3rd Annual West Coast Rev Clinic

KiteLife

PLEASE, only vote if you're going to be attending this clinic!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in practicing/learning to fly in a grid?

• Yes, I want to fly grid.
    • No, I

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I just heard that Dean and family won't be able to attend this year so we're back up to 10 open slots for the clinic... Just an FYI. ;)

Hey John, any plans to get together for pizza on Saturday night? Last year was fine pizza & a good time for all. B)

As long as its OK with clinic organizers, I might show up Saturday afternoon as a interested bystander/megafly participant and attend the dinner at Chico's. I am unable to attend the clinic as a student because I do not get off from work until Saturday morning at 4:30am. I will donate a kite stake and holster to the drawing!

Hey, about that "new people" crack, Watty - I'm old enough to be your grampa. :lol:

But I can still learn some new things, especially from the young talents like you. As long as you are very patient :wacko:

Looking forward to the clinic and meeting everyone.

BTW, where is the Friday casual meeting? I'm assuming at the Kite Museum. Or will it be around a beach approach?

Fair winds - looks like the weather might cooperate (mostly).

(clinic soon! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: )

Fun fly afternoon at Long Beach with blue skies, Revs & sun tan lotion.

Here's a short video of Watty & ? doing follow the leader.

The winds were variable from 3 - 8 mph changing directions at will. Sometimes the wind had no direction but a beautiful day was not wasted. Much nicer than wearing rain gear. :P

Wow, it must be spring. The day started off with 4 - 8 mph winds so everyone set up with standards. By the time orientation was over at 9:30 the winds were 10 - 12 mph so everyone changed to vented. Shortly after the lunch break I took a break for a bit of video of Bazzer & the intermediate group playing in 15 mph winds.

You can still understand what Bazzer is saying.

By 1:40 the winds were up past 20 mph & I rested my arms from flying to take this video.

About 3 PM everyone was giving up as the wind approached 30 mph. A lot of fine flying was enjoyed by most in spite of fingers going numb from the pressure of the handles.

As I post this it's raining lightly. I'm glad I have my full rain gear. Probably the high light of the trip will be Chico's Pizza for all the fliers tonight.

And we still get to fly tomorrow -- yeahhh. :matrix:

Thanks for the video Ray. It was fun to see what I missed. Looked typical for Long Beach.

Dean

Hey, you're welcome Dean.

Today was a great day after yesterday. Winds about 12 mph all day -- nice full vent winds. The morning was spent in individual instruction for whatever needed improvement. For me, that's inverted hover. Watty was a great help.

After lunch it was team flying and grid practice. We had 16 Revs in the grid and did some great maneuvers with John's guidance. Mid afternoon the novices went off with Bazzer and the intermediates stayed with John for a great two hours of team flying. I only brought a few other kites down a couple of times but my inverted hover in the ball was much improved.

Here's a video of the novice group with Bazzer as their patient leader. Mark had only flown his Rev one time before the clinic & he's right in there doing follow & tip stands with the rest of them. Bravo, Mark.

What a superb long weekend. Thank you John & Iquad for sharing your passion for the Rev. B)

Well, my other longer video finally got uploaded on this 2 bar wi-fi signal from the RV park. Mid afternoon we all took a break to watch Iquad fly the first routine they ever choreographed. The music is the Indiana Jones theme. Apparently this is John's idea of taking a break.

I didn't get any video of the intermediates today as I was too busy having a good time flying.

if you want to watch it on Youtube or below if you want to watch it here.

I took liberty and edited Ray's post, I know he wouldn't mind. :)

WOW, WOW and WOW... What a great weekend!!!

Everyone who came out to play and learn were simply awesome!

To Mike, Lori, Carol, Robert, Howard, Sunny, John, Calvin, Cameron, Erin, Brad, Ray, Lisa, Andy, Ken, Sheri, Carl, Dave, Glenn, Sarah, Terry and Mark...We couldn't have asked for a better group of participants, seeing everyone get better and better over the weekend, the grins on everyone's faces, and most of all - seeing SO MANY of you bravely jump into team flying and doing so well, a real testament to the kind of community we have as Rev fliers.

Thanks to Walt Ellis for donating one of his gorgeous marble ground stakes to our raffle, John Mason for his donation of two custom figurine ground stakes, Revolution for the Zen frame, our anonymous donor (you know who you are) for the $100 Cabela's gift card and to everyone who made the whole affair better just for their being a part of it. ;)

A special nod also goes out to Bazzer who did such an AMAZING job with all the newest fliers on Sunday, getting them used to team flying, it was really beautiful to watch everyone spread their wings, so to speak.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... All.

I already have another Rev Clinic in the works for May 8-9 in Lincoln City, OR... A good warm up for the Lincoln City Summer Festival which is titled "Quadzilla" this year in light of their planned attempt to put up the most Revs ever assembled in mass ascension (not formation) all over the beach... So another fun clinic is coming (stay tuned for more info), and an event where everyone can be a part of it even if they're not comfortable flying in a team situation yet.

Hope to see many of you there!

Awesome weekend guys!!! I had a blast flying with all of you! What perfect wind to end the weekend with eh?

You all improved so much and I really enjoyed teaching and helping with your flying. Talk about some major improvements between Friday and Sunday!! I can't believe how great the team flying was!

Look forward to flying with you all soon!

With all this new found free time I've got, you can pen me in for a clinic in Lincoln City and the festival. Guess that means I should probably equal (or get somewhat close) our lines and get out and knock the dust off? Work on the rust too I should probablykid_devlish.gif I'll have to try and get a day trip to Portland fingered out before then maybe. WOOOHOOO!!! Hope it works out, I miss all ya all.

Dean

ah yes ... what an remarkable weekend !!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

learned some new skills..... laughed way, way to much ;) ;) , connected with some old friends and made some new ones

all in all ... delightful !!!!!

can't wait for next year ...

terry

ISLAND QUAD

Thanks for the quick catch & fix on my mis-identification of the music guys. I went to Youtube & listened to both & they aren't even close to sounding the same. confused_1.gif

John, a clinic May 8 & 9 would be great prep before the summer kite fest coming on June 26 & 27. Count me in. I put it on my calendar.

Thanks again for a great clinic. :w00t: