Light wind training exercises

Somthing i learned as a golfer.Also works witha kite,,FOR ME,,

I used to stand on the Tee with two or even three clubs and practice my swing.When it was time to drive or Tee off.The club i selected felt much liter and i could feel it much better in my hands.The confidence level was up also.

So,set up your kite with the heavy,stiffer rods first in low winds.Give it your best shot and work hard at it.Then swop to the liter rods and i find the diffrence is appreciated much more.

I do love the Sedgewick in a 4mph though with 3 wrap,its awsome.

Just my take on it.

BRIAN...

Just to the right of my apartments front door. After the picture was taken I thought the speed sign was appropriate.

Dean

Albany, Oregon if that was the desired answer

The area light and the car light, or was that reflection from the camera flash?

Robert Rauschenberg had an eye for the details of the American and other environments. The speed sign is very cool in the context!

Thanks

Felix

The area light is on but the reflector on my car caught the flash.

For some reason that picture is my favorite of the few I've taken.

Dean

Dean,

As I said it is 'a strangely iconic image'. Do you still have a hi res version.

Best wishes

Felix

Dean,

As I said it is 'a strangely iconic image'. Do you still have a hi res version.

Best wishes

Felix

I'm embarrassed to say, that is the highest resolution I've got on my camera :blushing: It does look slightly less pixelated looking at it on my computer. But I'm not a photographer. I think I could get another pic using a better camera though.

Dean

I should sell it to him dean. He will understand, being an art dealer;) ;)

David Ellison kindly lent me some 2,3 and 4 wrap rods for my I's. Unfortunately I have to return them this weekend but the standard with the 2 wraps was faboulous, and I can't tell you what the vented with 3 wraps did for me on a family site!

:kid_devlish: is that picture really art?

I'm sure you got some kinda thing outta the 3 wrap vented. Probably the same thing I'll get if I ever get to try the 2 wrap out on my standards. Rerod both of em and fly a light wind stack. It's a cool looking stack. Done it, but 15 to 20 mph winds with these is a bit extreme for my prefered flying style now'a days. Do ya'all get light wind days over there?

Dean

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I found john's article very interesting (http://www.kitelife....d40/content.php) but there is a point that I don't understand. I'm not english or american, so I have some difficulties understanding articles when tecnical/slang language is used.

I'm very interested in the "gain ground section" of the article but I don't understand how to perform it. When I got the kite at the top of the wind window what do I have to do? How do I make the L.E. point donward and what to do next and wich position the kite assume?

thanks for the attention and greetings from Italy.

HI.

Fly up to the top of the window as described (L.E. up). When you are at the top, turn 180 so the 'points' are now facing up and L.E. facing down. As the kite gains speed, apply more break (thumbs forward) and walk forwards to glide the kite back downwind.

At least, that is what I interpret it as although I am not very good at it personally so maybe I have it wrong huh.gif

Yes, you are correct Jason. With the kite in the inverted position, it can act like a glider, and glide away from you as you gain ground. Using large amounts of break, you can slow down the kite's decent and make it glide away from you as you move forward.

The extra brake keeps the kite nearly flat, so you get the best "glide angle" (most distance down-wind per amount of drop). This is used to recover ground that you have "lost" by stepping backward to increase the apparent wind. But be careful: too much brake will prevent the kite from gliding downwind at all.

In light winds, you can also experiment with small weights (usually at the lower ends of the vertical spars) to help the kite sit naturally at the best glide angle. The weight of the LE spar, and the bridle adjustment, will also affect the glide angle. When experimenting, it is best to only change one variable at a time and see what the effect is.

As one of my random email sigs says:

When all the parameters change, its not possible to

say which caused the whirlwind. [Elizabeth Moon]

This is one of my favorite videos; even have it loaded in my iPod.

I chuckle everytime I watch it and see those two with their backs turned, never once even glancing over towards the kite.

Does anyone know if it is on youtube somewhere?

I have searched a lot, but found nothing... confused_1.gif

Thanks!

this one?

Thanks, but no. I was thinking of:

"...It's the Revolution kites Light wind Technique DVD by Joe Hedzicki (don't know if this is how you spell his last name), dated 1/2000 and it covers bridle change, keep kite moving, surface area, the rev float, drop turns, rowing motion, pumping, light lines and sensitivity. "

Anyone?

;-)

I've made a light wind video too which you can check

Wind was about 4 Mph.

Used B-Pro with RaceRods on 100 ft lines.

Notice that the right equipment is half of the light wind way of flying...the other half is practice and practice !!!

• Like 1

Sorry to duplicate, I just posted this info on another semi-related topic...

Have you seen the light wind tutorial I did?

http://kitelife.com/...ng-hd-1280x720/

Also, I recommend looking at the Sail Loading technique as well...

http://kitelife.com/...ng-hd-1280x720/

They're accessible to Kitelife subscribers ( http://www.kitelife.com/subscribe.php ) only, but if you're interested, they are there. :)

The full collection of tutorials is listed at http://www.learnkites.com

16 outdoor Rev tutorials, 9 indoor Rev, 1 dual line, 26 tutorials in all - some of them are on YouTube.

Thanks, but no. I was thinking of:

"...It's the Revolution kites Light wind Technique DVD by Joe Hedzicki (don't know if this is how you spell his last name), dated 1/2000 and it covers bridle change, keep kite moving, surface area, the rev float, drop turns, rowing motion, pumping, light lines and sensitivity. "

Anyone?

;-)

Any info from 2000 is pretty dated... Revolution flying, or more so the collective knowledge, took a real leap starting in 2006, full stride by 2008.

Even the best pilots have experienced somewhat of a "revolution" in their own flying over the past few years. ;)

Sorry to duplicate, I just posted this info on another semi-related topic...

The full collection of tutorials is listed at http://www.learnkites.com

16 outdoor Rev tutorials, 9 indoor Rev, 1 dual line, 26 tutorials in all - some of them are on YouTube.

Any info from 2000 is pretty dated... Revolution flying, or more so the collective knowledge, took a real leap starting in 2006, full stride by 2008.

Even the best pilots have experienced somewhat of a "revolution" in their own flying over the past few years. ;)

Thanks, I enjoy your video's very much (subscriber), and have paid special attention to sail loading and light wind flying. It just seems that some of the posters praise this particular light wind movie even though it is old..

And personally I figured out the float from other videos (Scott Weiders Zen video eg.) and some posts form this helpful site. So I am just curious to see if I can find even more tips and hints on light wind tecnique ;-)

• 2 years later...