Quad sticks

nckiter

I went with the Zen Vision:M, been really happy with it... No need for that annoying iTunes, I can use it on anyone's computer and transfer photos from a card reader directly. ;)

Yeah, mine's quite simular. It just uses Windows Media Player. I don't like iTunes much. I do use Lime Wire a lot though!

I have the 80 Gb ipod and its kinda like overkill, but hey I have over 10,000 songs to fly with in all different genres. I will stand by the ipod name, I think they are top of the line. Everyone has there own opinion though. I would die without lime wire lol

I have the 80 Gb ipod and its kinda like overkill, but hey I have over 10,000 songs to fly with in all different genres. I will stand by the ipod name, I think they are top of the line. Everyone has there own opinion though. I would die without lime wire lol

20gb iPod for me and Mininova I found to many viruses on lime wire :D:P

If anyone wants info on quad sticks a good person to talk to would be Steve Pigeon. He made a instructional video on how to put them on your Rev. Honestly it is very cheap. He is also on this forum under "steve and sherri", "steve pigeon" or you can email him at SunsetFlyers (at) MSN (dot) Com. Im sure you could ask him to send you the instructional dvd. He will answer any questions you have and more.laugh.gifI myself actually learned this from my Uncle Jay Nunes. Steve is my stepfather so I'm sure I can get a copy from him if anyone wants it.

Well I just figured I would throw my two cents in about this again. I have flown with quad sticks for a long time now and this morning I decided I would cut them of and try to fly without them and see if it made a difference in the way the Rev flys and as I thought it did. My advice to anyone who has been asking about them is if you can fly well without them then don't put them on, the biggest thing I noticed today when flying without them was that my sail was filling up with a lot more wind. When you have quad sticks on they push on the sail and limits its ability to hold the wind. When you try and fly on those days where the wind is not the best and you need that extra lift it won't be there cause your quad sticks will reduce your ability to utilize what little wind there is. Now if your a beginner, throw them on they will make your life ten times easier, but for the more experienced, you can if you want to try them but its better without.

well i had a chance to fly paul lemasters kite with the sticks in a 3 mph wind and i like them his kite floats so clean .. much better then without im now going to build my self a set and have 1 1.5 with sticks and 1 without the long throw handles were diffrent then im used to but the kite blew me away thanks again paul :lol:

well i had a chance to fly paul lemasters kite with the sticks in a 3 mph wind and i like them his kite floats so clean .. much better then without im now going to build my self a set and have 1 1.5 with sticks and 1 without the long throw handles were diffrent then im used to but the kite blew me away thanks again paul :lol:

Very interesting. I was waiting for a review from someone who didn't already own them and flew for the first time. I wonder what happen with Ben looking into Rev making them?

Ant,

Was that a pure stock Rev with quad sticks that Paul LaMasters let you fly? He does a lot of other things to many of his Revs (bridle changes, frame changes, etc). Just wanted to ask since there needs to be an apples-to-apples comparison (ie, stock Rev with quad sticks vs. stock Rev without).

Jim

it was a stock rev with his own bridle and quadsticks .. everything was tuned to his area witch he told me has little to no winds .. mine however has only been tried once in a 4 mph breeze and i noticed that its much eazier to fly and hover in those condishions

I sent Ben back to Rev with a sample SUL 1.5 kite that has a few seasons worth of hours on it. He can disassemble and use whatever he wants. He's such a great guy and he's done a ton of promotion for his employer, since joining the team. Revolution is so lucky to have such a concerned employee, nobody wants it as perfect as the big fella.

We discussed adding covers over the knots on the bottom of the triangles too. He asked if folks would pay extra and I told him you either need magic sticks or covers over the bottom knots if you're flickin it inside-out reliably, particularly competitions. I told him I'd pay $20 bucks extra for 2 little belt loops. you could slap a piece of duct tape over 'em or sew you own covers, you could use an oh-ring instead of bungie, but you can't have those darn knots snag a flying line without a walk-of shame.

Two people asked me to do magic stick conversions for them,..... so I hope he gets this goin' ASAP!!!

The bridle mod isn't that big of a deal really, it's just built closer to the frame with a reduced hinge area so it's slightly more responsive. It was originally developed for a no-wind kite that could still use the SLE leading edge. We dumped the screening, made a no-sew single skinned sail and added some more surface area, then all the mass is at the leading edge and 3D moves are much easier.

