How do I get the whole leading edge out?

KiteLife

Question

So, iQuad had a kite washing day in Victoria a couple months ago and decided to take all the spars out of 32 Revs, rinse everything and hang dry it...

Well, that works out to 32 leading edges, or 96 spars we had to pull. :kid_frustrated:

I'm sure most of us have had, or still have the delightful experience of trying to work that blasted center leading edge spar out of the kite... Maybe we got lucky and got the whole thing, but not often.

We found a really easy way to do it...

1. Take out the verticals and set them aside.

2. Un cap both wing tips.

3. Hold one wing tip, by the spar only.

4. Let the weight of the kite naturally flex the other end of the leading edge downward.

5. Gently pull the spar in your hand slightly downward and out of the kite.

What this does is create [a safe amount of] flex in the whole leading edge, effectively tightening the ferrules (while at that angle) and greatly lessening the chances that any of the spars will come apart before they're all out.

For us, with some practice behind us now, this works nearly 100% of the time.

Anyway, a simple goodie... But one that was quite an epiphany for us. :kid_content:

10 answers to this question

When I change out leading edge spars for a different strength spar, I do it with kite already assembled, and connected to the flying lines. I slide out one L.E. tip spar, then I use the spars that I will be using to push out the two L.E. remaining spars.

you can slide the one your putting in to the one your putting out too... simple push the new ro to the old one and the end will slidw out repeat with the other 2 [parts and within seconds you have a frame change without even untieing your lines

Just a note to this, be carefull when pushing a SLE out with a 1/4 LE, the 1/4LE can slip inside the SLE, and it happens the other way round SLE over the 1/4, it can be a pain to get out again,not that I did that!!!! :wub:

Good note Jade.

Remember also, it's best to put a 5-10 degree bend in the leading edge where the new leading edge butts up to the old one, as you carefully push them through.

This will keep them from being parallel, and lessen the likelihood of one slipping inside the other. ;)

i have found that if you also hole the kite up wards like in a tip stand toy can slode the whole 3 piece set right out without takeing nothing apart.. i have done this for quite a while now and have found it to be the eaziest way to do a LE change while on the beach or field.. however im going to try this method of yours too john and see how i like it

We use both methods on the team, depending on where we are and what the wind is like. ;)

In high winds, I find it's easier to do the "push through" method.

In lighter winds where the sail isn't blowing around, I prefer the one shot LE removal.

By now we all have B Series kites and Extra Rods around... :kid_smartass:

Take the Center Spar of a B Series with the Ferrels on Both ends.

And Put that BETWEEN the rod coming out and the New Rod going in..

It makes one Long Rod and There is no way it can get side by side or ever leave

one rod inside the leading edge...

Walk Backwards and and Slide the kite over the Spars...

I cannot take credit for the Idea...

My Buddy Bob (NewRever) Came up with that one.... :kid_content: