WSIKF 2012 (REV FIELD)

KiteLife

Hi folks, just wanted to touch base since for the first time EVER, we (the Rev fliers) are being given FIELD B, directly on the south side of the main demonstration arena!! :D

In 2010, we were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at Sid Snyder, seemingly miles from the main event.

In 2011, we moved to field C (-ish) and found it was even worse, being squarely between both restrooms, with a lot of deep sand between here and there.

==

I've had a lot of discussion with some of the WSIKF folks...

The way I see it, the two largest (literal size and scale) "single attractions" on the beach are the large inflatables and the Rev teams, making the perfect north/south sandwich around the main demo field... Now thanks to the support of folks like Theresa Norelius, Scott Davis and a few others, we have the opportunity to be a full part of the show!

==

Since we're coming straight from Dieppe (Canada), the first iQuad members won't start arriving until Tuesday afternoon.

Of course, we now have *many* experienced leaders and fliers amongst the NW crew (and our visiting friends), you'll all be fine. :)

==

A few basic guidelines to be aware of:

• WSIKF organizers reserve the right to ask for field B to be cleared temporarily if they need the space to get an overflow event done, but it will be very rare (if at all) and they've assured me that we'll have 30-60 minutes notice beforehand... Regardless, fliers on field B should be prepared to move kites to the side for a quick tear down, even if it's on shorter notice - it'll be easy if we all cooperate. ;)
  • If you are a BRAND NEW flier on Revs, please feel free to ask for a bit of help from nearly anyone on the Rev field, but uncontrolled kites should be flown (safely) in the public flying areas... The key is that there will be so many Revs on the field, and regular team activities, the field needs to be fairly well organized.
  • Teams and individuals will occasionally be flying and walking over the line into the main field for demos, please be aware and assist them by holding the line down, etc.

==

Mega Teams at WSIKF:

At this point there are no plans to try for a new world record in the grid format this year, I'm thinking of trying to organize a new record fly of 100 or more in 2013 - stay tuned.

That being said...

You all saw the Rev Team Boot Camp exercise where three 6-person teams flew simultaneously?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45487178" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

What do you think of putting TEN six-person teams up at the same time, flying the same ballet, all over the beach, with one on center stage?

Basically like a "flash mob" of Rev team fliers... The public will think one team is coming on, but as the music starts, the beach comes alive with teams!

Getting folks up to speed on the routine would be the most challenging, but the possibility is there - post back here if you want to be involved. ;)

Rest easy, we'll obviously be seeing the usual grid and traditional mega team exercises throughout the week - no shortage for flying or education for anyone!

For a look at the skills necessary for this team routine, check out the Rev Team Boot Camp overview from July.

If you want to participate in the group fly of 6-person teams, please click here to send a PM to Bri Howard with:

1. An honest summary of your basic abilities on a Rev.

2. What dates you'll be attending WSIKF.

==

RevGuild, thanks for the support...

In case you missed the news somewhere, the RevGuild kite club is almost entirely phased out now...

Since the club had no overhead, membership dues were traditionally spent on pizza or sandwiches for the Rev fliers 1-2 times during WSIKF.

We plan to do the same again this year (maybe Wed/Fri), with any remaining balance from club accounts being donated directly to the World Kite Museum.

In all likelihood, it'll be Subway sandwiches... It's nearby, reasonably priced and we'll make sure to have some veggie option for non-carnivores.

==

Lots on my mind at the moment, I warmly encourage you to post back with your thoughts, ideas, excitement, or assistance...

Looking forward to your replies! ;)

Hi folks, just wanted to touch base since for the first time EVER, we (the Rev fliers) are being given FIELD B, directly on the south side of the main demonstration arena!!

<snip>

Mega Teams at WSIKF:

At this point there are no plans to try for a new world record in the grid format this year, I'm thinking of trying to organize a new record fly of 100 or more in 2013 - stay tuned.

<snip>

Looking forward to your replies!

Interested to know of your plans for 2013

Felix

Thanks for the info, getting Field B is fantastic news! Of course, now WSIKF can't come fast enough! If you need any help let me know. We're arriving on Sunday and staying all week (3 days just wasn't enough last year). I won't speak for everyone from the team clinic, but I'd be more than happy to help in bringing anyone who wants up to speed on the routine.

