are being offered at all)

GOOD!, I can finally focus unseating my friend & adversary Dennis Smith in MMB

another fun kite time with friends planned for,... as my wife said recently "Are you going to be home for ANY of the federal kiting holidays this year hon?"

Wildwood activities (located at Cape May and she'd be there), such as it is though, I'll be with Dugard and the gang instead of my Barbara

Hi folks,

Oh my gosh, thank whomever, spring has sprung!

With WIKF only eight (8) short weeks away, there’s a boat load of things to share with you!

Guests: We have some wonderful folks joining us this year. Characters includes once again Meg Albers & her cousin Nancy Houston; our Canadian friends Gary Mark, Walter Corsetti and Kevn Reynolds and Revolution’s sponsored team, 180Go!. I truly just can’t wait until WIKF to see these folks, they’re a true asset with terrific personalities! Yup, we’re going to have some fun!

SJKF: The true “rock” club of the event, SJKF will once again host the Friday Night Social poolside at the host hotel, the Oceanic. The cost is a mere $10 per person for an all-you-can-eat buffet filled with some of the best food this side of the Mississippi. Festivities begin at 6:00pm. PLEASE FEEL FREE < J > to help them out with food donations and / or assistance prior to 6:00pm with food prep, table set up, food/cookware transportation, etc. There is an enormous amount of work that goes in to making this Social happen so if you can spare even just a short period of time during the day on Friday, it would very, very much appreciated. Cel Dallmer is spearheading this festivity and she can be reached via mobile phone at 215 805 7498 or via email at [email protected] with your commitment to food donation and/or to time in assisting.

Kite Makers Competition: The Scott E. Spenser Memorial Wildwoods Kite Makers Competition is once again ablaze! Via the generosity of SJKF, the Kite Makers Competition will include cash prizes and AKA membership! There are varied categories and a myriad of details about the Competition which all can be found on the WIKF Registration Form (available on our web site, www.SkyFestivals.com > Events). Be sure to check out this info and more importantly, “strut you stuff” by showing yourself and the kiting world what you’re made of!

Lodging: Don’t forget to make your lodging reservations! Our host hotel is once again The Oceanic. You may reach them at 609 522 6500 and be sure to mention you’re a kite flyer / attending WIKF for a discounted rate.

Some Other Stuff: Our very own Roger Chewning is back and has gotten the bug to be a bit more involved in the event again. Roger’s looking into some great communication options (which I know sounds a bit vague at the moment) but hold tight, I should have something more to share on this in my next post.

Auction: This year’s auction is once again shaping up. I’d like to ask that you remember that the auction supports maintenance of keeping this EVENT alive, and even more so now that one of our two sponsors has completely decided not to participate, so please, support the auction; it would be a wonderful thing to see this event continue and quite sad if it didn’t. As always, if you have an item or items you’d like to donate, we are more than happy to accept them. Whether you donate or bid, we sincerely appreciate your support!

I’ll post again in a couple of weeks with additional info so until then, safe winds to all and as always, I so very much look forward to seeing you all in a few short weeks!

Warmly,

Beatrix

• 3 weeks later...

In other words Paul, the Dennis Smith Champion's bag pickup/drop off point is where we will find you waiting patiently for Mr Smiths arrival!

Oh come on now.........I haven't been here in a long time. Hey pal.....I'm coming in with new music of which I haven't practiced to yet. I'll be winging it at MASKC. I've been been getting back into dual. Dual's been hurting for flyers. Going to bring some old school flying back in. Oh also new music for Parkway South also. And we know how often we practice. With Willoughby the globe trotter.

Now my Plug:

Jack Wilson and I have taken the reigns of running ECSKC. I know you folks would rather fly with each other in team formations than compete. I get it. But........we are dying out there. We need you to come ver for a brief moment and compete. Because without flyers we're going down. Jared and Will were ready to bag the whole event. Rather than see ECSKC die we jumped in. The reason we are doing everything in one day is to give everyone a chance to play the other day. So think about coming over and help us out. fly, judge. Who else is qualified to judge quad line but quad line flyers.........That way you can actually see Paul is a way better flyer than me. He flys with thumbs....I don't..... He flails......I don't....... who looks better.. him.....not me............Then again I do have a blue kite................

The Smith is offering excuses on a performance? Maybe the completely dominate reign of all blue kites is finally OVER?

I'd be happy to compete Dennis, all of us packed into one day, that's an excellent idea & how can I help you and Jack to make it happen? (besides physical labor!)

Last time you were defeated by me was 2004 on Jockey's Ridge. I believe the winds were a steady 28 with gusts to 35 mph for 3 days and two nights back then. "I see you have learned how to back-up Paul"

So this weekend I snuck one by my ole buddy. Oh how he'll strive to undue that damage thru repetition. Based upon passed experiences, I will be getting his luggage again for the next decade too!

-plm

it's not how well you fly, it's how hard you are willing to work on a demo or comp's performance. Only in very rare instances does the soul-flier up-end those with a planned routine, the stars and planets need to align, wind must be extra fickle too!

• Like 1

Two and a half weeks and counting!

New this year! The ECSKC has a new format whereby they’ll feature a reduced slate of disciplines in exchange for more “play time” at the festival. Eliminated are the precision events and on tap are the ballet events, which will all take place on Saturday.

A special thanks to Jared Haworth for coordinating this effort (of course, along with the team of sport kite folks) and for his always contributions to making this event work at Wildwood; to Will Smoot for being Jared’s equal side kick; and to Dennis Smith and Jack Wilson who will take over the throne in spearheading this aspect of the festival on site! And thanks also for the folks who come out to fly and compete for the ECSKC – let’s see if we can get some more folks off of the boardwalk this year and involved in sport kite!

Registration: Whether you’re competing in the ECSKC, part of the Op’s team, or attending to fly for fun, please remember to complete a Registration Form and get it to me no later than THIS UPCOMING Saturday, May 9. Registrations received on or before that date do not incur the $10 on site registration fee.

Media: This year will include some great media opportunities. Our very own Roger Chewning has initiated the “Wildwoods International Kite Festival” official Facebook page – why not look it up and join for all fun things WIKF related. Roger’s on a campaign for the events 30th Anniversary and is looking for photos from “back in the day” to post. Thank you Roger for your continued positive energy and push to keep WIKF vibrant and alive!

There will also be various television and radio coverage throughout the event as well.

Friday Night! Don’t forget to participate in all things for the SJKF Friday Night Social. As always, the club is putting on a spectacular buffet at an extremely reasonable price AND, it’s all you can eat – who can pass up an offer like that – food and great camaraderie! Following of course is the Friday Night Kite Fly – show the dark sky and the folks walking the boardwalk your best illuminated kite(s)!

Sunday Night Dinner We’d love you to join us on Sunday night for dinner! Once again we’ll be at Little Italy in Wildwood Crest, a short five block walk from the hotel. Again, fabulous food, great conversation, and a room basically all to ourselves. Be sure to include yourself in this gathering by indicating such on your Registration Form and/or at the tent on the sign up sheet.

Well, that’s it for now, we’ll see you in two and a half weeks and we all can’t wait to party and celebrate WIKF’s 30th Anniversary!

• Like 1