Light Wind Setup Opinions Wanted

Aerochic

I'm very curious about what your favorite Rev setup is for light and/or variable wind flying (aka: type of Rev, type of Rods, handle setups, etc). What is the lightest wind speed that you will fly in? I still feel like I'm searching for the right way to handle this type of flying. Could you please also include whether you are a coastal or inland flier? All info is greatly appreciated and wanted...

i fly in 0 to 40 mph as always and im bot an inland and beach flier.. i use 2 diffrent frames 0 to 2 i use my cutdown indoor frame for my 1.5 SUL .. and my race rods for pretty much anything else.. short lines play a good role too .. 35 to 50 foot 0f 50# will do it.. you can fly in light winds with #90 120 foot lines .. but if your learning i would do it on shorter lines and then move on from there.. i also have a light set of titanum handles i made myself witch are great for feeling the kite out .. some will like the heavier rev handles better i dont.. body movements are also a factor and learnig the hover witch we did in cape may will help you to also learn how to float a kite for regaining ground that you have lost from the low wind backwords walks

Ant is right the shorter lines will help you very much, I'm normally a beach flyer and I'm pretty spoiled with consistent 10-15 mph wind off the ocean, but there are many days where its dead flat calm with a puff here and there.

50'-90# with a standard B-series using race rods has outperformed my SUL as of lately, I made knots closer to the bridle points to take some of the slop out of the tag ends and if anyone hasn't tried this give it a go you'll be very surprised.

Fact is I'm not a big fan of the B-series over 8-10 mph but for ultralight unless you have a bridled indoor its tough to beat.

If you get a hold of a 100' piece of laser pro off a spool from a retailer try making a set of 25' with no sheathing just make bigger loops with pick knots and try that out, once you get the feel for really ultralight then start going longer or stay with the shorts if your comfortable.

Once you get the feel and the float down from then on its mostly self preference.

Good luck, Oh and I want your new kite :kid_smartass:

P.S. my favorite conditions for flying are 5-7 full vented with race rods, can't wait to get a midvent to bring that lower. :sign_kitelife:

A tip passed on to me by Mike Corey (spelling - sorry Mike) yesterday. "More is more" in this case. Put on more brake than you think you would need. It leads to a more upright sail and this more pull. This makes it easier to keep tension in the lines which is vital for light wind.

Tried it and it worked for me!

I only have a Rev 1 ('95) with 4 wrap 1/4" rods. I fly under 4mph with 50ish 90# lines. (cut down dual line set)

I have flown RescueRev's 1.5's with both the Professional only rods and the SLE. While he's still learning, I can fly 360's, axles and about anything I want with his Pro Only rods in the 1.5's on 50' 90# lines. Even the 85' lines. Race Rods are the stuff. (edited for the faint of eye's)

The Race Rods can take so much and perform that I don't suggest to him to switch to the SLE till we get above 15mph. I know thats probably a stretch, but they can handle it in my experience. If you have them or have the bucks to get them you should have a 2 wrap race set (down spar's included) 3 wrap and 4 wrap set. Even if you up the LE you could fly with the lighter down spars. I have NEVER seen a down spar even slightly bow. 2 wrap down spars and the LE of winds choice. With our collective experience here the LE is all that matters when flying. 2 wrap and what ever the wind calls for LE.

Dean

1/4" is the way to go for us experienced folk though.

ANT: Those titanium handles are sweeeeeeet! I could see where that would take some getting used to. I guess what I'm debating right now is whether I need to own a "light wind kite" like an SUL or a Midvent, or can I convert my 1.5 with the right equipment? Unfortunately, right now converting the 1.5 is a more realistic option financially speaking.

CLIN: I'm also wondering whether I need to invest in 2 wrap rods. Race Rods are ~always~ my rods of choice, but do 2 wraps fare better in the light wind ranges? Try your Race Rods sometime and tell me what you think comparison-wise.

