New York Minute Is Alive

beach

• 1 month later...

Hi, Mitch, and welcome to the forum.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels "softer". Really can't describe it more accurately. Best way to do it is try one. Compared to an SLE, it feels lighter, smoother and quicker, but has all the precision you have become accustomed to. Normal frame set is green race rods, but you can get with whatever you prefer. The full sail handles a little bit less wind quite nicely, and with diamond rods in it should fly in next to nothing.

Also check out the Revolution Kites forum, as well as IKE (Illinois Kite Enthusiasts). IKE is also the home of team 180GO!

Get out to some festivals and try one. There are many Rev kiters who have the NYM, and you can try one before you buy. Best way to find out is to give it a test drive.

I have the full sail NYM and really like it. Very smooth and responsive. The sail pattern ( I have red) looks great in the sky. Mitch, I realize you asked for a comparison, but I just couldn't resist jumping in here and doing a bit of the happy dance mf_party.gif

• 1 year later...

I just got myself a NYM (standard), and I know I may be in the back of the bus, but better late than never.

I got the Green Race Rods, and the 3 wrap rods with the kite, and my main question is how much flex or bow can the Green Race Rods take?

I fly my Revolution B Series with Black Race Rods in about the same wind, and don't get the flex or bow I get from the Green Race Rods, and was wondering if the flex or bow of the kite effects its flight ability, and how much is a bad thing.

When should I be switching to a stiffer rod in higher wind or is there a learning curve to the Green Race Rods, maybe I should be using more brake?

I was one of the testers of the Green Race Rod before they went on the market.

I tried practically everything to break them in flight without success.

The only instance I know of them breaking was underwater flying by Rich.

I suspect you could break one by ramming it into to a sizable rock on the ground.

Yes, they are tough.

My experience on comparing the black to green is that the black flexes more and it is lighter thus good for lighter winds.

Others may have other experiences.

Yep - they'll bow, but not so much to break. All the race rods have a bit more flex than any "wrap" rod, but like John said, they are just about indestructible. I use my set almost exclusively in my X/V with no issues at all.

Really you have 2 sets that are almost equal in strength, just different in flex.

What "B" model do you have? I ask because unless you really love the graphic, I would get something I didn't have (mid, F/V), before I got another standard. Increases your ability to adjust based on winds. IMHO!

Yep - they'll bow, but not so much to break. All the race rods have a bit more flex than any "wrap" rod, but like John said, they are just about indestructible. I use my set almost exclusively in my X/V with no issues at all.

Really you have 2 sets that are almost equal in strength, just different in flex.

What "B" model do you have? I ask because unless you really love the graphic, I would get something I didn't have (mid, F/V), before I got another standard. Increases your ability to adjust based on winds. IMHO!

This is my "B" from TKC

27.JPG

I want to get his pattern in mid, and full vent next as I really like this style.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Black race rods were originally designed for the strength of 3 wraps and weight of 2s,  (with a flex in-between a crossbow to an english long bow)

generally used in a mid vent or full sailed kites

The green Race coating was added and offered for sale to toughen 'em up even more,... they were' affectionately called Rich Race Rods because Rich Comras would try to break them underwater!

generally used in a mid-vented sail or higher-ended wind range 

With more experience you can try mixing the tubes to place more or less flex as desired w/i threading edge.