Rev clinic president's day weekend (OBX)

REVflyer

A few of us are chasing our way down to the Shook kite palace this February, if any quad-heads want to join us. Same deal as last year, (dorm-style $25/night per person) plus some dough for the indoor rental facilities charge ($40/hr).

We need a head count but expect a dozen or so of all different skill levels. Last year's participants could tell who tuned the leaders they preferred after a couple of days of intense practice sessions. I would expect all the kites and lines, handles etc to be furnished, so you can easily experience different options: sissy sticks, hybrid frames, different bridle or sail configurations. There are no recognized instructors, that is simply too formal for our group style, instead it's share what you know and see if anyone else appreciates your contribution <LOL!>

We'll challenge different kite flying conditions (high wind to indoors) and you'll never have more fun than with this group of pilots!

• Like 2

I'm stopping by the Norfolk Airport for Rich (and possibly Laura) on Friday morning, 10-ish is our objective,

or come in Thursday evening Ben,

to one of the 3 DC airports and Dugard or I will put you up for part of the night, , . . .. . so we can leave at oh-dark-thirty Friday morning from Germantown. I can put the topper on the Odyssey and force-fit six passengers if you don't bring seventeen pieces of luggage!

A few of us are chasing our way down to the Shook kite palace this February, if any quad-heads want to join us. Same deal as last year, (dorm-style $25/night per person) plus some dough for the indoor rental facilities charge ($40/hr).

We need a head count but expect a dozen or so of all different skill levels. Last year's participants could tell who tuned the leaders they preferred after a couple of days of intense practice sessions. I would expect all the kites and lines, handles etc to be furnished, so you can easily experience different options: sissy sticks, hybrid frames, different bridle or sail configurations. There are no recognized instructors, that is simply too formal for our group style, instead it's share what you know and see if anyone else appreciates your contribution <LOL!>

Folks, there are only 4 beds left at a wonderful per night cost - after that, there are rental houses, condos, and 1 Hampton Inn in the vicinity.

Let me know asap!

We'll challenge different kite flying conditions (high wind to indoors) and you'll never have more fun than with this group of pilots!

so a few emails have been circulating between us about our proposed activities. As you may be aware, there are no recognized instructors at the OBX Rev Clinic, it's more about sharing what you know. Dennis and I have had an ongoing competition for many years, which we both enjoy immensely (HE almost always beats me too!) We've discussed some of our objectives. One class I requested is "how to beat smitty". His response? "How does LaMasters do that reversed 180 climb, up the center of the window?" We'll all be interested in a demonstration of the "Willoughby Wiggle" too, as well as the famous "Smith shuffle shake". (Dennis' plate is full!)

Dugard is going to force each participant to work on flying one in each hand, singly first and then two at once. I expect Will Sturdy to throughly explain his version of the "Falling Leaf" too, since I've never seen it executed so magnificently in all my years of Rev-ing! Laura and Rich are stuck teaching us to axel in unison, attempting to share the original master of this technique's unique style and grace. (Scottie Weider)

We'll see what the latest stocked wares are in the Shook Kite Palace, ... what's brand spankin' new layin' on their masterpiece creating sewing machine? And for who?

We'll trudge around indoors for a few hours. Dennis & I have recognized his superiority outdoors, (it's tough for me to type that!) so we'll fly some mystery ballet, one-handed only using Dave Ashworth's dedicated indoor kites as our weapons. I get his Star Trek music and he's using my X-files soundtrack. MAYBE i have a chance now to stop carrying his luggage, at least for one weekend <LOL!> if I wear my super hero boots and can borrow Dave's latest and greatest indoor quad.

We'll spank some various options on sail configurations, framing choices, bridle options and magic sticks for people to explore, work on our low wind techniques (1.5s and Zens) and some 3-D flying (my favorite crowd pleasing activities), as well as the intro-stuff like line management, tuning for various conditions, maybe even exploring different handle lengths and why one set is never enough!

There are a few single beds left, if anyone wants to join us. Contact Cath Shook thru the store, if interested.

See ya' soon, I can hardly wait to get started

post-92-13280969974922_thumb.jpg

post-92-13280970327801_thumb.jpg

post-92-13280975115279_thumb.jpg

so a few emails have been circulating between us about our proposed activities. As you may be aware, there are no recognized instructors at the OBX Rev Clinic, it's more about sharing what you know. Dennis and I have had an ongoing competition for many years, which we both enjoy immensely (HE almost always beats me too!) We've discussed some of our objectives. One class I requested is "how to beat smitty". His response? "How does LaMasters do that reversed 180 climb, up the center of the window?" We'll all be interested in a demonstration of the "Willoughby Wiggle" too, as well as the famous "Smith shuffle shake". (Dennis' plate is full!)

