Wildwoods International Kite Festival 2014

Another great festival and this one is because my son Ethan was there loving every minute he learned on a dual line and finally a rev today within 2 hours he has been flying very well I have to say this was the best weekend ever and It is because after all the great fliers I've flown and met nothing can take away the feeling of being out there flying with my son he loves you all and loves being a member of our family

• Like 3

I also enjoyed myself pretty much the entire time, decent wind, crowds and great friends, (both old & new). We shared the wind and a few laughs along the way. Dennis and Lisa wailed on me, in the only event I cared about (MMB). Forgot I even registered for the indoor event and took 2nd place there behind Jeff King. Test flew a new indoor/outdoor prototype Ben was referring to as the "Helium". It's was everything we hoped for, no need to reprogram your brain, (just like switching golf clubs). It was a new material for the fabric (translucent white, nearly transparent) but can still be sewn and new frame, but used the 1.5 sized platform and a bridle, so it felt right immediately.

Mostly, I was just impressed with how well some folks can fly two revs at once. Watching 6 kites and three pilots is an amazing demonstration of quad-lined mastery!

We made some more flailers, visiting from up north in Canada. One gentlemen even approached me for a specific lesson on the flick-flak. He only knew how to fly all smooth and graceful (his exact words, honest!), but wanted to add a couple of tricks to his quiver. F-Fing is like walking the kite, once you are shown the technique and understand what action is necessary, you don't even need a verbal explanation if language barriers exist. A "falling leaf" is just an overdone Flick-flak, adding a quick step forward PLUS the flick-flak action, timed in unison.

Slapped a set of lights together that knocked my socks off too! One of the room-mates (Terry Rankin) had little LEDs that flashed on in 4 colors. Replaceable batteries, a very small package, but best of all, two parallel ridges spaced close together on the bottom. We used painters tape to affix onto the magic sticks, so the kite would have an elevated pulsing, backlighting source. Two units were mounted on each wing, assuming if it was too heavy we could half the weight on-site. Our primary concern was that the weight is mounted out at the end of the tube (by the end-cap), almost 16 inches from the kite/frame structure itself. How is that going to impact flight dynamics?

Well, it was present and feel-able, but not very influential. MAN-oh-man was it powerful in the night-sky visually. The lights stick up like bug's eyes, even when the kite is rolled into the string and laying flat on the ground! The whole sail is lit, back and front, there are powerful colored pulses shining thru. The darn thing looked amazing even sitting stationary, I couldn't get enough of it and I'm ordering a gross of 'em (4 per kite drives that number down quickly.) This rig is so light weight that I installed them the last night well before dark and just proceeded along with the group unencumbered! WE slammed the kite around and nothing quit blinking or fell off in 3 separate sessions.

Scott Weider once again inspires me to try new things. Next I'm to stake the kite down at the handles and roll the kite into the string, (twice) and then rotate the kite 180 degrees so the leading edge is now facing away from the handles. You want to make sure the flying lines fall inside of the training wheel stand-offs when rolling it too,...... that's why you walked down and set it up yourself! A big aggressive launch sequence and add some step(s) backward, it unrolls as a 720. I think I understand the action, but I'll probably try just one wrap first. Like everything else, it will look U-G-L-Y for quite awhile until perfected, but I can see adding this to my routine, since you set-it in advance.

See ya'll next year, for another stomp in the Woods.

• Like 3

Once Again, it was another awesome festival! I never fail to appreciate ALL of the wonderful fliers in my life, old friends and new! The best part of the festival for me was finally being able to fly WITH my friends this time! :ani_punk: While I'm not ready for primetime, I never fail to learn every time I'm in the sky with you all. Everyone who has been kind enough to take me under their wing has taught me something valuable and I always endeavor to take your advice! I am also deeply grateful to those who offered me a place to stay, and all those who had bought custom stakes from me… you entirely made my trip possible! THANK YOU! My only regret (and it's the same regret I have every time), is that I did not get to spend enough time with everyone. The weekend just flies by way too fast! Here's hoping we meet again on a field or beach SOON! :throb:

• Like 4

ok my buddy Terry has released the critical information on a great light, appropriate for kite flying. Extremely light weight and bright as heck, it even changes colors automatically!

We slapped 2 on each wing, affixed to the top end of the magic sticks so the kite would be backlit. These rigs are so light weight you didn't need to worry about the ability to stay airborne anymore. You don't even need to take 'em off during the daylight hours (but I would anyway) We flailed and impacted mother earth, all without dislodging 'em. Replaceable batteries, darn reasonably priced too

http://www.100candles.com/i-6049/RGB-Color-Changing-Floral-Lights

• Like 4

Paul - are they small enough to mount to the ends of an LE? Or at the bottom of a vertical rod? Would probably wedge them in between bunjii and rod, then tape to secure them. Any other suggestions?