• Like 1

What do you think of putting TEN six-person teams up at the same time, flying the same ballet, all over the beach, with one on center stage?

Basically like a "flash mob" of Rev team fliers... The public will think one team is coming on, but as the music starts, the beach comes alive with teams!

Getting folks up to speed on the routine would be the most challenging, but the possibility is there - post back here if you want to be involved. ;)

The nice thing is that we have at least 21 people who already know this routine, and are capable of working with others if they feel inspired to do so. I think it is feasible to have a few teams up and running.

• Like 1

Interested to know of your plans for 2013

Nothing formulated yet Felix, but especially with 2013 being Revolution's 25th anniversary... Why not do something epic? blue_cool.gif

One way or another, I'd say it's safe for folks to start pre-planning their travel to Long Beach.

Wonderful news John. Putting kites down from time to time to accommodate the needs of other events should be no problem. Getting teams of six together to fly the Boot Camp Routine might be fun. No music of our own on field B, but there is most always music going on to which we can all fly. Team "Mystery Ballets" can be real fun.

As I said on another thread, being on field B will allow those of us who participate in other events at WSIKF such as the Mass Ascensions, Foster Grandparents, Hand Crafted and others, will have a much easier time of it. Perhaps some other Rev fliers might want to join that fun as well.

Lynn and I are playing in northwestern Washington now, really looking forward to WSIKF this year.

See you all there.

Another thought if we're pressed for space outside the marked off fields, we could easily run four 6-person teams in each field, B and the demonstration arena - grand total of 8.

If anyone wants to start boning up, study the Rev Team Boot Camp video embedded in my first post.

Watty also put together an animation *before* the Boot Camp, it was a quick job and hasn't been polished but it will give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YanEQ60dr3c

There are some differences in music timing compared to the real thing, and some of the flight lines are deeper and smoother than the animation depicts... STUNNING work from Watty, for only putting a couple of hours into it. ;)

If you can roughly familiarize yourself with the flow and timing of the routine, the actual turns for any given position are surprisingly simple and can be learned my an intermediate flier or better within just a couple hours of stick and kite practice... No kidding, you'd be surprised - especially with so many good fliers around you, it's a fertile and encouraging environment.

I think it would be a blast. I would like to learn it , but we will not be arriving until early Thursday. ( have to do some laundry and bill paying after Dieppe lol ) Glad to hear about field B... it was a long haul down to C. Thanks for all the negotiating.

Also remember folks...

The Northwest Sport Kite League is once again holding their AKA-sanctioned competition, with multiline (includes Rev) categories!

• EMB - Experienced Multiline Ballet (individual)
  • EMP - Experienced Multiline Precision (individual)
  • MMB - Masters Multiline Ballet (individual)
  • MMP - Masters Multiline Precision (individual)
  • OMPB - Open Multiline Pairs Ballet
  • OMPP - Open Multiline Pairs Precision

If you've never competed before, it can be a ton of fun...

Very few folks take it too seriously, most just use it as a learning environment to have fun and further develop their skills.

Watty and I will be entering Masters individual multiline events, TK will be entering her first USA competition in Experienced class.

The ripstop gauntlet has been thrown! Come join us for some fun, we'll be happy to give you pointers and coaching!

For precision, here are the required compulsories (one is dropped day of the event):

EMP: MI 4, MI 9, MI 15, MI 22

MMP: MI 4, MI 9, MI 15, MI 22

OMPP: MP 4, MP 7, MP 10, MP 13

You can look up detail and images of all compulsory figures by clicking here.

Click here for more information or here for the registration form!

I would love to fly as a part of one of the makeshift teams. I however do not have time to meet up with anyone, but do have time to learn the routine and maybe meet up with a group of others and make it work on the fly. Let me know if you are interested in making a WSIKF special team. Also thanks to John for the plug about the NWSKL we will be having more than just multiline competitions we have dual line and indoors going on as well. Check out nwskl.org for more information

• Like 1

I am going to try to fly next to as many Rev fliers as I can throughout the week........ I will be there mon-sun... :sign_kitelife:

Don't know about the comps, I do not figure I am at that level yet. I have a long way to go, and I have no idea how to put together a routine. Besides every song I would love to fly to in comp is longer than 4 minutes.

Should folks interested in learning the boot camp routine bring Revs on sticks?

