No Arvo Flight Yesterday, Responsibilities are beginning to creep in on my flying time
Well I Joined up to KiteLife… Very Happy about that. I feel that the Contribution that KiteLife makes to the Community needs to be supported.
And all those Sweet Tutorials are Pretty good too
I have been Downloading them onto My Ipod Touch.
To Paraphrase SparkieRob, I have a John Barresi In my Pocket.
This morning was nice, Light to Moderate winds when I set up the STD with 3 Wrap and 80# lines
I got in about an hour of Side Slides and Hover Position Practice.
Also doing some Power Dives too, that sudden stop is so sweet.
I was about to pack up when the wind dropped right down, A smile came across my face as I remembered my recently created 50# X 50’ lines.
Away went the regular lines, Out came the 50’s, Frame change on the standard to 2 wrap all round.
In under 5min I was ready to go.
My First though when I was standing there, handles at the ready, “Hey the Rev Looks bigger up closer”
Then it was only a matter of remembering all the Light Wind and Sail Loading stuff from John’s vids....
With A couple of Refresh looks at the Vids (Go go Pocket JB!) I was away.
I was able to Power up to a good height with 4 steps backwards and do Inverted Glides with 9 steps forward. Easily making up Ground.. Yeh!
I got the Side-Side climb going a few times too. All in about 3-5km/h (2-3mph) Ok not super light but Much lighter than my Previous flying efforts.
Awesome Morning. Two Great winds.
I would like to take a moment to talk about my Rev Kit.
B Series Blue/Black STD (3 Wrap)
B Series Purple/Black VTD (4 Wrap)
2 Wrap Frame
Second 3 Wrap frame
2 x Standard Handles with the B series Leaders
50# x 50’ Lines
80# x 85’ LPG Lines
150# x 85’ LPG lines
2 x Weight sets for the B’s
Golf Ball stake (Given to me by SparkieRob, thanks again)
(Soon a Mid vent Lime/Black will pop itself in there on the spare 3 wrap, Sail only on the way)
All of this is kept in a Hard case from a Dual line kite I have had for ages.
One thing that is awesome about this is, I can fly with my Kit slung across my back like a quiver.
I even have my Wind meter on the Strap. I can walk around as I fly without needing to stay close to my stuff. If anyone needs the Area I am in I can walk the kite elsewhwer and not need to go back for anything. I highly recommend keeping your kit easily portable if you can.
Of course if You bring a dozen Rev kites with you that’s great too.
Damon Meheux was already on site when we arrived today. The wind dropped as the sun broke through so it was a case of us switching from full vented as Damon had been flying to full sail with a short time with the mid vents in between.
Rowan decided to stick with the mid vent as a ‘training’ strategy ahead of Exmouth.
Some discussion today about stacking in the air and how there should not be any ‘pressure’ or need to resist unless a flier is really ‘not capable’ or not paying attention!
Some ‘face to face’ 180’s illustrated how this works rather effectively as the transition requires a complete switch ‘on the controls’ and there is no way of hiding if a flier is not ‘engaging’ correctly…
Another gentle day with thick low cloud and increasing humidity. The breeze was relatively steady so we were on mid vent/full vented 1.5 sails with race rods.
Nothing called but discussion was about the Canada events and ancillary plans for the 2017 Exmouth and Portsmouth events.
Some thoughts about 2018 plans as well…
Bright but with gradually increasing cloud today. The breeze was nominally from the SW but once again we had considerable variations in direction and wind speed, far from constant.
Mostly diamond LE and race/UL uprights.
Another quiet fly. We did decant the flight box, probably for the last time as we’ll need to replace it!
Hoping to finalise arrangements for the remaining UK events soon…
Clear blue skies today with only an occasional small cloud… Wind supposedly from the NW but we were seeing 90 degree plus shifts in a typical Blackheath summer breeze.
Full sails with ultra light, race and diamond spars. Nothing called, just winding down from the last two weekends!
The annual race/stroll event was taking place today so we did not bring the broken kite box to re-distribute team kites. That will have to happen another day. Plenty of opportunity ahead of Exmouth, the next calendar event!
We arrived back in the UK today after a fairly intense 10 days travelling and kiting in Canada.
