Quad sticks

nckiter

After a full 3 hour session of zero wind, I gave my SUL a thorough go. We flew my Indoor Rev, my modified SUL, my buddies SUL and my other buddies Zen. Some Plutz gliders and a Vented iFlight.

The mods to my SUL were a significant improvement to me and suited the way I like to fly. Quick response to inputs. And a killer glide! Flat and effortless.

The glide I can attribute directly to the magic sticks as the kite wasn't under load and they have never been that impressive. I'm sure the new rods helped too.

Flight was sharp and somewhat zippy considering there wasn't any wind.

Spent more time on the Indoor and SUL than the Zen. I just couldn't gel with the Zen. That's a kite I'll have to revisit another time.

All in all, I'm really happy with my modded SUL. I realise that Sticks and the French mightn't be for everybody but it's working for me so far.

• Like 4

Your comments on not clicking with the Zen right away, are common! Not everyone feels right with that big wing and its flight style!! If you haven't flown them or a Rev I size before, it may take a bit to get used to the feel of it!! Like the mods - give it a good chance to sink in before an opinion is formed!!

As for the mods, you have it 100% - it fits the way you fly!! Every one has a certain feel they are seeking, the only way to find it is to try it!!ani_idea.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never thought I would chime in on this one too much. I flew basically all the sizes of sails with magic sticks in T.I. The differences on the Zen...2 different kites. The B and B2..I will be ordering a set for each to fly for a while...just for personal r&d. Just the tripping on lines problem would make them worth while in that environment.

• Like 1

I never thought I would chime in on this one too much. I flew basically all the sizes of sails with magic sticks in T.I. The differences on the Zen...2 different kites. The B and B2..I will be ordering a set for each to fly for a while...just for personal r&d. Just the tripping on lines problem would make them worth while in that environment.

Aaaahhhh, now I know who you were flying with.... They are worth the r&d for sure.

Adding the magic sticks makes for "different" flight dynamics to be sure, . . . not necessarily better. With that said, the complete modifications I have incorporated fit my own personal style very well!

At one point during TI last week Paul Dugard was handed my kite, WAY too long a set of handles, and too much brake, different bridle and sail construction. Darn it, he could still fly one in each hand (although not comfortably).

We worked on some slack line tricks for those curious enough to inquire about techniques. This is where the sticks really shine, 'cause you don't have to walk down there and re-set up your kite when things don't go exactly as planned.

Also, as mentioned about, when resting on the ground, the lines are completely slack which is nice for spectators who cross the field oblivious to the world (obliv-iots is the official term)

Lastly, sticks are pretty cheap and can be easily taken off if they don't do what you want.

The most amazing thing about the sticks is the glide gained for field recovery from the top of the wind window. Easily 3 or 400% of the altitude. The Zen almost rides out of sight, literally hundreds of feet, even dragging the abandoned handles underneath

• Like 2

<snip> The Zen almost rides out of sight, literally hundreds of feet, even dragging the abandoned handles underneath

I reckon that one of 'Ben's competitions' in light wind should be a downwind race. I went for a walk with a 1.5 with diamond rods recently. Two long pulls took it pretty much back to the top of the window...

• 1 month later...

If you made them yourself, you should end up with 3 lines making the trusswork! 1 line wingtip to wingtip, through the stick's cap, and 1 each for top to bottom on the verticals, also through the caps! Simple loops should be a good enough way to fasten them through the caps! I think if you go back through this thread far enough you'll see some plans Paul posted explaining them!!

• 4 weeks later...

There was light wind at my local field today, so I got out the Rev 1.5 Std, and flew it a couple of hours. I tried the things I did Sunday on the B mid vent with the magic sticks installed, and it was like night and day. Kept flipping the wing while trying to fly in reverse, while I had no problems doing the same thing this past Sunday with the magic sticks, at a much faster speed by the way. Same thing with inverted hover, easy with the magic sticks, more difficult without. Walking back and forth to the kite, staking, etc... thanks but no thanks. When I got back to the house, I called Flying Smiles Kites, and ordered another 16" kit for my standard Rev.

While I was on the phone, Eliot gave me a good tip that he said Cath had told him about. When finished flying, and taking the magic sticks off, to keep from losing one of them, just place them on the leading edge, under one of the bungee cords, before rolling up the Rev. Keeps them securely in place, and they won't fall out or get lost.

Put the second set of Magic Sticks on my ReV SLE with the race rods in it this morning . As I suspected, after flying it for about 3 hours today, it lost the rubbery feeling that I experienced with the Race Rods, and seemed more solid. Flipping the wing was reduced greatly, compared to before the Magic Sticks. Same improvement in reverse flight and inverted hovering. I'm sold on the Magic Sticks and will put them on any new Rev i get.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the same way after putting quad sticks on two of my revs. No death spins, inverted from ground to top. What a joy.

Personally I had no issue with either once my hands learned the required control ... but better a kite that you can fly than one you're frustrated with :)

• Like 3

Quad sticks maybe just a learning tool. I know it will be easier to set up without the sticks.

Added time to set up Rev with quad sticks, 30 seconds, insert two sticks and your done. Time saved by not having to stake kite and walking back and forth between kite and stakes, is enormous.

Once the sticks are installed...it is really no more time and effort involved.

I do see a learning curve change with sticks.the classic "training wheel".a light wind glide a different characteristics. On a good or mild wind day, my only benefits are recovery and slack line "storage" of the kite on the ground when not on use. I will continue flying them and will have a kite with a set for learners and roll up tricks... but still prefer my kites without them.

Just my flavor for now..

• Like 1