Vented Revs, with UL frames...

KiteLife

QuadKit,

I am totaly impressed! That is quite a bag! I don't think I can go quite that far just yet.

I tend to agree wigh Monkey and johnmitchell for a reasonable sized bag and that way all I need to ad is the SUL.

Looks like it's time to go shopping. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help and reassurance.

I am just obsessed with REVs, thats all. Sometimes precision can get boring after 5 hours of continuous flying. That's why I have the trusty speed series available for low to high winds. Anything below 2mph I just get out the 1.5SUL or the UFO.

When I want the speed with more control I go with the REV II.. again available in all wind ranges. When I want the power, pull out the blast or powerblast, which btw the Powerblast will fly in little or no wind. Get it above 8mph and the divestops begin to sound like thunder!

I carry all of that in 1 REV bag and 1 prism style roll up bag. It really is a lighter load than you would think!

There is a REV for every wind condition and every mood that I am in. Ask me how many dualies I have... 1 :) Hence the name Quad KiT ;)

I agree totally with you Quad Kit, the same goes for me. I fly out of my bag depending on the mood I am in....oh yea...the wind helps with that decision as well. On the way to my flying field I will watch the wind and start to get psyched on the kite I will be pulling out of the bag. Will it be the speed series, power series, 1.5, Rev 1, Rev II??? Maybe a couple of each. LOL

The amazing thing is how different each model Rev is from the other. Each one has their own personality which makes them unique.

While I talk a good game with respect to travelling light, I rarely do. My "A" bag currently contains about 5 1.5s and a pair oof 1s, and a pair of IIs tied together. My B bag contains a bunch more. And then there is my C "stand" in my hall. :blink:

Pictures this weekend of the whole collection if the weather stays nice.

If you pros ever get down to Florida, I guess I will just have to get better at flying. I'll never impress with my bag with you guys around. This form is costing me money! I just emailed my kite shop to see what they can get a 1.5 SUL for. It's not llisted on their web pages but I am sure they can order in the colors I wan. Is there anything I need to make sure of asking for when order? I assume I can just hook up to one of my linesets. I keep normal and blast (longer) handles sets ready to go.

I definitely don't judge a man or woman by how many kites they have in their bag, thats for sure. I judge them on how willing they are to teach me something new and fly with me, because I am always looking to learn something new and fly some REVs.

Kent, I get all giddy myself on the way to the field. Which kite will I fly today? What kind of a challenge am I up for? What type of routine will I try to fly to with the iPod? All these questions come up at once. Hence the reason my wife has to drive into festivals, I have almost wrecked 3 times!

quad kit i hear ya i get a spark that runs therugh me as well and lately the short line board walk flying has been it for me as long as i get a good southeast wind at 8 mph like ive been getting if we get that wind the weekend of wildwood youll have to try it with me

Mr. Denny,

I would insure you replace the SUL bride (with their standard model), as the light weight one will slip & slide out of adjustment in a very short time.

Dump the sleeving on your linesets and try out longer throw handle lengths with the SUL

Mr. Denny,

I would insure you replace the SUL bride (with their standard model), as the light weight one will slip & slide out of adjustment in a very short time.

No need to waste your money on a new bridle. I have used successfully two methods to hold those knots in place.

1. dip the knot in hot bees wax.

2. use a tiny drop of super glue on the knot. You might think it would make the bridle brittle and it would break, but it does not.

Your choice.

Dump the sleeving on your linesets and try out longer throw handle lengths with the SUL

No need to remove the sleeving. The weight and wind resistance is not noticeable. 80/90lb lines work great, but I can not recommend super thin 50 lb lines as they definitely knot too easy by themselves thus you would be spending too much flying time undoing the knots. All you need is someone stumbling over your lines and you got a knots.

Long throw handles, go for it. I use them all the time.

