Short Lines in Moderate winds for Tight Spaces

West Australian

Question

Hi All,

I have been wandering around with Rev's in my vision...

Loking at places and Judging their worthiness for Flying.

I have a nice spot walking distance from my work. It is a fairly small area of grass, but I could use 40' lines.

I understand the use of Short lines in very light winds, but does anyone regularly fly in moderate to strong winds on short lines?

FWIW ... I simply LOVE my short lines for solo work and interacting with people.

With the exception of my indoors, I've flown every Rev on 50' lines (incl the big ones like the Blast 2-4, Zen and the B2 stack) and every non-power Rev on the 30' lines.

Hell, I even on 20, 12, 10, 8 and 5' lines ... and yes, I've had a 1.5 outdoors on the 5' lines (once) before ;)

I really enjoy short lines and tight spaces for some reason......cat_evil.gif I seem to come into my own

when I have the kite on short lines and there's a crowd around me, but with that said remember

to have the skills to recover in any situation cause we never want anyone one to get hurt.......

I think short line flying is a skill level that takes the kites in to a whole new playing field and lets

the people get there hands almost on it......cat_shifty.gif Benani_victory.gifani_victory.gifani_victory.gif

post-35-0-39426300-1360863696_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the comments guys, where do I start....

I see a few of you say you prefer the shorter lines, is this still true for bigger spaces?

Or do you seek out the smaller secret spots?

kwmf: you have a lot of line sets Bro. Where the 5' lines an experiment? it must be interesting having the Rev so close.

Beach: Thats sounds great, Awesome Pic too.

stroke survivor: Dont you just love discovering something new.

I have some Dual lines from my first Dual line Power Foil, they are 300' long. They were a hassle for set up and pack up.

The 5, 8, 10 and 12' lines are for my indoors ... but they can be used outdoors for street flying -

General rule of thumb for me, short lines are for low wind, solo, 3D, crowd interaction, smaller spaces or any combination of those factors. If I want include bigger figures, longer patterns (like monkey bars), etc but still want to keep to short lines then I use the 50' lines instead of the 30' ones.

• Like 1

I fly mostly on 50s . Easily my favorite line length. I love the direct control and lively response, with just enough range to be free. I think flying on short lines improves your flying and makes you use your imagination as you piece together moves in a limited window . The discovery that short lines are great fun in higher winds too really reinvigorated my flying. And as others have said short lines open up so many new possible flying sites. I think we all get a kinda thrill when attaching our lines on pastures new.

• Like 1

Forget to add some extra line to make up for your loops??

Ha ha ha....no. I chopped a 80' line set up and wanted the 50' set at 50'. The other came out less as a result. Honest. One thing though, the instructions I was following didn't say anything about using a lighter on the sleeving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out this week with West Australian and the wind died for a bit, so I pulled out my newly made up 30 footers (give or take a foot). Saddled up the good old EXP with a 2 frame and took it for a spin. WOW WOW WOW! Being up close and personal like that is a real buzz! Just working it around was great fun. I thought I'd have a crack at some 3D work. Now THAT is cool! Catch and throws on 30's now is one of my favorite things. Swapped set ups with Ian and had a go on his Std with #50 x 50's, after a bit of practice I got a couple to work on that as well. Great morning light wind flying all round!

Can't wait to try my B2 on these shorties!

• Like 4

Just wait until you have the skill and confidence to use the kite to (safely) interact with people on those 30' lines ;)

In the mean time, find something in your surroundings to practice with ... land on it, balance on it, cartwheel over it, slide past it, etc, etc

• Like 3

Just wait until you have the skill and confidence to use the kite to (safely) interact with people on those 30' lines ;)

In the mean time, find something in your surroundings to practice with ... land on it, balance on it, cartwheel over it, slide past it, etc, etc

Good advice, I'll do that.

Interacting with people at very close quarters requires absolute unwaivering control of your kite ... but it is SO worth the effort in getting to that point when you get the response from them.

I mainly do this on 30' and 50' lines, but I've done it out at 80' and 120' as well ... but the longer the lines the more you're removed from the interaction ... I like it when it's the victim volunteer, the kite AND me in the interaction.

• Like 3