I am going to try to fly next to as many Rev fliers as I can throughout the week........ I will be there mon-sun... :sign_kitelife:

Don't know about the comps, I do not figure I am at that level yet. I have a long way to go, and I have no idea how to put together a routine. Besides every song I would love to fly to in comp is longer than 4 minutes.

Comps?

Don't be scared of comps.

My advise is to simply jump in and get your feet wet.

I did it. I liked it, I made it to the top then I quit and judged for a few years.

I would love to fly as a part of one of the makeshift teams. I however do not have time to meet up with anyone, but do have time to learn the routine and maybe meet up with a group of others and make it work on the fly. Let me know if you are interested in making a WSIKF special team. Also thanks to John for the plug about the NWSKL we will be having more than just multiline competitions we have dual line and indoors going on as well. Check out nwskl.org for more information

My pleasure Kristian, I hope we get a good turnout. :)

With regard to getting involved with the team routine - although I will be coordinating the efforts at WSIKF, I'm working on getting someone to "run point" on discussions here on the forum between now and WSIKF... I'm on the road for most of August and September, won't always have time to keep up with questions and inquiries here.

Nah, the point of competition is exercise... It's just a format that we can apply our skills too, get a relatively objective number as a reference point, then come back and try again - it's like swimming, nobody knows how until they hit the water. :)

Hey John I would like to do the team fly with you at WISKF.

Same as usual Connor, be there, keep your gear organized with everyone else's and look for the opportunities. ;)

If you're interested in learning the routine, just study the videos above and check the forum regularly for information or instructions.

Alright folks, we've got the ball rolling now!

Brett Howard was the person calling in the Rev Team Boot Camp video above, and will be making himself available to call the group routine practices for as long as anyone wants to do it, practice does make perfect. :)

Bri Howard has kindly offered to help me coordinate those who are interested in doing the routine mega fly...

Again, since I'll be on the road for most of August and September, Bri will be fielding inquiries and directing the pre-event discussion...

Both her and Brett are relatively new to the Rev flying world (2-ish years), but they are team players, voracious learners and it's been a pleasure to work with them on this particular project as it's been developing.

If you're interested in doing the mega-fly routine, please click here to send a PM to Bri Howard with the following:

1. An honest summary of your basic abilities on a Rev.
  2. List of teammates, if you've got a crew or have kite friends who want to join you.
  3. What dates you'll be attending WSIKF.

Even if you're think you're "not ready", there is a very good chance we can help you be ready in an encouraging environment...

And remember, there are TWENTY ONE people already trained on this routine, lots of friendly faces who can help. ;)

Bri's just signed off for the night, but she'll be posting back here soon with more info!

Thanks all, this is going to be so much fun!

Awesome thread John!

WSIKF can't come fast enough! Less than a month now for me....as I just realized I get there on the 17th. Yeah!! Will have Steven SPL with me Friday and I know he will want to hit the beach as soon as we get there. Fields may not be set up till Saturday or Sunday, so how bout casual flying pre-festival off Sid Snyder? I know there will be lots of you there early!

You know me ... I'll throw the bags into the room, grab what I need and go join the first line I can find. :blue-cool:

I can wait to see everyone from the clinic again (I'm not even going to list names because I know I'll accidentally forget someone) and meet the other names and faces.

As for the Champions routine - it's almost committed to memory in its entirity so I can fly any position in the line on a moments notice. I was fortunate enough to be in a 6 pack with Brett and Bri at the clinic, so I'll leave it up to them to decide if I'm invited to the party ;)

Also remember folks...

The Northwest Sport Kite League is once again holding their AKA-sanctioned competition, with multiline (includes Rev) categories!

• EMB - Experienced Multiline Ballet (individual)
  • EMP - Experienced Multiline Precision (individual)
  • MMB - Masters Multiline Ballet (individual)
  • MMP - Masters Multiline Precision (individual)
  • OMPB - Open Multiline Pairs Ballet
  • OMPP - Open Multiline Pairs Precision

If you've never competed before, it can be a ton of fun...

Very few folks take it too seriously, most just use it as a learning environment to have fun and further develop their skills.

Watty and I will be entering Masters individual multiline events, TK will be entering her first USA competition in Experienced class.

The ripstop gauntlet has been thrown! Come join us for some fun, we'll be happy to give you pointers and coaching!

