Bristol 2009

Felix

We just fly the 1's as usual! No problem... <Grins>

Felix

H Felix, I've never seen you have a problem with too little wind. I always tell new flyers if they want to see how to fly in light wind, watch the guy with the Yellow mark on his kite. Your ability is amazing.

OK off to Dublin now, so sorry not to be coming will miss Avril & all the girls. and the Noodle Bar. Like Gary said, if I'm not there start without me :lol:

Spent part of the Day at Bristol, would have spent longer, unfortunatly the M5 was not playing fair and what should have beern an Hour and a Half journey turned into almost Three and a Half.

Still was worth the trip, saw loads of Friends, got some new bits for a Dualie.

Spent some time with STACK, for some reason the Third arena was not roped off which interfered with STACK giving thier novice lessons. Just turned into another area for the public to fly.

Decs were fantastic as ever, fairly light breeze most of the time I was there.

As I left about 6:30 ish The Decs were still in the main arena with quite a few folks still watching, although it was a lot quieter by then. On my walk back to the car I smiled as I counted more Revs flying than almost any other kite. There was some still in the public areas, and a few were being flown in the SLK arena which was now almost empty.

Oh well, will just have to go back tomorrow to see if there is enough wind for me to fly a Rev.

H Felix, I've never seen you have a problem with too little wind. I always tell new flyers if they want to see how to fly in light wind, watch the guy with the Yellow mark on his kite. Your ability is amazing.

<snip>

Hmmm! Too much practice... Not amazing! Its not yet really practical 'in team' but I'm sure that it will be eventually.

A great day at Bristol!

Felix

I Agree Chris Decs were great ... flew my naked stack most of the day but it was chaos in the STACK arena (what arena!!) .. packed up after getting threatened with a bloody nose from a bloke whose £6 kids kite got wrapped in my lines and destroyed... gave him £10 and told him to buy something calming with the change :angry:

Lots of new Rev flyers and some new friends and very busy so well done Bristol for getting the crowds in .... and of course well done all of us for helping make it happen at all ...

I'll be fixing the arena problem myself this morning, taking my own rope and pins, not going to rely on the official arena being done today either.

Not Avril's fault, she was as annoyed as me, but the farmers kept the setup crew off the field on Friday night until 9pm, when it was too dark to do anything much. All the arenas had to go up in the morning, so our's got left til last then forgotten completely.

Sounds cool Kieth, wondered why the ropes were not up.

If you are still on here, word of warning about the arena.

If I remember rightly last Year the "third" arena crossed what is a well troden path, probably a footpath. If you choose to rope that bit off you will still find folks walking through it, despite the ropes. It is obviously the shortest way to the top. So even if it is roped off, keep an eye on that bit.

Hope to see you later. Cheers, Chris.

I Agree Chris Decs were great ... flew my naked stack most of the day but it was chaos in the STACK arena (what arena!!) .. packed up after getting threatened with a bloody nose from a bloke whose £6 kids kite got wrapped in my lines and destroyed... gave him £10 and told him to buy something calming with the change :angry:

Lots of new Rev flyers and some new friends and very busy so well done Bristol for getting the crowds in .... and of course well done all of us for helping make it happen at all ...

Mmm,the very reason why eight of us pilots from up North didnt bother.Room has been a definate issue from what we all read and discussed at length.Before decideing to stay at our Local site.I know at any festival room for all is a challenge.Must also be quite agravateing,,,for everyone.Especially after similar comments and feedback from Portsmouth also.Certainly put us OFF comeing.

Probably worth it to see the Decs again though and chat with some great people ,but flying kites is the name of the game.The stack lads,Bryan B and Keith G,like everyone,put masses of time in to get the training/clinic on.

BE KEWL,Tomorrow is another day

Glad the sun shone and the wind sorta turned up for ya all.We had a sweet 7.6mph allday at Ainsdale.A stunning day.Hundreds and hundreds of people on the beech.Bikinis and Dancing Girls on seven miles of open beech.