Dugard is going to force each participant to work on flying one in each hand, singly first and then two at once. I expect Will Sturdy to throughly explain his version of the "Falling Leaf" too, since I've never seen it executed so magnificently in all my years of Rev-ing! Laura and Rich are stuck teaching us to axel in unison, attempting to share the original master of this technique's unique style and grace. (Scottie Weider)

We'll see what the latest stocked wares are in the Shook Kite Palace, ... what's brand spankin' new layin' on their masterpiece creating sewing machine? And for who?

We'll trudge around indoors for a few hours. Dennis & I have recognized his superiority outdoors, (it's tough for me to type that!) so we'll fly some mystery ballet, one-handed only using Dave Ashworth's dedicated indoor kites as our weapons. I get his Star Trek music and he's using my X-files soundtrack. MAYBE i have a chance now to stop carrying his luggage, at least for one weekend <LOL!> if I wear my super hero boots and can borrow Dave's latest and greatest indoor quad.

We'll spank some various options on sail configurations, framing choices, bridle options and magic sticks for people to explore, work on our low wind techniques (1.5s and Zens) and some 3-D flying (my favorite crowd pleasing activities), as well as the intro-stuff like line management, tuning for various conditions, maybe even exploring different handle lengths and why one set is never enough!

There are a few single beds left, if anyone wants to join us. Contact Cath Shook thru the store, if interested.

See ya' soon, I can hardly wait to get started

Hi Paul and Smitty....

.... and please notice the color of Dave's beautiful indoor Masterpiece! HA! Purple, baby, purple. LOL

(Just to let you all know, from the e-mails going around, Dennis had requested his blue and preferably, TEAL indoor kite for the Comp between him and Paul and I said, of course, that it should be purple!)

Don't you just love quad line flyers........I'm still trying to see this Willoughby wiggle. Parkway South has been around for three years and I haven't seen it. The Smith shuffle as it is named is all in the feet. It's my way of moving sideways with the kite. In other words......When you fly the kite left or right....you shuffle with it, thus keeping it in the center of the window.....I stink with light wind..anything below 2 mph... forget about it. One of my favorite Paul LaMasters stories is.....when we were at Dory Park where you fly in a vacuum.......I was flying Ultras at the time He was flying one of Ashworth's .........He goes out there and flies fantastic in nothing. After doing his routine he walks off the field and sees me in the pit. He walks over to me and says in his LaMasters delivery........."you're screwed pal......and walks away.......I proceeded to drag my Ultra all over that field. I looked awful. But I didn't care because a bad day of kite flying is better that a good day at work. I do ok considering I fly with my thumbs........:0)

theSmith

Dennis,

withOUT your thumbs

is the only way I've ever seen you fly quads, ... did you acquire a new skill set, a new technique, sir?

One time Smitty walked up to me, (OXSKC a few years ago, in huge wind all weekend of 28 to 35 mph steady!) and said "I see you've finally learned how to back-up!"

Cosca and I got down there early Friday morning and while he did his kite-sales business thing I flew to one soundtrack, over and over again. Yes, I even assembled some components together to accompany this music, at least an interesting start and a decent closing. Saturday's events were all cancelled due to the high winds, everything packed into Sunday. So another day flying to that same darn soundtrack, I'm beginning to get sick of it already! Sunday's opening statement? "Borrow equipment, or withdraw, there's not going to be any wind rules on this day". Lisa has her kite sitting on the ground and you can see the turbulence transmitting thru the lines and witness her entire torso twitching, she hasn't even taken off yet! I see that and slapped in like 3 more inches of "down" in the handle tuning. That darn thing wouldn't ever get powered flight in forward, regardless of the wind, when you consider how much down I prefer usually.

And Dennis actually noticed!,... I may yet someday get this guy off of his pedestal (I'm thinking as I walk away)

It's all good, we both look forward to the next time I get to carry Dennis' luggage up 3 flight of stairs http://www.revkites.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/kid_cussing.gif

Dennis,

withOUT your thumbs

is the only way I've ever seen you fly quads, ... did you acquire a new skill set, a new technique, sir?

One time Smitty walked up to me, (OXSKC a few years ago, in huge wind all weekend of 28 to 35 mph steady!) and said "I see you've finally learned how to back-up!"