For precision, here are the required compulsories (one is dropped day of the event):

EMP: MI 4, MI 9, MI 15, MI 22

MMP: MI 4, MI 9, MI 15, MI 22

OMPP: MP 4, MP 7, MP 10, MP 13

You can look up detail and images of all compulsory figures by clicking here.

Click here for more information or here for the registration form!

Just registered for Masters Multiline Ballet, Masters Multiline Precision, and Masters Indoor!

Who else want's to rumble!?

big_starwars.gif

• Like 1

Watty also put together an animation *before* the Boot Camp, it was a quick job and hasn't been polished but it will give you an idea:

Not available in my country - music copyright issues.

I'll have the routine down by then regardless, just point me to the slot I'm flying in B)

• Like 1

You know me ... I'll throw the bags into the room, grab what I need and go join the first line I can find. :blue-cool:

I can wait to see everyone from the clinic again (I'm not even going to list names because I know I'll accidentally forget someone) and meet the other names and faces.

As for the Champions routine - it's almost committed to memory in its entirity so I can fly any position in the line on a moments notice. I was fortunate enough to be in a 6 pack with Brett and Bri at the clinic, so I'll leave it up to them to decide if I'm invited to the party ;)

Of course you're invited to the party Steven! Are you crazy?! :) Can't wait to see you too, glad you're going to be up for any slot in the line! I'm sure we'll need people like you that are able to move around as the teams settle in. I'll be back soon with more info (I have to do at least a modicum of actual work today). :P

Work is what we do so we can afford to do all the things we'd rather do instead of working.

Since i don't have an assigned slot I'm just learning the routine as a whole so I'll be able to fill any slot except 1. You've seen me fly so you know my capabilities already.

Hi all~

I'm happy to be helping coordinate this effort while John is off doing his thing with iQuad. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

A couple reminders:

For a look at the skills necessary for this team routine, check out the Rev Team Boot Camp overview from July.

If you want to participate in the group fly of 6-person teams, please PM me with:

• An honest summary of your basic abilities on a Rev - even if you think you're "not ready," there is a very good chance we can help you be ready with surprisingly little work and a friendly, encouraging environment.
  • List of team-mates, if you've got a crew or have kite friends who want to join you.
  • What dates you'll be attending WSIKF.

==========================================

Basic overview of the mega-routine project at WSIKF:

• There will be routine-savvy people on the beach starting the weekend before (Sunday 8/19), so folks can connect with them and learn something anytime. Just touch base with pretty much anyone on the Rev field and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
  • The official stick practice and kite practice is "mandatory." There will be other opportunities to get up to speed but it is highly recommended that you attend the official practice. This will help us get an idea of who we have available and start getting people into teams. Keep in mind that we need 6 kites in each team to fly, so we need to make sure everything is squared away or we risk having to ground one of the teams. Nobody wants that!
  • When you're reviewing the animation and boot camp videos, focus on the general pictures the kites are making rather than learning the flight path for one specific kite. This will make it MUCH easier to form teams. Thanks to those who have already said they'd be willing to fly any position, that will help immensely.

6-person routine ORIENTATION (official practice time) will be scheduled for:

- Wednesday 12pm to 3pm

- Thursday 12pm to 3pm

John suggested getting the RevGuild SUBWAY sandwiches delivered at 11am on both of the official practice days. So lets get everyone together a little early, eat some lunch and hit the field! :)

==========================================

Things to bring:

• Rev 1.5 kite(s) appropriate for the wind
  • 120' lines
  • A "stick rev" if you have one or have time to make one! Basically, this is a Rev Shaped Object approximately 3-4" wide that you attach to the end of a spar. You can see examples in the beginning of the team boot camp video for inspiration.
  • Two-way radios are not required, but they will make things much easier. If you have one, please bring it. Don't forget appropriate headphones/headset and lots of batteries!

This should be great fun and an awesome display of what the Rev community can pull together and accomplish. I look forward to flying with you all! Again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Bri

I will second the rev sticks, it will help IMMENSELY with learning the routine. I really recommend FMRS/GMRS radio with a headset. Only callers need transmit capabilities, and having one with a bug in your ear will make flying in team much easier. Brett had a setup where he played the music in his transmission while he called, made it easy to get the key points of the routine timed to the music.

Good Job Bri!!!! I will be there all week to help anyone with the routine, or even getting started flying along side others.

And if anyone needs a kite stake............ :sign_kitelife:

• Like 1