FORT: Right now I am flying on 90' lines. I haven't tried shorter lines yet, but I'm also very intruigued with that thought as well. I wonder sometimes if the indoor Revs can be flown outdoors in Zero to Little wind.

ps. The Aerovent? Heh! It has that effect on people! LOL!... but it's mineminemine. I don't think I'd swop it even for a Bazzer.

SAILOR: Ooooooh. Now that's what I'm talkin' about! This is a great nugget of advice! Mike is from Illinios, so I bet he's knows a thing or three about inland flying.

DEAN: The Race Rods have given me the most advancement in my learning curve I must admit. The 3 wraps are great for the 1.5, but RRs blew them away. Still I find myself struggling a little with light winds tho. See my remarks to Clin.

TONY: That is ~exactly~ what I'm dealing with most of the time. I've been wondering if a Midvent is the answer. I don't want to fly just on strong wind days. Hmmmm...

I know you have 2 revs aerochic, but I can't remember which ones. Isn't your B a full sail? If so then it is IMHO nearly as good for light wind as the SUL, some people say better. So I would keep your limited budget in your pocket to be honest. As to 2W v RR, I would go for the RR every time - it is only a couple of grammes lighter, but every little helps. And the speed of recovery of the RR after you have given the kite a tug is great. So, a B with RR in and you are good to go.

Now the mid-vent. I managed to give my mid a bit of a work out this weekend. In anything under about 5 MPH it was harder to keep in the air. BUT.... If it got over that it ironed out the bumps and grinds beautifully. And boy was the air bumpy this weekend! So it may well be worth considering if you have some wind, but not a lot and not great quality.....

And then there is technique. Mike showed me how to do the float properly - hand that is controlling the upper wing right back . In fact it is even better if you can get that upper wing hand down low, then you can pull it back even further. Turn (your body) to be facing the opposite way to the leading edge as you float across the window. And it is sooooooo sloowwwwwwww, everything really gentle. Have a look at an iQuad/JB vid in light wind and I am sure you will see what I mean. Anyway I practiced my float like what he showed me and it really helped.

Remember a new kite costs a few bucks, but technique is free.

<snip>

I was also practising the new long arm technique this w/e

<snip>

New to you??

When Johnny joined the Decs in whichever year it was we soon found that he could not 'side slide' across the window because he was not not using 'long arms'!

I suspect that the wheel is being re-invented; no bad thing, of course!

I totally endorse John and Steve's active engagement with the kite even though it looks a bit extreme to the handle twitchers. <grins> (There is a place for 'handle twitching' as well, of course! Just differently organised, possibly)

Felix

yes before the rev clinic in Portsmouth no one had *actually* shown this technique to me.

I had only heard about it!

Please do not misunderstand this as critical in any way but consider the following question:-

What happens if the sails are driven/reversed only by pulling/releasing the handles in each hand? The sail is fully tensioned at all times with no directional bias!

I went out to learn how to fly a fighter kite with 'no instructions' in 1987. (no direction without flier input) In 1989/90 I went out to learn how to fly a 'four line' kite.

Why do you want 'someone' to short-cut the process for you?

Felix

I went out to learn how to fly a fighter kite with 'no instructions' in 1987. (no direction without flier input) In 1989/90 I went out to learn how to fly a 'four line' kite.

Why do you want 'someone' to short-cut the process for you?

Please don't misunderstand this are critical in anyway. Consider:

What are the advantages of taking 20 years to learn something, when the basics can be acquired in an afternoon? What benefit is there is shunning the advice of others rather than taking delight in sharing knowledge?

all I know is I have never flown with the hand down LOW past my side/hip/back before!

OK, try a window edge to window edge 'face down' side slide and report back! I am sure that you will be able to sort it out...

It can also be useful in presenting a 'full sail' to a light breeze at the edge of the window in the event that the kite has landed 'unconventionally' <grins>

Thanks

Felix

Please don't misunderstand this are critical in anyway. Consider:

What are the advantages of taking 20 years to learn something, when the basics can be acquired in an afternoon? What benefit is there is shunning the advice of others rather than taking delight in sharing knowledge?

