Spectra Fishing Line vs Spectra Kite Line

KiteManFL

Has anyone ever flown their Rev on a Spectra fishing line? Is there any difference been a Spectra fishing line vs a Spectra kite line? Or is it just marketing? I have been told by someone who sells Spectra fishing line that many people fly with it. The price of Spectra fishing line is much less expensive and seems like the thing to use if it works well. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate their feedback.

Thanks

• Like 1

From what I have seen on the forum there are a number of negatives.

- The weave is different in that the fishing line stretches where the kite version doesn't.

- The color I hear is of such a nature that it is not easily seen on the ground.

- wear is another fault I heard somewhere.

-etc (there are more reasons which I don't recall)

Save yourself some grief and even money in the long run and buy good quality kite kines such as Shanti and LaserPro. Stay away from the cheap Spectra/Dynema kite lines often coming from China.

• Like 1

The line I saw was made in the USA. And it is not suppose to stretch.

The key words are "not suppose".

In actuality spectra/dynema kite lines will stretch, however is quite minute.

The fishing line in, comparison, will stretch quite a bit. As a fishing line that is not critical, however for stunt kite stretch is critical.

If you are satisfied with LaserPro stay with them. They are excellent.

• Like 1

I'll bet the 'lots of people fly on it' refers mostly to single line flying ... in which case you can fly on practically anything you like. When it comes to multi line, wraps and weaves .... that is a whole other ball game.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are TWO types of stretch...

Permanent stretch is where the line gets a little longer and longer over time and you have to equalise your lines. This is often called creep.

Temporary stretch can be thought of like a bungee cord that will stretch under load and then return to normal when the load subsides. This type of stretch would make any degree of precision difficult since the line is constantly changing length with each input and causing variance in the degree of input required.

Just my pre-morning-tea input, so your mileage may vary

• Like 1

One is designed to survive the shock of a striking fish, as well as the load of dragging that fighting creature thru water. The other is designed to wrap smoothly around itself with little friction and not change it's overall length.

You could use a garden trowel in a knife fight,... It is made of strong metal, has a cutting edge and a very comfortable handle

Buy the right stuff and never regret you decision!

• Like 1

Most people don't want to make lines... I ran into this recently. If done right..you can make LPG linesets at a savings by buying bulk. Yes..it is time consuming,finger knumbing,brain teasing...but it is a learning experience also that you can pass along. Buy a big roll of bulk line and make everyone you know line sets! It wont be much more moolah in the end.

some of us, (myself included) are occasionally delusional enough to assume we can do it better ourselves than acquiring those products through commercially available sources. With that said I have purchased perfect sets from both Cath and Teresa.

Which products do you want?

Cath has Skybond: It is super slippery, thinner diameter, but a softer hand. Teresa sells LaserPro which is more commonly used with most team quad fliers..., not as slippery, thicker too, but also much more like flying on wire. A direct connect? When you do 3D stuff, the LPG string doesn't pick-up debris as easily or tangle as quickly (or as tightly!)

I use both brands, depending on the circumstances presented and who's with me. I particularly like the 50# and 140# Skybond though for tough conditions (one's for each end of the wind range), but for seriously chasing spectators the line is 90#LPG, especially when throwing the kite all around with tons of slack in between movements.

Some of my linesets have sleeving, but only if I bought 'em that way.

When making my own lines that is just another darn thing to tangle-up which is eliminated by design. Use figure of eight knots, but first place a stopper knot into the single strand line before it's formed into the loop. Practice the figure of eight knot as it wants to tighten in both directions (towards the knot's center point) How do you predict where it will wind up? In fact you'll use a set of forceps to pinch the two strands together where you want the knot to be as a final location. When you practice tying this knot, you'll need to identify the two loops (which resemble an "8" on it's side when visually examined). You have to force one loop OVER the other half and pull out all of that accompanying slack back out (away from the locked point) so the knot positions itself against the forcep jaws as a final position when tight. This isn't easy, you'll have to wiggle and work it, so practice.

When you make linesets without sleeving you need a BIGger loop than with sleeving, as any adjustments will be made by shortening the longest line (by adding in still more knots). With sleeving you can untie, that won't work w/o it!

• Like 2

If LPG was any good for fishing, people would use it for that purpose. Vice versa applies to this situation. The physical weave of the two lines is different enough to make each less desirable for the other purpose, with one exception. I would definitely use LPG as backing for fly fishing line, especially if the fly line is a shooting taper.

• 7 months later...

I can add that I have tried it just to try it and it does not work that well when the lines start to wrap. I can say that in an emergency situation my son broke the bridle on his Prism Quantum and I through together a bridle for him out of 200 lb fishing braid. I was actually amazed at how well it worked as a bridle. When his new bridle came in he didnt want me to change it as he kite seemed to be more precise. It may have been a fluke but it was worth mentioning.