Teaching lessons is where the sticks really shine though. Mike Mosman and I picked-out two girls that were sunbathing but watching us closely. We were to teach 'em for five minutes and then see who was the better flier was (the mentor's challenge is what we call it). We could talk to them but not touch anything AFTER the lesson.

mike won, but we had a great time laughing together, both the students and the mentors.

Thanks Ant,

The changes are the accumulation of a lot of hours in our local conditions. I used to live in Chicago, then moved to Ft. Lauderdale but when I made the DC Metro area my home, none of my darn kites would fly! I got so sick of waiting on the wind, I joined a club, met some other fliers and we proceeded to attempt to improve upon a great kite by modifying it.

We have done both the 1.5 Revolution and Steve LaPorte's Spirit kite as cooperative projects. You can make any kite better if you are patient. Need proof? How far different is the original REV 1.5 to Barresi's signature series that is available now??? You can feel the difference instantly if you have some experience with quad-lined kites.

3 or 4 of the our club's most hard-core faithful would assemble every Sunday and fly together, we'd change one thing and compare side-by-side. The biggest improvement for low wind conditions is the length of the handles, that represents easily a couple of miles per hour LESS on the lower end of performance. So the SLE will fly reliably in 3 instead of six mph as a box-stock kite out of the fedex tube!

Then we added more surface area to the sail and took away excess weight, that brought forth the births of the Ryvolution 1.6 and the Tirips (spirit spelled backwards). The scientific method is to change one variable at a time and compare the results. When everyone agrees that the change is an improvement we'd all incorporate it and go to the next thing. Imagine taking eight months to develop a bridle, the first few changes are inches different, then you get down to trying to compare a 5/8 of an inch hinge point vs. a full 3/4 inch. Finally everything you do is worse and you can only go back to what we started with in previous weeks! This process is a lot of fun,... we have a saying in WOW that we spend more time with the kites on the ground making adjustments than actually flying. <LOL>

What happens if you made the kite's size significantly larger or smaller? Well, you'd go thru the whole process again, but from a better known starting point using the proportions of the predecessor. That led to Kitesquid's famous 40 inch mini-Ryvs. He spent the whole summer making and modifying the things (I only had to fabricate the bridle and offer opinions on flight dynamics). Too delicate and they'd explode in flight, too durable and they wouldn't fly at all!

Several of our most active members are engineers, so if they can't buy what they want they'll go ahead and make stuff themselves. Kitesquid does tie-dye, but he uses Icarex-31 Polycarbonate fabric! That takes special acid etch dyes, 2 atmospheres of pressure and 240 degrees of heat to leach the colors entirely thru the material. He had to fabricate a pressure cooker and do various experiments. I bought the fabric and had it shipped to him, in exchange I got some of his first creative efforts.

After seven years of flying the stock Revolution products, I pushed several friends into doing cooperative projects. Since then I incorporate all the best stuff into my kites. It doesn't matter what comes on the kite, I'm going to change it over to my preferences. That doesn't mean it's better for everyone, but in my little group it is what we all considered an improvement based upon side-by-side direct comparisons.

My lightest weight kites are heavier and more durable than Dave Ashworth's,... his kites should be considered illegal!!!, in fact that is the nickname of his lava-flow Tirips. His kites can be flown standing on one foot in zero wind. They are too floaty for my liking, I want some mass to throw the kite around and jerk it out of the sky. Mike Mosman prefers the stock bridle, except on the 1.6 no-sew kite.

Check out the website; http://www.wowkiteclub.com/ to see Bob Lauder's latest patriotic creation loosely based upon the 1.5 platform.

His first kite took two years to finish, since then he's gotten better and a lot faster. Eventually he will compete in sport kites or kite building but he loves to entertain and teach lessons.

I am very lucky because I'm surrounded by great fliers and builders. My group prefers the quad sticks, we even use them on our indoor quads! Here's my latest creation to donate for some auction at Dieppe (it's in Canada this august, their theme is Mardi Gras).

i did like the handles and how light they were but so far i have had 4 to 6 here and the sticks are makeing hovers so much eazier to do as i did with yours i will take some time and try to make a lighter set of handles later on when you get to wildwood you can try it and tell me what you think ;)

yeah, those Ti handles are killer aren't they?

