Maintaining inverted hover help

John146

I flew my Rev 1 yesterday (the second time) and had trouble maintaining an inverted hover. I had to continually make adjustments with the left and right handles to maintain but I couldn't do it for very long. It wanted to rotate around and it wasn't very long before it went around and flew off.

Any tips for keeping it steady?

Try checking your brake line.

if you go up a knot towards the handle you'll find the oversteering will smooth out and you'll maintain less wobble and more stable inverted flight :)

It used to freak me out before I set my brake to more, and now I spend most of my time inverted Yay :D

Good luck and keep trying,

less is more

About half an inch nearer the handle. See the other thread ;)

But you also need the extended leaders on the top lines to have a significant impact. This has the effect of letting the top lines out a bit, which is much the same is bringing in the bottom ones when one thinks about it. About 9" long with a knot every half to three quarter inches.

Sorry, yes I was not clear on which leader is which.

Sailor is quite right, it is the bottom leader, tie extra knots in them if you don't have them already, every 1/2 inch or so.

I won't even embaress myself about confusion of some of the technical stuff on here, when I first started out...

faux pas along the lines of 3 and 4 wraps. :blush:

Of course it is easy when you know how, but to newbies it is never that clear!

Got to start somewhere ;)

A good tip Bob is,just use one side/handle to adjust and keep the other motionless.Its a good tip for any inverted moves.Try either handles,whichever suits ya best.Small movements,tiny adjustments.

.May work for ya,may not.I am sure with the other advice[minus the champs slide advice :) ]thers some help in ther.

Best advice, PRACTICE,,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE

BRIAN...if at first you,,,,, :)

All these adjustments will help, but you will not instantly achieve a steady inverted hover. The key is lots and lots of practice. Try starting out with the kite LE-down on the ground. Back it up into the air a bit and hold the inverted hover as long as you can. As soon as you loose it, get back to the starting position, and do it again. Remember to just make light adjustments. Any exaggerated movements when going in reverse, or holding an inverted hover will cause many problems.

I often suggest leading edge down on the ground... Lift one wing, set it down... Lift the other, set it down... Build up a rhythm, to develop your feel on the inverted controls.

Eventually, apply those principles (with small inputs) in the air.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips! Revs are a lot more work to fly well than duals. (It seems like quads and duals are two completely different animals.) I saw a few of John B's videos on YouTube and he makes it look so effortless! I can really appreciate his skill now!

I'll have to get some bridle line and make some leaders.

I was having a very hard time learning inverted hover.

Ron Despojado walked over and said "Do an inverted launch to about a foot off the ground. Hold it. When you feel you are loosing control, land the kite and start over." That worked for me. You will be able to hold the hover longer and longer each time until your brain gets the message, then it will be easier than an upright hover. Revs do really like to be inverted. Inverted slides are much easier than upright slides, once you get on to it.

... your brain gets the message ...

Well Jim, that must be MY problem ... that brain thing again! Maybe if I got an iPhone with the kite flying pictures on it! You think?

Seriously, I can do most other non-trick manuvers. They might look like a one-year old walking ... wobbly and right on the edge of disaster ... but, that inverted hover lasts about two or three seconds before the vertical rods start fighting over who's the tallest ... and you know the rest of that story. I'll practice the inverted launch method ... any other mental training wheels for the hover?

... any other mental training wheels for the hover?

if you can find yourself some 'clean' wind.

fly to the top of the window, turn over 180, start a slow dive stop,

more of a glide stop and stop the hover and try and hold it for as long as possible.

try it at various heights and see how you get on.

I did this on a beach with clean wind, and I got the eureka moment ;)

once you feel it, you'll recognise it in any kind of dirty unkind wind too.

FYI: it really hurt my forearms the first few times but it soons eases.

find what is best for you, and keep trying.

"There is another way"

if you can find yourself some 'clean' wind.

fly to the top of the window, turn over 180, start a slow dive stop,

more of a glide stop and stop the hover and try and hold it for as long as possible.

try it at various heights and see how you get on.

I did this on a beach with clean wind, and I got the eureka moment ;)

once you feel it, you'll recognise it in any kind of dirty unkind wind too.

FYI: it really hurt my forearms the first few times but it soons eases.

find what is best for you, and keep trying.

"There is another way"

Also,to completly wreck your head.As Choccy says above,but Step Into the kite[walk forward] as you turn it over at the top.It will,turn,and fall much better.

BRIAN...

I like Jim's suggestion to try hovering from an inverted launch. That looks like a great place to start.

(I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I've been using a Sport lineset that I got with my SS years ago. I made a new Shanti lineset but I still have to make sure the left set is the same length as the right set. Would the fact that a Sport set isn't as slippery as a Spectra set impact how the kite reacts when the lines are twisted around?)

I am not familiar with sports lines, but if they are not as slippery then yes it will make your life harder when tough. I have just taken a new set of laserpro golds and can do 11 full spins before I notice the lines starting to lock onto each other. On my Climax lines, treated with sewers' aid, I have not found out how many twists it is before they start locking - I get bored spining round before they tie up!

Thats how I learned the inverted hover was from a launch and learning to hold it about 6" or so off the ground. Another reason for learning this way is that you have the ground close by so you can tell for sure if your going up or down, side to side. Some ppl have the problem of learning to hover inverted of their thumbs rolling forward :kid_devlish: and the higher up you are the louder the bang into the ground is. LOL Know what I'm yakin about. It's funny kinda.

Dean :ani_punk:

Guest QuadQrazy

Ok inverted hover working fine, but how about inverted flying. (ie) LE down, and moveing kite to top of the window inverted, the kite always wants to right its-self (ie) spin around LE up, anyone else trying to fly inverted from bottom of window to top in a stright line, or am I trying to do something that the kite is not designed for ?

I have pigtails on my handles, and have found a happy place for brake.

Any sugestions ?