Cosca and I got down there early Friday morning and while he did his kite-sales business thing I flew to one soundtrack, over and over again. Yes, I even assembled some components together to accompany this music, at least an interesting start and a decent closing. Saturday's events were all cancelled due to the high winds, everything packed into Sunday. So another day flying to that same darn soundtrack, I'm beginning to get sick of it already! Sunday's opening statement? "Borrow equipment, or withdraw, there's not going to be any wind rules on this day". Lisa has her kite sitting on the ground and you can see the turbulence transmitting thru the lines and witness her entire torso twitching, she hasn't even taken off yet! I see that and slapped in like 3 more inches of "down" in the handle tuning. That darn thing wouldn't ever get powered flight in forward, regardless of the wind, when you consider how much down I prefer usually.

And Dennis actually noticed!,... I may yet someday get this guy off of his pedestal (I'm thinking as I walk away)

It's all good, we both look forward to the next time I get to carry Dennis' luggage up 3 flight of stairs http://www.revkites....kid_cussing.gif

I was confused about my thumbs......you're right I'm thumbless

Oh yeah I remember that day.......I was dying....came in 3rd to your first at that event and I came in second to Archie's first at NJSKC, and let's not forget the third to Karl's first and Doug Coates' 2nd........Oh yeah did I mention My 2nd to Jim Cosca's first in Delaware, So I am beatable

I was confused about my thumbs......you're right I'm thumbless

Oh yeah I remember that day.......I was dying....came in 3rd to your first at that event and I came in second to Archie's first at NJSKC, and let's not forget the third to Karl's first and Doug Coates' 2nd........Oh yeah did I mention My 2nd to Jim Cosca's first in Delaware, So I am beatable

Hi Mr. Masters National Champion....

Beatable.... I don't know.... you keep doing your Star Trek routine like you did at TI and NOPE, not beatable!!! ani_notworthy.gif

That routine was TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

Will Sturdy has a chance! . . . He grabbed my kite after crewing, changed nothing and came in 2nd with a killer routine of his own using Weider's Rev Riders theme music. He's the guy that will have Dennis staying up late into the night working the sound-board and improving his routine. I got no chance against our hero & champion unless the wind/weather conditions just suck (dead-calm or porta-potties blowin' over)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so ready to go tomorrow, see ya'll real soon!

Really looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow!

Don't forget your warmest undies - forecast if for 50's with northerly winds 8-15 MPH. And your 'slick' tennis shoes for the indoor court.

Tomorrow night, meeting at Pasquales ... we can take care of details at that point for the rest of the weekend!

Cath & Eliot too!

We had a grand OBX event and will excitedly wait until the time when we can get together and do it all over again next year. Thanks Cath and Eliot!

PS: Dennis' advise to beat him in quad ballet was completely useless,....

it's careful practice, knowing your music fully, then exploiting these presented opportunities. Graph paper to prevent duplications of effort, reminder note cards stuck into your pocket to study, little stick kites to fly the routine in your spare time, and knowing your music so well it could start in the middle and you'd know exactly what to do next.

That all sounds like the same advise every winner shares with me. It reminds me of why so many folks drop out of the sport kite arena as well, it's too much like "work" and I've already got a real job!

How well can I score if I make everything up at the event?

How well can I do if the sound guy picks out the music and I make it everything up as I go along during the event?

I can now understand why Dennis is so very uncomfortable as a "soul flyer" in mystery ballet.

PPS: I've got your luggage Master Smith!

I hated to miss this one. Sounds like you guys had a great time, as expected. Hopefully you had access to the indoor facility during all the rain. :)

We did have lots of indoor time. At least this year. It was a great group. Has to be small due to space constraints and only a few beds available.

Is this Brian?? Let me know the next time you're down here!

Cath

it's funny to see folks eyes light-up when they get the hang of indoor flight. A couple of our participants had to place orders right then and there,.. the best part? The orders were for Will Sturdy's indoor single lined kite (the one with that unpronounceable name). We flew fighters and quads, as well as carefully watching each person's activities trying to pick-up something unique to make all our own.

Thanks Cath, for arranging the clinic, housing, the indoor location, beverages/snacks and for having a building full of cool stuff we didn't even know we needed until we got there <LOL!>

REVflyer, maybe you are talking about Sturdy's Chiroptera...... It's currently my favorite glider. A few of the guys at the Las Vegas fun fly are sportin' the Chiroptera when there's not enough wind (for the dualie pilots anyways hehe).

It's named Chiroptera in honor of a bat (of the same name) that recently went extinct :(

Sounds like you all had an amazing time!

We did have lots of indoor time. At least this year. It was a great group. Has to be small due to space constraints and only a few beds available.

Is this Brian?? Let me know the next time you're down here!

Cath

Hey Cath. This is Brian. Probably the Brian you're thinking of. :)

We haven't been down to the OBX since Thanksgiving, but I'll definitely let you know when we're coming. I wish I could have been there last week!