3/8 inch diameter, grade 5 titanium tubes with custom fishing grips and 17 inches (measured across the gap). Plus they are so light weight, but have been run over by the park service so they are strong too. You can feel the slightest flicker of wind pressure and you have so much throw you can really dump the air and flick the kite around.

Again, I credit Harold Ames with another excellent acquisition, he's the one that investigated, then bought the tubes and Glen Haynes DONATED those grips!

post-92-1178189659_thumb.jpg

Sorry Ant,

we can't do Wildwood this year, I'm using the dough saved to go to the Dieppe Festival (Canada) in August. It's our first international gig, so we're paying our own way for a week, travel, lodging & perdiem.

but I want you to go sit down and watch the Master's Multi-line Ballet whenever it's scheduled. Some of the folks in attendance represent our nation's very best. I'm a hacker and they are the true masters!!! Go see how the big-boys do it and marvel at how different they look compared to anything you've ever seen. Pick out one thing you think is particularly cool and then go ask one of 'em how it's done. Shawn, Scottie, Johnny B, Monica,.... there's a whole world's worth of different styles for you to witness and appreciate. They are all friendly folks and happy to share IF you ask.

I remember the first time I met Scottie and Lam,.... My wife was the pit-boss for MMB and she told Lam after he'd finished his routine

"My husband flies Revolutions too, BUT NOT LIKE YOU!!!" The next morning these two guys came out together to help me with a few pointers. It seems I was holding the handles upside down and had the frame members in front of the sail too, <HA! those were the days!>

You have a marvelous opportunity to see a few greats battling it out for supremecy. Take the time and go watch, in fact volunteer to be a shadow judge! Then you get to stand on the field behind the fliers and interact with the judging staff too. You will absolutely cut years off of your learning curve and be welcomed into a exclusive circle.

I will miss the fun unfortunately and seeing you again this year my friend.

I am so envious!

-paul

PS: if a cute little kid comes over and demands to fly your masterpiece pony it's okay,... he's Ian Willoughby. Don't make him angry either, he's only 7 or 8 years old now, but the day will come when he could completely embarrass you (or if you're nice to him now, he could let you down gently!) I've been beaten by him flying indoors when he was only THREE! He almost won Hot Tricks at the Smithsonian this year too!

thanks i will do that and hopefully get to learn some new stuff as i have been invited to fly with john and the wildwood i quad mega fly . i sure hope i can hang with them :lol: well i hope you have fun out there in canada and im truly glad i got to fly with you again in maryland check out rc dudes slide show we are both in it he did a great job

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Hey, anybody hear if the factory is going to start selling "ready-to-install" quad sticks yet?

I'm sick of making & givin' 'em away

and I have been advising folks to order direct lately

When Scotty was here at The Kite Shoppe last March, we made up a 'spec' sheet and parts list for the quad sticks.

Thank you Paul, for sending folks my way! :)

Theresa

the update is simple.. i got my hands on dave ashworth,s new sprit quad bat SUL that he made .. it had 17 inch wood handles .. the kite flew really nice with no wind at all .. once the breezes picked up i had to land it as the winds were too much for it.. like paul said his stuff should be illeagal.. i was tottaly amazed that with an empty beach my self and few others with these kites were flying with no effort at all.. dave you are the man ill see you in wildwood .. just know that my areas always has a breeze so bring the vents :kid_devlish:

Hi,

I'm in the research and development phase, having the end piece which connects all 4 lines across the back mass produced once that happens they can be made available so until I streamline the complete process, It's on hold, If anyone wants to make them contact Theresa @ (http:www.thekiteShoppe.com) she can get you the proper components and then just make the lines to fit (Tie as you go)

The new Barresi series kites might have different spec's line wise, I have the original bridle board but I need to modify to the Bseries! stay tuned.

Scott Weider :confused!:

• 4 weeks later...

To all,

I have spent the better part of the week tooling the original bridle board for the "MAGIC QUAD STICKS" I will be at Wildwood anyone interested in puchasing or just interested in what they do, seek me out and I will give a complete rundown on the philosphy and meaning of them, They are different not better, and can bring a little different flavor to an already great kite.

you can contact me at [email protected], or at" [email protected]" I will do my best to present one great accessory to a great kite.

SEE YOU AT THE WOOD!

Edited by Scott A.