The first weekend was at Saint-Honore in Quebec. The site for this event is a live airport. Flying kites on or close to the third runway was a novel experience. The other two runways were in use all the time, mostly light aircraft but also military and firefighting craft.
There was some rain on the first day. The second day was mostly sunny and ended with one of the best Rev Night Flies that I have experienced. As the performance was ending the rain started and as the lights shut down with the kites landed there was an intense shower…
The final morning was mostly wet and towards the end of the drier afternoon a thunder storm approached. We packed kites and then witnessed the formation of a supercell storm with the characteristic cloud formations and final deluge.
We then had three days wandering around Montreal enjoying some of the ‘cultural’ facilities <grins>
The second weekend was at Swift Current in Saskatchewan. This event has a reputation for challenging wind conditions but we had two days of sunny conditions and fairly benign but changeable breezes. The gopher holes and their occupants were very much in evidence on the flying field.
We had hoped to be six fliers for both events and we succeeded in finding a volunteer at each one to make the number…
A residual cold front passed over Blackheath around midday with some unusual cloud formations. There was some hope, once we realized what was happening, that the blustery SW air stream would calm down. It did not happen!
We were on full vented mostly with race rods which were definitely overstressed in the gusts. At lighter moments we were able to keep the kites in the air without trouble.
All set, such as one can be, for the visits to Saint Honore and Swift Current… Watching the weather forecasts for both sites is a bit interesting at this stage!
Not so hot today but there was a mostly steady SW breeze so vented sails with race rods to cope with the lulls. Typical summer Blackheath wind shifts were in evidence and the swifts were occasionally out in force again.
Nothing called today but we were set to prepare the kites for the Canada trip. 30 kites were duly checked and boxed along with spare spars and the ‘tent’. Excess sand was discarded as well...
I am now 2 clear months in to my new regime. It seems that the world at large is intent on upsetting my calm resolve but the absence of occupational stress has been significant!
Just need to get on that flight on the 15th June <grins>
The forecast was for 2mph switching from north to south or maybe the other way around at midday. Not a great prospect…
The net result was predictable, no wind!
The thick high cloud kept the temperature a reasonable c23c and the swifts were putting on a fine display with the very occasional (once today) head height pass.
The thundery depression moving up from the Bay of Biscay lost its bite soon after passing the Channel Islands and did not appear to be very intense when it reached the Portsmouth area c2:00pm.
We will hope for good flying the next two weekends ahead of the Canada trip <grins>
Another pre-11:00am start today. The wind was from the south but variable in the summer Blackheath way with thermal effect moving through, from very light to ‘quite strong’ and 90 degree direction shifts within a short, c2 minute, interval.
Mostly full sails with diamond LE and race uprights. One flier left diamond uprights in and lost one in a gust at the usual fail point…
Rowan opted for the mid vent and was able to use his rapidly expanding light wind skills and the extended handles to keep up with the rest of us…
A mostly called session today with Ashley refining the six flier thread to arcs and rotation with the ‘long’ get in.
Canada preparations are almost complete now!
Arrived just after 10:30am today as we had arranged to receive the team kites back from Cervia, courtesy Tom.
Bright and breezy from the west, 12 – 20 mph at a guess so we were on full vented sails with mostly race rods. Six up for a while as Damon had joined us again.
A mostly called session once we got going and even when we were down to four Ashley kept up the pace. We actually ran through one of the old prepared routines as well which seemed very short and un-demanding compared to some of the more recent efforts.
Four weeks now before the Canada trip. Just need to agree who is going to do the driving!
We were late arriving today, c11:30am and found Maggie already flying with Damon and his brother Justin.
I had to switch back to a 120ft line-set so as the beach events for the year are done I rolled out a new set of lines.
We flew six for a while with Damon and Justin but as they had been on the Heath since 8:30am they did not stay for long!
Some lazy free flying followed but as the northerly breeze was on the cool side we wrapped at about 1:00pm.
And then it was all over. Monday started with a light onshore breeze. All very encouraging. We went to lunch hoping for a classic Cervia afternoon.
What we got was a quickly increasing breeze which was probably a consistent 30 mph which simply closed the event…
We managed to get the kites and kit safely stowed without loss or accident but it was a close call…
We will hope to be back next year!