HO,and a Drunk Golfer That Thought I was A Good Target,,,,he soon found he was Mistaken.....lol.

BEWARE ,THER EVERYWHER..... :lol:

Have a great day Sunday everyone.

BRIAN...

Cool Bri, you be sure to have a good one too.

Best fun I had yesterday was helping a young girl to understand how to fly a dualie when her parents had given up with messing with the kite.

I gave her Una's Beetle to have a go on. After I showed her how to place it ready to fly, and which handles to pull on, I just walked away. When I turned round she was doing OK. I even noticed her Dad having a go.

She went home with a set of lines as an early Birthday present.

I just LOVE kite flying.

thoroughly enjoyed it yesterday at Bristol with Jonesey and the rest of the crew

even wth a five and a half hour round trip to get there

got there early and enjoyed the space as it closed in more and more as the day went on

thanks to all for your company

look forward to the next meet where ever that may be

Hey there Jonesey,you killed any Bats lately LOL

BAZ

Ha bloody ha Baz ... £10 for another POS just to keep the natives happy ... does that make me a vampire killer ;)

Hey Bri ... got to see a few of your old hand me downs yesterday ... lime green/black custom 1.5's looked great and now in Frankie's (?) very capable hands ...

Hope it goes well today guys have fun and think of me paying the price in the Malls of Bristol ...AAARGGHH!!

Just came back from Bristol, washed my car (what IS that dust?) and sat down. Phew!

Nice to see Baz and Chris and Una again! Shame I left to early yesterday to see the amazing vampire slaying skills Jonesey displayed.

I was back there today, STACK had a nice arena with things ticking over smoothly. We had a go from 1-2 as agreed, thanks Keith! My son also attended STACK trick clinic and with not many people interested, he had one-to-one tutoring and an absolutely brilliant time. Afterwards we watched the trick out and he concluded he'll have to practice a bit more before he can join in with that :P

We met a guy called Steve who said he wished more people joined in with STACK quad competitions. This year he said he was the only novice there, competing with the likes of Chris and Carl and that was just silly!

All in all, a lovely festival even if it was bit of a trek getting there.

[EDITED for spelling]

Edited by Yrna

Pretty much same from me folks. Good to touch base with you all again.

I joined STACK yesterday and spent a while with one of the guys showing me how to crash more neatly.

Tried the trick thing today, was shown how to make the kite not fly, which apparently is the start of a lot of tricks.

And yes Kieth and the rest of the stack folks for letting the Rev heads in at Lunch time. There was a comment that not many of us were expected to turn up. Glad there was enough of us to fill it up. The chap said afterwards he was glad we used it. Sorry but I am RUBBISH with names. He did introduce himself.

Bit crowded outside the arenas, as it always is at Fests. I just think it is great seeing all the kids flying the one liners, when we are having trouble with all our expensiver stuff. One thing we have to expect at a fest is we wont get much pleasant flying in. And at some time a kite is going to fall on your head.

Might even get down to Weston next Sunday with any luck, if the weather is any good that is.

<snip>

We met a guy called Steve who said he wished more people joined in with STACK quad competitions. This year he said he was the only novice there, competing with the likes of Chris and Carl and that was just silly!

All in all, a lovely festival even if it was bit of a trek getting there.

[EDITED for spelling]

Hi Yrna,

It was a great weekend.

You have just prompted a thought that has been in the back of my mind for a while.

People say that 'competition' can improve skill levels. I am thinking that 'collaboration' may improve skill levels at a faster rate.

And just for those that may expect it... <grins>

Felix

[Edit] Of course I recognise that in a perfect world, competition and collaboration should always be present and precisely balanced to the infinite degree. We will have to inhabit the 'Third Arena' in order to realise everything that may be possible.

Onwards and upwards... apparently! With careful reference to Jacob and Romney, the Stack Constitution and The Third Policeman. Felix [end Edit]

Edited by Felix Mottram

Thanks to all that managed to find the space suitable on Sunday, my efforts being appreciated helps. In the end I gave up on the real arena going up so brought my own stuff along on Sunday and put it up.