Whilst the SUL light weight bridles can slip it's not always a problem. I flew my team kite like it for months without noticing. Then some clown in my team equalised my flying lines and it was never the same again. B)

As John advises. Superglue is king. Another technique one of the guys in the team used was to tie extra overhand knots either side of the tow point knots. This also did the trick.

Better still, just take it off and then we can all fly like Lam :rolleyes: (I wish I could!)

It's funny that the SUL bridle slips gradually and you adjust to it with your flying and don't even notice for a while. Then one day you look at the bridle and slap your forehead. :blink:

I've used knots, but I like the superglue idea and will try that next time.

I think REVflyer dumps the sleeving because he likes doing slack line tricks and 3D moves in extremely light winds. Those sleeving knots can get hung up on the kite when flying in that style. The sleeving doesn't bother me for "normal" rev flying.

I'm also in agreement with John on the 50# lines. Some folks use them, but I get too many tangles. :angry:

• 3 years later...

Anyone ever tried this?

Point of note, most of the top competitive Rev pilots in North America use vented Revs with UL frames until the winds are high enough to require a change of frame... Something about the venting makes it fly SO SWEET, and with a UL frame you can often take it down to 5-6 mph.

Go try it, and tell us what YOU think!

I've just bought a 1.5 vented to fly with my older Rev I. It came with an UL LE plus a SLE set. From what I gather this should lower the wind needed to make for good flight if I use the UL set? Also my son has an older Rev II and I even still have an old Backtracker that I learned on! Been flying off and on for !5 -16 years, but still admire what I-Quad can do!! Thanks for any comments on this subject!!

I've just bought a 1.5 vented to fly with my older Rev I. It came with an UL LE plus a SLE set. From what I gather this should lower the wind needed to make for good flight if I use the UL set? Also my son has an older Rev II and I even still have an old Backtracker that I learned on! Been flying off and on for !5 -16 years, but still admire what I-Quad can do!! Thanks for any comments on this subject!!

Hi!

I see you are from Clackamas!

Any chance you'll make it to Lincoln City this weekend?

It's going to be a "Quadzilla" event!! :)

Hope you can make it!

Theresa

I look on the "perfect size" bag as :

1 Standard sail, 1 Vented

1 2/3/4 wrap framesets

and thats pretty muhc all you'd need for any wind.

of course, I tend to haul a few more around than that.

;)

Wow, wish you had told me that Years ago, would save me having to cart 2 bags of Revs around. :kid_devlish:

Missed this thread first time around, dont know why.

Going back to the first post, I just love venteds in as light a wind as I can get away with. for all the reasons that have ben mentioned.

And a vented Sedgwick with Race rods in, wOw.

• Like 1

My favorite kite is framed with a set of cut-down Skyshark (3P tapers -Black Diamond, cut the skinner end) down spars and a Race frame leading edge plus the french bridle hung on a pro b-series SUL mid-vent 1point5. It's mighty sweet and precise, yet still can do all the tricks I enjoy as a flailer. I try to fly the mid-vent SUL whenever possible, but around here lots of times the only thing that will fly is indoor stuff, (like half the year!, ~ summer is Zen Season in the mid-Atlantic states!)

oh, almost forgot!,... naturally it's sportin' a set of 16 inch magic sticks (training wheels) made of 125 carbon tubes also.

Edited by REVflyer

Hi!

I see you are from Clackamas!

Any chance you'll make it to Lincoln City this weekend?

It's going to be a "Quadzilla" event!! :)

Hope you can make it!

Theresa

Should be down for Sat. Went last year after missing several years due to bad hips! Went to both summer and fall events and didn't have any problem!! Was down there last week on Fri. and the weather was nice and the wind good, flew my son's Rev II all day long!! What a time with an old friend, a lonely beach, and good wind! Even if the wind isn't the best, at least got my flying fix for a while. Are they going to try to set the record on Sat. too? Only day I'll be there!! Glad to see some old friends that I only see at the festival. I'll be sporting a Winddriven hat and flying an older Rev I or a new red white and blue Rev 1.5 vented!!:blue-grin:

• 1 month later...