The JMH Rokakku was OK on the light offshore breeze first thing today. We did not really attempt to fly the Revs in the stop/start conditions.
As with yesterday an early lunch coincided with the breeze switching to onshore! We did not get into the arena early enough after lunch but will try harder tomorrow!
The 2 meter JMH Roks had an airing during the afternoon but the yellow one was not settled. A bit more fine tuning is required.
The final arena performance saw Tom getting into the groove of team calling. A very satisfactory result for the end of the fourth day…
Another fine day in Cervia. The wind switched at about 12:15 at which point we had adjourned to 111 for an early lunch.
We were intent on taking the opportunity to get some time in the arena after the early lunch which we duly did. Team for Fun joined us soon after 2:00 pm so we were able to combine forces for a while before vacating the space for the formal events which start at 2:30pm.
I had the opportunity to see Trevor’s portrait kite during the afternoon. Along with the other subjects I will be flying the kite at 4:00pm tomorrow.
The second day wind set in steadily from the SE again so there was a full Cervia sky
Not much room in the arena but we did get six kites up in the morning around the JMH rokakku.
Arena slots at 5:30pm and then the night fly where once again the JMH rokakku was the right kite for the conditions…
An excellent first day here in Cervia. Good onshore breeze form the start of play this morning…
Got to pitch the ‘tent’ in the usual place and get warmed up before lunch at 111.
The afternoon fly was a good rehearsal prior to an arena presentation called by Tom just before 5:00pm.
A bright morning but while there was some sun, the NW breeze was not warm.
The Easter Circus occupied our usual patch so we were on the east side of the road on the slope down to the pond!
Nothing formal today, just re-arranging the kite bag post Berck and getting 100ft line sets out for Cervia.
It will be an early start on Thursday but it will be great to set up the ‘tent’ on the beach again…
Nine days at Berck was a real treat. We were not subjected to any severe wind or rain/snow and the event ended on a summery high note and an accompanying grid-lock on the roads out of town early Sunday evening.
The Mega Team performed very much in line with our expectations, a respectable 56 on Saturday 8th April putting in a polished performance over something like 25 minutes… Winds on the light side made for demanding flying at times.
We’ll be going back next year, I’m sure, so I will be looking out for the dates in due course <grins>
Easterly breeze today, not quite as strong as last weekend so full vented with a mix of spars. The white ‘race’ type did feel a bit stressed, 4 wrap would have been better.
Free flying to begin and then a final called session as a warm up to the Berck event.
We did a shuffle of kites into an extra bag for ‘logistical’ considerations. A cabin on the beach is booked, we just need to make sure that we have enough chairs…
It will be interesting to see how many fliers do actually turn up for the mega fly ‘rehearsals’ this year…
A complete contrast this week with a strong westerly breeze. Xtra vents with four wrap were not too much effort except in the stronger gusts.
Final arrangements for Berck are in hand. We will be an eight person team for the whole week with three additional fliers for the last three days…
We will be travelling out on Friday 31st March, the last official day of my employment. It is going to be a strange moment!
The forecast for today was not good but the approaching front stalled during the morning so we did get to fly for a bit today.
Very little air movement as we walked onto the heath at about 10:30am. We decided to fly first and then check kit ahead of Berck. Full sails with diamond rods got us into the sky but little else.
The kit check revealed almost all was in order. Mostly green race leading edges in the vented kites. Diamond leading edges in the full sails with black race uprights. Four wraps in the Xtra Vents…
We ended up with kite lines at all points of the compass and as the few first spots of rain arrived decided to call it a day. 3 hours later it is still raining, albeit, lightly…
Windy today, from the South so for the first time in a long time we were on Xtra Vents. Jade was on the line today so we have ‘borrowed’ from him the sixth kite from our set for Berck just in case we do not meet up in the meantime.
The details for Portsmouth came through today so that should be finalized in the next week or so pretty much wrapping up arrangements for 2017.
I will not be flying next weekend as I have to ‘work’ on tidying up a server room in the ‘handover’ to the outside contractor who will be looking after the company systems when I leave at the end of March. What fun!