Special thanks to Dave and Felix for being available to help out with the rev novices that came along asking for help, it's not some thing I can do (yet).

Still wish we could put the arena up on the golf course though, away from those trees, but that's definately a no-no. Just a shame there is not enough time over the weekend for everyone to get a good go in a safe space, AirHeads crashed and burned on Sunday, probably because we had no chance to practice beforehand or even a decent warmup in the arena.

One of the best pair of Bristol days for sure :)

We were blessed with good weather and decent breezes considering the geographical challenges of the Ashton Court location. Avril Baker and her team did a superb job all weekend and deserve a huge round of :clap; :clap; :clap; for overcoming all the challenges this year. Joe public turned up in his/her thousands and hopefully generated enough financial momentum to carry some £ over towards the 2010 25th anniversary Bristol festival. The contribution from the Revolution family was warmly applauded at the Saturday night dinner.

Sure the site was busy - but that's the nature of a good kite festival when the sun is shining. If you were adventurous (and walked for awhile ;) ) about your flying spot though there was loads of room to fly safely. Seems a shame to not make the trip to the UK's top kite festival because you don't think you'll get the same amount of space as on your home pitch. The more the merrier, and we know from last year that a big herd of Rev fliers tends to create the space they need ;)

As seems to be the way recently the rev momentum keeps building. Lots of new fliers and new rev buyers appearing and asking for tips. It was a pleasure to chat and fly with them all.

P.S. The Pieminister pies were super tasty and missed their iQuad friends :)

One of the best pair of Bristol days for sure :)

We were blessed with good weather and decent breezes considering the geographical challenges of the Ashton Court location. Avril Baker and her team did a superb job all weekend and deserve a huge round of :clap; :clap; :clap; for overcoming all the challenges this year. Joe public turned up in his/her thousands and hopefully generated enough financial momentum to carry some £ over towards the 2010 25th anniversary Bristol festival. The contribution from the Revolution family was warmly applauded at the Saturday night dinner.

Saturday night was fun, and ended up adding sizeable contribution to the '10 pot! Shame neither of us could match the oil money and ad Carl's sail to either of our collections... Although having met him after seeing one of his creations in the auction, I'm aiming to get one of Phill's collapsable planes next!

Sure the site was busy - but that's the nature of a good kite festival when the sun is shining. If you were adventurous (and walked for awhile ;) ) about your flying spot though there was loads of room to fly safely... .As seems to be the way recently the rev momentum keeps building. Lots of new fliers and new rev buyers appearing and asking for tips. It was a pleasure to chat and fly with them all.

As for next year, a couple of suggestions... I think a 4th (small arena) near the car park/dealers dedicated for lessons and flight/kite clinics would be possible with the space available, which might in turn help with making the rest of the grounds available more space efficient and stop some of the bat/sledge flying newbies clashing with sports kites etc.

And then make the 3rd arena slightly bigger and split the time available to sports flyers and for team warmups...

Thanks to all that managed to find the space suitable on Sunday, my efforts being appreciated helps. In the end I gave up on the real arena going up so brought my own stuff along on Sunday and put it up.

Special thanks to Dave and Felix for being available to help out with the rev novices that came along asking for help, it's not some thing I can do (yet).

Still wish we could put the arena up on the golf course though, away from those trees, but that's definately a no-no. Just a shame there is not enough time over the weekend for everyone to get a good go in a safe space, AirHeads crashed and burned on Sunday, probably because we had no chance to practice beforehand or even a decent warmup in the arena.

Thanks very much for your efforts Keith.

Warm-up can be very important indeed!

Our practice has always been about development rather than 'perfection' so there was one new move from Portsmouth and one new move from Bristol, both of which got an 'airing' in the arena last weekend. (The Burst Double Felix / Burst Compound Benefit and Rotated Side Slide Threads in case anyone noticed)

Felix