My new Rev bag for traveling light?

I've been considering getting a dedicated Rev bag to take the strain off my full-length dual-line kite bag, but I didn't want another big bag to carry around. The things you carry tend to expand to fit the bags that you have to carry them in. I was in a sporting goods store looking at yoga mat bags (almost long enough for a Rev 1.5, but not enough pocket space) when I had a quick look in the hunting section, where I found this:

PzaRYh.jpg

zzujuh.jpg

PFmVah.jpg

It's a case for an assault rifle, and it happens to be exactly the length of a folded-up Rev 1.5. I had to get it when I realized that the magazine pockets on the outside were exactly the right size for linesets (and there were five, which is exactly the number of quad linesets I own). There's one other velcro pocket that's got room for maybe two pairs of handles and a few stakes and other small things. There's a back strap on the other side, so I can throw it across my back while I carry the 2-line bag on my shoulder. It's well-padded on the inside, too.

The only problem is that it's a snug fit for the kites. I currently have two B1.5's and a small sleeve with the spare frames, and I'm planning on buying one more 1.5 (so I'll have a full sail, mid vent, and full vent). Even with just the two kites and frame bag, it's a bit snug because the bag doesn't bulge; it's intended to be flat around the rifle (as you can see from the third picture). Those (very durable and protective) B-series sleeves take up a good bit of space. I suppose the kites will be ok squeezed in there, because that's how most people's overloaded kite bags look, but of course I won't risk $1,000 in kites over a $35 bag. Thus I've left the tags on because I'm considering returning it and phoning for a proper (but light-travel) kite bag with ample space, but I thought you folks would get a kick out of this. It's not nearly enough space for the true addicts, but might be good to bring just a few kites on a trip or if you're like me and want to try to limit the amount of money you spend on kites. :-)

I got a funny look from the cashier on the way out. I had brought one Rev in with the Red B-series sleeve to judge the size of the bag, and when I went to check out, I put the gun bag and the kite on the counter. While I was going for my wallet, the cashier scanned the gun bag and flipped over the kite sleeve looking for a barcode. Of course on the other side of the sleeve it says "REVOLUTION." I said "no, that's mine" and only then realized that I was buying an assault rifle case while carrying something long and thin that said "Revolution" on it. I may be on an FBI watch list now. :-)

Looks like a pretty good bag. I'd think you could fit one more kite in there if you skipped the sleeves.

Of course, if they gave you funny looks at the store . . . . the other place you might get funny looks is the park or the beach when you walk out carrying an assault rifle bag . . . . Just sayin'

Looks like a pretty good bag. I'd think you could fit one more kite in there if you skipped the sleeves.

Of course, if they gave you funny looks at the store . . . . the other place you might get funny looks is the park or the beach when you walk out carrying an assault rifle bag . . . . Just sayin'

Yeah, I thought of skipping the sleeves, but even then the tight fit means that the handles in the big velcro pocket are pressed firmly against the kites, and that makes me nervous despite the padding.

And yes, the thought had occurred to me that I'd have no trouble finding space to fly the next time my flying field was crowded. I could give someone a heck of a scare!

There are some "newer" B bags that are very thin.. Maybe see if Lolly can hook you up, or any friends that have bought new B's lately? Seems a bit hit or miss, some come with these small sleeves (barely fit the kite only) and some come with a larger bag that the lineset can fit in like in your pictures.

Of my two new B's, one came in the slipsack, the other in a full bag like you have.

Or you could get a Rev Multi Kite bag, they have room for all the gear. Might have to hunt around to source one though. I just ordered mine from Flying Smiles Kites as there are NONE in the Southern Hemisphere!

Small note, thanks Cath your service was awesome.