Street line length

Robtulloch

it all depends on your location requirements, you need room to move (kite & yourself) and a safe place to land. I have 60 feet, down to less than 10, depending on where I'm to be positioned. I also prefer thicker lines like 90# (or 100#) because it tangles less and it's more responsive than the thinner stuff. I'd rather change something else than the lines to save a quarter of a gram's flying weight.

• Like 1

The standard I've set for street or urban flying is 30'... Long enough to fly "track" (shapes, etc) but short enough to tow it around 360s and stay connected with line tension.

12'-15' is more tailored to indoor due to the low overheads, but really cuts down the "window" in terms of demonstrating shapes, etc.

• Like 3

Street/Urban kiting would be flying in urban locations. This usually means that you would be in areas where both the surrounding is obstructed (surrounded by buildings) and the flying area is obstructed (benches, posts, fountains, etc..). I would say that street kiting is most characterized by putting a kite where a kite probably ought not to be.

....not where "not to be" just where is hasn't been yet!
  • Like 4

I'm also a 30' guy ... like JB said, big enough to fly shapes or patterns, but short enough to get the job done.

My exception (space not withstanding) is that horrible circumstance where the 'wind' is constantly shifting directions (usually breathing back and forth with gusts from random directions in between) and I need to be able to do a 180 (horizontal or up and over) in a heartbeat because I'm suddenly on the wrong side of the window. In this case I am currently developing my skills on 12' lines, but my intention is to be able to stretch back out to 30' lines.

The two instances where I think 12' works are near zero wind (check Youtube for JB rev'ing it in Singapore) and/or when you interact with the environment to make it interesting (check Youtube for JB in the UK).

A good contrast can be seen in Watty's 'Friendly Neighbourhood Street Flyer' video

• Like 2