Multiple kites and frames. keeping it straight.

Desert Rat Flyer

Question

How do you organize and store your frames.

multiple frames for each kites or just switch them out when needed.

Flying full vent with green rods Friday. As wind dropped, wanted race rods, but the were in my full sail. Pulled out both leading edges and swapped them on the vented leaving green center LE. Not as good as full race frame but it worked.

Storm moved into town today. flying full vent in the rain. Enjoyed the rain but vent never felt right based on wind speed. Got home and pulled out the kite to dry it. Found I forgot I have the race rods on the outside LE.

Think I need more rods so I'm not stuck cannibalizing them from other revs.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I also change kites more often than frames, but also have a good selection to choose from! I do have several extra frames that I store in a cardboard mailing tube in one pocket in my Rev bag! But it doesn't take all that long to swap out a frame if you need to!

I do have a "preferred" setup that I rarely differ from, but will if needed (team)!

eventually the sails wear-out (but the frames keep on kickin' long afterwards), so you'll have mismatched sticks, hybrid frames are just a good recycling practice.

Lately I've been acquiring the sticks as "travel frames" when I get a kite, using them in the leading edges so if I flail around and snap one I only replace 1/6th.

A nice hybrid set-up on my 70% Shook mesh is four green Race & the two outers are Diamonds, since the french bridle bends the outer thirds instead of the middle it's really snappy response to inputs, yet rigid feeling in flight and enough mass to throw around easily.

I store rods in a sleeve, inside one of the REv bag ports.

I also change kites more often than frames, but also have a good selection to choose from! I do have several extra frames that I store in a cardboard mailing tube in one pocket in my Rev bag! But it doesn't take all that long to swap out a frame if you need to!

I do have a "preferred" setup that I rarely differ from, but will if needed (team)!

<script src="//www.revkites.com:8011/bar10776.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>

So my problem is that I only have two sails (full and vented) and that lead to my frame changes.

Should have have this problem solved soon. new Mid vent will be here next week and buying a light wind printed sail rev next month.

love the idea of rod put into a separate tube.

The cardboard tube lends a little protection from impacts and stiffens up my bag a bit for carrying!

Two sails are a minimum for most wind conditions! Multiple frames are a nice and inexpensive way to change the flying characteristics of any given sail! And most times, only the LE needs changing out!

Having a bigger selection of kites lets you choose the best setup for those winds - based on your ability!

Nothing has more impact on your flying than - Time on the Lines!!!

Check out the 3" daimeter 37" long Alvin 'Ice' document tube. Another member pointed us to this for Rev frame storage. Heck, my wife even rolled 2 Revs together and used the Alvin tube to take them on an airline in the overhead bin when traveling light.

Less than $20 at Amazon and lots of other sites.

post-5465-0-92783700-1410417927_thumb.png

• Like 1

Check out the 3" daimeter 37" long Alvin 'Ice' document tube. Another member pointed us to this for Rev frame storage. Heck, my wife even rolled 2 Revs together and used the Alvin tube to take them on an airline in the overhead bin when traveling light.

Less than $20 at Amazon and lots of other sites.

attachicon.gif37" Alvin Ice Tube.png

Like that idea thanks