I'm still learning, thanks! (Corey wondered why we were not better for it <grins>)

Edited again [Why do you think that I am not taking delight in trying to share knowledge?]

Felix

Here's my setup for light winds.

If the wind is 0-2mph, I use my rev indoor with 8-10 ft lines. 2-8mph I use my rev 1.5 SLE with a race rod frame and either 30 or 120 ft lines. My handle setup is the same no matter what. On a 1.5 my lines are on the end knots of the factory B-Series handles, and with the rev indoor, it's one knot back on the bottoms. I fly inland, and I tend to get a lot of gusty wind. And I fly indoors a lot. Wen the wind is light enough, I fly outdoors like I do indoors.

Why do you want 'someone' to short-cut the process for you? I am sure that you will be able to sort it out...

[grins]

I think that a 'positive feedback' loop can be fairly effective. Maybe you have further insight about the learning/teaching process that you may care to share.

An expression has been used here previously, not out of frustration... 'Just do it'.

Muscle memory cannot be taught in my understanding. You may, of course, have other insight here as well.

Felix

Someone send that girl some short lines. Then you can pracitce with what you have. You'll be amazed.

Any 1.5 w/out the SLE will work. It will take practice, but that's what we consider fun.

Next, talk Indoor for Xmas. The Indoor is good 0 -maybe 3 mph. So you can practice outside, especially around twilight.. which we call the dead zone. Seems like less wind about that time.

If you would like invitations in the future, then indoor flying is a plus, maybe even a must.

I'm inland and started with a 1.5 on short lines. It has a larger wind window then the indoor. It works in 0 to wind. lol When you get your indoor you will absolutely fall in love with it. 3-D flying feels like freedom of expression. Huh Spence?

What do I fly with? Different lengths of short lines, SUL handles, Nothing ever less then 90 lbs. I'm a drag queen and break anything under 90 lbs.

Practice long arms. Extend those arms out and that will give you more pull for lift. (We just started doing this because it looked better.)

Practice moving your body for no wind flying.

Practice pointing the bottom of your handles straight up. You'll have to create more lift if you don't give it more direction.

Yup, they've all said it; Practice, Practice, Practice.

Just Do it! from NIKE who did you know, is the Greek Winged Goddess of Victory?

BB Penny ~who looks forward to seeing you fly one day.

• Like 1

And then there is technique. Mike showed me how to do the float properly - hand that is controlling the upper wing right back . In fact it is even better if you can get that upper wing hand down low, then you can pull it back even further. Turn (your body) to be facing the opposite way to the leading edge as you float across the window. And it is sooooooo sloowwwwwwww, everything really gentle. Have a look at an iQuad/JB vid in light wind and I am sure you will see what I mean. Anyway I practiced my float like what he showed me and it really helped.

Remember a new kite costs a few bucks, but technique is free.

SAILOR: I think you are really hitting the crux of the problem here. Technique really is everything and once again I'm frustrated because I'm not learning fast enough (IMO). Admittedly, I'm my own worst critic. I have a 1.5 Std with preferred RR frames. I wasn't aware the RRs are lighter in weight than the 2wraps. I've just recently made some headway in hovering and should look into this "long arm technique".

WATTY & PENNY: Yes... I do think an indoor Rev is in my future. :? I've seen what you both can do with them indoors and out and I'm very intruigued. I pretty much agree with everyone here who has said I need to experiment with shorter lines.

Ok, so my ~Technique~ Laundry List is growing, and it looks like I should save up for some linesets in my future. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I realize there is more than one way to do things which is why I wanted to open this topic up to the forum. Y'all have been verrrrry helpful and my virtual ears are still open!!! :sign_kitelife:

Joe H did a very good video on light wind technique. I don't know if rev would have a back copy they would let you have....

I've heard tale of this. I know other instructional videos have ended up on foreign versions of Youtube, I should go searching...