*KITE SWIMMING???*

Hector Herrera

Well this afternoon was spent with 4 hours of flying off the end of a jetty dunking in deep water away from the surf. Man what a blast had the ipod going and just in the zone, turned around for a second to see about 40 people behind me watching (oh the pressure).

Luckily I didn't loose and and mess up royally, had a great time with my 120' lines in 25+ feet of water, now all I need is a camera operator would have had some great footage today.

OK time to go take the Rev out of its bubble bath.

Happy 4th to all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha like I said "you will end up with a huge smile on your face"! :D:P:D:lol:B):rolleyes:

Happy 4th all.

Usually I'm on the shoreline quite often playing in the water and the wind comes directly off the ocean leaving not much at the edge of the window to play in even wading, Today I got lucky and the fishermen where nowhere to be found so alas I got a rare opportunity to once again to get some deep water to play in.

I wonder if a professional sign that says "Rev Flying Only" would work to keep them away :lol:

I'm totally amazed on Hectors Video he landed leading edge down and rotated the kite in the water to take off. That has to be a pond only thing the ocean would never allow that with moving water.

Now I have to find some fresh water with an open enough space.

You people are bad influences Keep up the good work ;)

Hmmm...The ocean would NEVER allow...hmmm it sounds like a little challenge for this intrepid kite pilot, just remember, there is NO FEAR, and there is a lot of ocean to conquer.

This one goes for Mr. Denny:.. have you done any surf fishing?

I did it years ago with a plastic bubble half full of water, and tossing far into the ocean, and 6 feet of fishing line with a feather hook at the end, then short pulls of the fishing pole, to atract fish.

It seems to me that you are at a perfect place for that kind of fishing, BUT THE IDEA IS DOING IT WITH YOUR REV. ???? HA HA HA HA ANOTHER WILD IDEA FROM HECTOR HERRERA...

SURF FISHING WITH A REVOLUTION KITE...HMMM...HECTOR, YOU ARE A SUPERB-THINKER.

Yeah, I could imagine that. Mr B's vid seems to be in some sort of inlet, a kind of marina type place though - no surf, but surely a current of sorts.

Can you enlighten us JB?

That footage was taken at Seaport Village in San Diego, out on the point... Indeed, it's an inlet into a marina. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Nothing like California beaches...ahhh ...nice.

Space Stations kite at the beach. (And into it.) B)

This guy Hector, really knows how to get some fun with his Home made kites. ;)

Hello Hector,

in may this year, I spend some days on Korsika, and it happened nearly the same to my 1.5 SLE. A wave catched my kite and had broken a vertical :( . Now I want to warn my german kitfriends, but I have no fotos from my accident. Are you allow me to show them your accident-fotos ?

Thank you, and I wish you a nice and windy day. :rolleyes:

Greetings from the south-west of Germany

Karl-Heinz

Hello Hector,

in may this year, I spend some days on Korsika, and it happened nearly the same to my 1.5 SLE. A wave catched my kite and had broken a vertical :( . Now I want to warn my german kitfriends, but I have no fotos from my accident. Are you allow me to show them your accident-fotos ?

Thank you, and I wish you a nice and windy day. :rolleyes:

Greetings from the south-west of Germany

Karl-Heinz

Hi Karl: Sorry I am answering so late, but I have not been in this forum lately... :blue-confused:

Sure, you can show her the photos,... the only thing is that, my kite WAS NOT in any accident, I was doing some stunt kiting flying in and out of the water, and a couple of times I landed the kite on the sand, as you can see. The kite was never into any problems at all. :blue-cool:

Hi Karl: Sorry I am answering so late, but I have not been in this forum lately... :blue-confused:

Sure, you can show her the photos,... the only thing is that, my kite WAS NOT in any accident, I was doing some stunt kiting flying in and out of the water, and a couple of times I landed the kite on the sand, as you can see. The kite was never into any problems at all. :blue-cool:

Hi Hector,

late anser is absolutly no problem. On the second foto I thougt the "leitkante" (in germany we say leitkante - it means the big carbon tube in the front of the REV - what`s the name of this tube in the USA?) of your kite is broken. I´m glad to hear that your kite is allright. :D You had moore luck than I.

Now I´m going to kite. We have nice wind today. :bye1:

Have a nice weekend

Karl

Hector,

That was great! You gave me the confidence to try it with your pictures. Why is so much fun to take a fine tuned flying machine and swim it? That is so cool when it pops out of the water. No fear! Constant movement and slow, slow, slow = fun, fun, fun. If you have wind near some calm water try it you will end up with a huge smile on your face the first time it pops out.

Denny

I am so glad that you all fellows, and gals, like the Swimming Kite, and after reading some postings, it seems that most would prefer calm waters... I am the NO FEAR type guy, and it encourage me to try it in rough waters...of course it should be planed in advance, as not to brake the kite, otherwise in not fun anymore, but the simple fact that it could be done in wild waters is tempting ???

Did you know that after learning to fly duals and quads kites, I went to fly Paragliders? NO FEAR.

(At least I did the tandem fly, then some lessons in wich I was airborne in my solo flite)...

anyone wants to be the first to do it in rough waters and be famous??? :devil:

Hi Hector,

late anser is absolutly no problem. On the second foto I thougt the "leitkante" (in germany we say leitkante - it means the big carbon tube in the front of the REV - what`s the name of this tube in the USA?) of your kite is broken. I´m glad to hear that your kite is allright. :D You had moore luck than I.

Now I´m going to kite. We have nice wind today. :bye1:

Have a nice weekend

Karl

"leitkante" ...for us in the USA would be the "leading edge"... " (attacking front???)

Hey Karl, send us some photos of you, your girl friend and of course your kites, and if you have any videos, even better. In what part of Germany are you at?.

"leitkante" ...for us in the USA would be the "leading edge"... " (attacking front???)

Hey Karl, send us some photos of you, your girl friend and of course your kites, and if you have any videos, even better. In what part of Germany are you at?.

Hi Hector,

leading edge in english is absolutly the same as Leit (leading) kante (edge) in german ;) . Sorry, at the moment I have no digital foto of me, my family or my kites because i have no digital camera. Please have some partience, I will borrow me a camera and then I can show you some fotos. You ask me where I live in Germany. I live about 18 miles west of Stuttgart in the south west of Germany. It is at the border to the black forrest. You know Stuttgart? It is the city of Mercedes Benz and Porsche.

Bye Karl-Heinz :bye1:

• 2 months later...

This topic is awesome...sorry it's so old. I saw video this summer and I had to try it. I dipped in a gentle river getting progessively deeper and more bold. My first total submersion was "rescued" by an ignorant bystander. Funny to see. I'll definately submerge again when conditions are right.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...