I like that they change color automatically, just concerned on fit for a non - sticks user!

Wayne.... I used them in the same manner and work fine...

But with the sticks,each light projects about a 9" diameter light pattern on the sail. Way more dynamic than anything out there imho.

From the front spectacular. .from the rear (spectators) the whole sail is lit with a luminescent glow...almost worth getting some of those light poles :P

I had 6...normally only used 2..one on each wingtip. Never weighed..but a single led,wafer battery,and simple plastic housing...key chain sized light.

I'd probably use 4 - wingtips and bottom of verts. Just wanted to know about fit more than anything. Since you never know what sail to use til it's time, I'd need to get a bunch of stick kits or try moving one from kite to kite! Pain!! That's the reason for fitting on rods - no have to move stick set!

I'd probably use 4 - wingtips and bottom of verts. Just wanted to know about fit more than anything. Since you never know what sail to use til it's time, I'd need to get a bunch of stick kits or try moving one from kite to kite! Pain!! That's the reason for fitting on rods - no have to move stick set!

If you put them on a, say, B2 Std with sticks, you're good to about 25mph with the 2 frame....

...just saying.

Wayne,

we affixed these lights with rubber bands & blue painter's tape, so it's not going to be tough to adapt as necessary for specific applications. The sticks merely amplified the effects be separating the two surfaces significantly. Your way will work, it will just shine the light parallel with the sail as opposed to AT it from directly overhead, perpendicular.

Hi Rob,

As for mounting on a B2, I'd probably only hang one on each wing, less weight combined with less surface area to be illuminated. Man that thing wiggling all around will stop traffic for sure on pitch black night. You should probably pre-advise the local press, so they don't report strange UFO sightings in the newspaper the next morning!

These lights shine thru all sail colors but the more "white" in your sail the better the effect will be for two-sided viewing, obviously a Shook mesh looks incredible as the light moves thru the holes (at least from your perspective as the pilot) as well as the illuminating the fabric strips on both sides.

I have a few kites that are predominately white too, so WSIKF will get my best efforts. Fedex just advised that my 4 dozen lights are coming and almost everyone of my kites has sissy sticks, so at the very least borrow from me and lets RIDE after dark together!

these lights would be so easy to adapt to a dualie, the standoffs are already secure and the frame is what the lights would be butted up against for a more rigid structure. It will affect overall balance, but how much I'm not sure,..... more experiments to chase

• Like 1

Idk about that one. With the sail being lit...you lose the need for that brightness in my opinion. Being back-lit. .it was clearly visible as to the orientation of the kite.....unless you were doing some photography. .then the bright led would help.

Just my preference. .

Paul,

I ordered 3 sets to experiment with my existing light set. RGB for the psychedelic look, white, and amber (to match my existing set). I am hoping I will like the look of light mounted to the vertical spars +/- corners to add to the effect of my Jim Cox lights. Without the sticks the benefits will be limited, but maybe they will be worth the effort. If not, I will have some to share.

OK. I followed the link and ordered a set. I hope these work. I do worry about them staying snug, but if Paul insists they're good, then that's ok with me. Now I hope I can get enought nighttime wind to fly. The problem with flying in the middle of the continent is that the winds usually die down when the sun sets.

Jared Hayworth is a great addition to any kiting activity, his entire family in fact! Set-up (without the attitude!), he hustles all day long doing whatever is needed,..... photos, lessons, sherpa duties, plans the competitions for the Eastern League as the Commissioner.

For the Air & Space Museum indoor gig he brings their big ole flat screen TV (off of the wall and drives 8 hours), so we have a monitor for video playbacks in the lobby. He doesn't want to be involved with the cliques or politics, just sharing the joy. I include him as a dear friend.

AND

my lights are due today, Fedex says!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

fooled around a bunch with these lights, the hot set-up appears to be mounting 'em onto a Shook Mesh Masterpiece. The LEDs backlight the kite, but also show directly through the sail towards the flier. It's very visible from either the front or the back for the spectators. I'm only dragging one unit on each magic stick unless they're affixed to the zen, then the two pack per side rules. A mostly white sail maximizes the visual effect, honestly? they look pretty cool just sitting in a stationary hover or resting on the ground.

• Like 1

So, we're in the process of booking our condo for this year, saw this post came alive again. Getting psyched for this year ! We're going to have another family with us this year, so we have to find a bigger place. Kinda sad, because the place we've had the last few years had an awesome gameroom in the basement. Oh, well... looking forward to seeing you all out there in a few months !

• Like 2